Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pulling Kids Out Of Daycare And Not Paying Remainder Of Term
missh222 10:09 PM 09-14-2013
Situation handled and lesson learned.
Evansmom 10:25 PM 09-14-2013
I think it all depends upon if you signed a contract and if so, what it says.

If you didn't sign a contract you are free to do as you like.

If you did sign a contract and it states how to terminate care them you need to follow those guidelines you agreed to or the provider can take you to small claims court to try to get the money you agreed to pay.

I agree that the provider should have talked to you first about your satisfaction with her service and not your 3 year old. And though probably unscrupulous, she's not breaking any laws filling your spots. She has to make a living to feed her family too. Sometimes spots take a long time to fill and maybe she was just beginning the process and the spots surprisingly filled quickly. You won't know until you talk to her about it.
Leigh 10:39 PM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by missh222:
I recently had my 3yr old and 1yr old in a full time daycare spot, they started 2 weeks ago and have been gradually increasing their time there, now going 10-5. Ive been having some complaints and uneasyness about this daycare, and guess my daughter overheard my husband and I talking about it. Due to work issues, new schedules and just being uncomfortable with this day we have decided to pull the kids from daycare all together and have my mom watch them in the afternoon. The communication between the daycare provider and us has been lacking and find Ive had to ask her about sleep, eating, things they did and just how their day was.

So I told her yesterday they werent going to continue and asked how much notice I had to give, and she said usually 1 month but shes already replaced their spots as she figured it was coming to this with things my daughter had been saying about what my husband and I have been talking about.

I was a little taken aback by this and didnt know what to say. Ive never said anything personal about her, just questioning things about the daycare.

So anyways, I come home and find she had posted on the internet the day before that she had 2 full time spots available immediately -so I was quite annoyed that she replaced my daycare spots BEFORE anything was said to me or my husband and makes me question if was was going to tell me at all or wait till the last day.

So my question is, I have paid her up until this point, but have 1 more scheduled payment to her this week. Do I continue to send my kids their for the last 2 weeks and pay the remainder or pull the kids now, not pay her the remainder for the kids not being in her care and for her not even talking to us about dropping us from daycare. Im also concerned if my kids continue to go there, will she treat my kids differently when she obviously has a problem with my husband and I.

Thank you!
IMO, she filled the spots because you were planning to bail on her and hadn't discussed your plans with her. If you signed a contract with her, you will be held to it in court. The smart thing to do would be to pay what you agreed to in your contract to avoid adding legal fees to the amount still owed. A good provider, even a decent one, would not mistreat a child because of a tiff with the parents.

I wouldn't assume she "has a problem" with you and your husband, but when she KNEW that you were pulling your kids from her care, she had to fill those spots, because unfilled spots don't support HER family.

As far as how the kids' day goes, what they ate, whether they napped: I don't discuss mundane things with parents, either, or I'd have to stay open an extra hour to talk to parents. They know to just assume it was a good day unless I tell them otherwise. If their kid did something especially cute, I tell them. If their kid hit another kid, I tell them. If their kid didn't eat well that day or did something unusual, I tell them. I would not stand around telling parents that their child had french toast and sausage, cantaloupe, a cheeseburger, a baked potato, green beans, 3 glasses of milk, an apple, a cup of yogurt, and a graham cracker...no way could I do that 6-12 times in 10 minutes.

What you could do differently next time is to ask your provider to print a daily sheet for you or to e-mail you about the kids-THAT is something that could possibly be done at nap time when she is not busy with the kids or other parents. If you have a problem with your next provider, addressing it directly with her would be the first step to a solution. If you're planning to pull your kids, give appropriate notice before the kids tell her (kids ALWAYS tell).
lovemylife 06:03 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
IMO, she filled the spots because you were planning to bail on her and hadn't discussed your plans with her. If you signed a contract with her, you will be held to it in court. The smart thing to do would be to pay what you agreed to in your contract to avoid adding legal fees to the amount still owed. A good provider, even a decent one, would not mistreat a child because of a tiff with the parents.

I wouldn't assume she "has a problem" with you and your husband, but when she KNEW that you were pulling your kids from her care, she had to fill those spots, because unfilled spots don't support HER family.

As far as how the kids' day goes, what they ate, whether they napped: I don't discuss mundane things with parents, either, or I'd have to stay open an extra hour to talk to parents. They know to just assume it was a good day unless I tell them otherwise. If their kid did something especially cute, I tell them. If their kid hit another kid, I tell them. If their kid didn't eat well that day or did something unusual, I tell them. I would not stand around telling parents that their child had french toast and sausage, cantaloupe, a cheeseburger, a baked potato, green beans, 3 glasses of milk, an apple, a cup of yogurt, and a graham cracker...no way could I do that 6-12 times in 10 minutes.

What you could do differently next time is to ask your provider to print a daily sheet for you or to e-mail you about the kids-THAT is something that could possibly be done at nap time when she is not busy with the kids or other parents. If you have a problem with your next provider, addressing it directly with her would be the first step to a solution. If you're planning to pull your kids, give appropriate notice before the kids tell her (kids ALWAYS tell).

You have to follow out your contract. Just because you decided to leave doesn't mean the provider is going to be mean or be treated unfairly. As for the communication, It takes 2. If you had a communication issue with the provider you should have talked to her about it. With your next provider make sure to tell them what you expect, don't make them guess.

Children repeat everything! She is with in her right to look for replacement if a family is leaving. I understand you are frustrated with her but it doesn't sound like she has done anything wrong.
JoseyJo 06:32 AM 09-15-2013
Regardless of your satisfaction with her you are still held to your contract.

From a daycare providers standpoint: If a 3 yo started telling me how dissatisfied her parents were with the daycare I would be very upset that either 1. these parents talk about issues like that where their children can hear or 2. that they have so little respect for me that wanted their 3 yo to overhear and tell me as a passive aggressive move instead of speaking to me.

In this situation I also would have posted to fill the openings. What would you do if a co-worker told you that your boss was getting ready to fire you? Would you start looking for another job? That is what she is doing.
lovemylife 06:37 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:

In this situation I also would have posted to fill the openings. What would you do if a co-worker told you that your boss was getting ready to fire you? Would you start looking for another job? That is what she is doing.
Great example!
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 09-15-2013
It's obvious that you and the provider have some communication issues.

If your provider has filled your space and plans on starting the new kids immediately, I would think you should not have to pay for that final month.

The point of a notice of withdrawl is so that the provider has time to fill the gap in her finances when a family decides to leave.

As a parent, I would NEVER send my kids anywhere I was uncomfortable with. If you are required to pay for the final month, I would pay the fees but would NOT send my children.

At this point you need to have some straight up communication with your provider. Ask her if she planned on starting the new kids immediately or not and then go from there.
julie 07:48 AM 09-15-2013
For what it's worth, I don't see what you are upset about. This is the best possible termination situation around. You have alternate care for your kids to go to immediately, she has people to fill the spots. No one is out their income.

Are you mad because she took the wind out of your sails a bit by knowing your plans? What was the reaction you were hoping for? The thing is, there is a bit of a double standard here. If you are going to do the best thing in the interest of YOUR family, you can't really blame the daycare provider for doing the best thing in the interest of HER business and HER family. If a 3 year old told me repeatedly that they are going to be cared for Grandma instead and my parents don't like my daycare...well, sorry, I am going to be advertising to fill the spaces. Especially for siblings, which are bigger income chunks. And no, I wouldn't be telling you my plans any more than you thought it was necessary to tell me your plans right then when you are prepared to give notice.

If I hadn't filled the spot before you gave me notice, then I would probably require the full notice so I could line up a new client. If I had interested people, I would offer the current family the required notice and then would offer a start date the new family. If the older clients didn't want to use their notice period, then I would offer to let them out earlier if my newer family was chomping at the bit to get started. She probably thought she was being kind by not requiring the month's notice she usually does. Did you not clarify what needs to be paid in the same conversation? Why did you not ask her?

The best thing to do is not ask the internet but the provider herself. These are where your problems are stemming from - not getting the story from the provider herself and making your own assumptions. Making a rude comment that you are not sure about how she would treat your kids during the notice period because she called you on what you were planning to do seems petty. If you don't like the care, don't bring them back. It's simple. She let you out of the notice period because she has replacements. Ask her what she expects monetarily instead and go from there. Thirdly, please don't take it too personally that sometimes clients are just as expendable to providers as we are to parents. It's just business. Not everyone is a good fit. She might have had the exact same reservations about you. Don't take it too personally and hope you are happy with Grandma's care.
Play Care 09:35 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by julie:
For what it's worth, I don't see what you are upset about. This is the best possible termination situation around. You have alternate care for your kids to go to immediately, she has people to fill the spots. No one is out their income.

Are you mad because she took the wind out of your sails a bit by knowing your plans? What was the reaction you were hoping for? The thing is, there is a bit of a double standard here. If you are going to do the best thing in the interest of YOUR family, you can't really blame the daycare provider for doing the best thing in the interest of HER business and HER family. If a 3 year old told me repeatedly that they are going to be cared for Grandma instead and my parents don't like my daycare...well, sorry, I am going to be advertising to fill the spaces. Especially for siblings, which are bigger income chunks. And no, I wouldn't be telling you my plans any more than you thought it was necessary to tell me your plans right then when you are prepared to give notice.

If I hadn't filled the spot before you gave me notice, then I would probably require the full notice so I could line up a new client. If I had interested people, I would offer the current family the required notice and then would offer a start date the new family. If the older clients didn't want to use their notice period, then I would offer to let them out earlier if my newer family was chomping at the bit to get started. She probably thought she was being kind by not requiring the month's notice she usually does. Did you not clarify what needs to be paid in the same conversation? Why did you not ask her?

The best thing to do is not ask the internet but the provider herself. These are where your problems are stemming from - not getting the story from the provider herself and making your own assumptions. Making a rude comment that you are not sure about how she would treat your kids during the notice period because she called you on what you were planning to do seems petty. If you don't like the care, don't bring them back. It's simple. She let you out of the notice period because she has replacements. Ask her what she expects monetarily instead and go from there. Thirdly, please don't take it too personally that sometimes clients are just as expendable to providers as we are to parents. It's just business. Not everyone is a good fit. She might have had the exact same reservations about you. Don't take it too personally and hope you are happy with Grandma's care.

I recently stopped doing daily reports for my clients because I kept finding them crumpled in the bottom of diaper bags and back packs, unread. If someone communicated to me that they would like me to start again, I would.
Maria2013 09:47 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Maria2013 09:49 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:

Starburst 12:14 PM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by missh222:
I recently had my 3yr old and 1yr old in a full time daycare spot, they started 2 weeks ago and have been gradually increasing their time there, now going 10-5. Ive been having some complaints and uneasyness about this daycare, and guess my daughter overheard my husband and I talking about it. Due to work issues, new schedules and just being uncomfortable with this day we have decided to pull the kids from daycare all together and have my mom watch them in the afternoon. The communication between the daycare provider and us has been lacking and find Ive had to ask her about sleep, eating, things they did and just how their day was.

So I told her yesterday they werent going to continue and asked how much notice I had to give, and she said usually 1 month but shes already replaced their spots as she figured it was coming to this with things my daughter had been saying about what my husband and I have been talking about.

I was a little taken aback by this and didnt know what to say. Ive never said anything personal about her, just questioning things about the daycare.

So anyways, I come home and find she had posted on the internet the day before that she had 2 full time spots available immediately -so I was quite annoyed that she replaced my daycare spots BEFORE anything was said to me or my husband and makes me question if was was going to tell me at all or wait till the last day.

So my question is, I have paid her up until this point, but have 1 more scheduled payment to her this week. Do I continue to send my kids their for the last 2 weeks and pay the remainder or pull the kids now, not pay her the remainder for the kids not being in her care and for her not even talking to us about dropping us from daycare. Im also concerned if my kids continue to go there, will she treat my kids differently when she obviously has a problem with my husband and I.

Thank you!
1) Kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for, they hear and understand a lot more then you think they do. However, most kids under 6 years old don't yet have the "filter" to understand that while we should tell the truth, that the truth can hurt and that there is a difference between telling the truth and tattling/gossiping.

2) There is 3 sides to every story: yours, hers, and somewhere in the middle the truth. Your comments may have seemed innocent to you but depending on your tone or how many times you asked they may have seemed passive aggressive, undermining, judgmental, or even snide to her. It especially doesn't help if your child overheard you and repeats everything you say behind her back.

3) Don't take it personally, remember this is her livelihood and she has to take it seriously! In this economy, having two full time kids can mean the difference between having to choose between paying the bills or feeding her family. Between your daughter telling her about what you and your husband say behind her back and you always micromanaging her schedule/choices, she probably figured that you weren't happy there and that it would only be a matter of time before you would want to make other arrangements. Just like you wouldn't want your kids to be in her program if they were unhappy; she wouldn't want you and your children to be in her program if either of you are unhappy. If you knew your boss/company was unhappy with your performance wouldn't you try to look for other jobs? She has a family to provide for too, just like you.

3) If she is professional enough and you decide to let your children continue going there for the rest of the time she will still treat them, you, and your husband as she always has. But that doesn't mean she isn't upset or hurt about the comments; which, quite frankly she has a right to be. And no, being nice to someone you are mad or upset at is not being "fake"; it's called being civil, and in this case being professional.

4) If you have a contract and it says you are required to pay for the last 2 weeks weather your children attend or not, you are legally bound to it. If you don't pay she can either take you to court or sell your debt to a collections company that will pester you until you do pay.

Honestly, if you didn't leave willingly she probably would have to wind up terming you eventually, if the passive aggressive comments and your daughter's "My mommy and daddy said" stories continued. Parent's may not always take what a 3 year old has to say seriously, but child care providers do!
MyAngels 08:29 PM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by julie:

blandino 09:16 PM 09-15-2013
The PPers are right. Your provider realizing it was a poor fit and looking to fill your spots, is no different than you deciding that you want to look elsewhere for childcare. You are just experiencing it from the other side.
Tags:payment - due
Reply Up