Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Strange Daycare Admissions Policies
Unregistered user 10:59 AM 07-21-2016
Greetings. I have been searching the internet for some insight into this question and haven't come up with anything, so I am hoping to get some perspective from you wise people.

We are currently considering switching our 6 month old DD from one daycare to another. We like our current center and our DD is doing very well there but there have been some turnover issues and some pretty aggravating communication problems with the director. That said, our situation is good and moving her is not urgent.

We have recently found another daycare (which also offers preschool) with dual language immersion and a farm-to-table food philosophy, and we are very excited about it. It is a little less expensive than what we are paying now by $100/month...not monumental but not nothing either.

But here are two strange things:
First, they ask for an interview playdate with our daughter to judge her developmental progress without us present. We can deal with this but wonder why they would do this with babies. Do they really reject some infants because they aren't hitting all of the CDC benchmarks exactly on time? (FYI, it is not a Montessori school) It just seems odd.

Second, they ask for a $1500 reservation fee THAT DOESN'T COUNT TOWARD THE FIRST MONTH'S TUITION. In other words, it's just an extra $1500 thrown in for good measure. We have looked at a lot of daycares and this is the first time that we have come across this. I told the director this and she shrugged it off, and said that it technically counts toward the tuition cost, i.e. if they didn't charge it, tuition would be $125 more a month. With all of this included, it is still less than our current daycare (because of a discount I get through my company) but still seems egregious.

Now, unlike many daycares at this price point, they do offer financial aid but even so, the whole thing (interview plus sizable upfront fee) is at least odd if not slightly discriminatory. What do people think?
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered user:
Greetings. I have been searching the internet for some insight into this question and haven't come up with anything, so I am hoping to get some perspective from you wise people.

We are currently considering switching our 6 month old DD from one daycare to another. We like our current center and our DD is doing very well there but there have been some turnover issues and some pretty aggravating communication problems with the director. That said, our situation is good and moving her is not urgent.

We have recently found another daycare (which also offers preschool) with dual language immersion and a farm-to-table food philosophy, and we are very excited about it. It is a little less expensive than what we are paying now by $100/month...not monumental but not nothing either.

But here are two strange things:
First, they ask for an interview playdate with our daughter to judge her developmental progress without us present. We can deal with this but wonder why they would do this with babies. Do they really reject some infants because they aren't hitting all of the CDC benchmarks exactly on time? (FYI, it is not a Montessori school) It just seems odd.

Second, they ask for a $1500 reservation fee THAT DOESN'T COUNT TOWARD THE FIRST MONTH'S TUITION. In other words, it's just an extra $1500 thrown in for good measure. We have looked at a lot of daycares and this is the first time that we have come across this. I told the director this and she shrugged it off, and said that it technically counts toward the tuition cost, i.e. if they didn't charge it, tuition would be $125 more a month. With all of this included, it is still less than our current daycare (because of a discount I get through my company) but still seems egregious.

Now, unlike many daycares at this price point, they do offer financial aid but even so, the whole thing (interview plus sizable upfront fee) is at least odd if not slightly discriminatory. What do people think?
I don't think it's that odd per say for them to ask for a "play date" with your DD. I doubt they deny enrollment based on her developmental benchmarks but I am guessing its more so they can see where your DD lies on the developmental charts verses asking you. I have yet to have a parent see what I see when observing a child.

As for the money requested up front.....I have heard of programs requiring a deposit and/or an enrollment fee but not one that high and not one that isn't at least credited towards the first OR last month's tuition.

Wondering though what you feel is discriminatory though?
Thriftylady 11:30 AM 07-21-2016
Well I can see asking for the play date. They could use that for various reasons. They could just be looking for what group to place your child in.

The upfront fee, I have never heard of that before, but at the end of the day all daycare owners are free to set their prices and policies. As long as people will pay it they can charge it. But if it makes you feel uncomfortable, then don't pay it and choose a different care option.

It isn't discriminatory if they are charging it to all clients (except those who qualify for whatever their standard for financial aid is, if the aid applies to that.). It would only be discriminatory if they are charging it only to female children, or only white children, etc.
Cat Herder 11:49 AM 07-21-2016
Sounds like they polled local daycares for rates, advertised lower to pull you in, then added that amount back once you saw what they offer has value.

If they had advertised the real price upfront would as many people come in to tour?

Business.

The play date may be to see how well baby takes a bottle or if he/she screams when put down.
Leigh 12:35 PM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sounds like they polled local daycares for rates, advertised lower to pull you in, then added that amount back once you saw what they offer has value.

If they had advertised the real price upfront would as many people come in to tour?

Business.

The play date may be to see how well baby takes a bottle or if he/she screams when put down.
That is GENIUS! I am going to implement that playdate at my next interview! I have a kid now who can only nap when being held (18 months old) and has been held for naps his whole life. NOT a pleasant day when he needs to nap here. Of course, parents don't mention that BEFORE starting child, only after two weeks of panicked screaming at naptime.
Unregistered 12:36 PM 07-21-2016
Thanks so much for your feedback.

You're right about it not being true discrimination if they are charging everyone the same thing, it just feels like a way to weed out those who can't afford to pay $1500 upfront (I am not sure you can apply for financial aid for this part) and/or those who can't afford to take the time off work to bring in their babies for a play date. I don't know, it seems like the kind of thing that you hear about in reference to those super chichi preschools in Manhattan (we live in a big city but not New York). Plus, they don't tell you if you are admitted at the play date, you have to wait to get word of their official admissions decision.

And, the $1500 reservation fee is on their website but it isn't explicit so we naturally thought that this applied to a month of tuition, which is the case for even the most expensive daycares we looked at (including the one our daughter currently attends). We didn't find out this wasn't the case until we went for a tour.

True, we don't have to move forward with the process. I am still trying to work through it all and don't have a lot of mom friends to ask so I just wanted to get some perspective on whether it was normal or not.
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

You're right about it not being true discrimination if they are charging everyone the same thing, it just feels like a way to weed out those who can't afford to pay $1500 upfront (I am not sure you can apply for financial aid for this part) and/or those who can't afford to take the time off work to bring in their babies for a play date. I don't know, it seems like the kind of thing that you hear about in reference to those super chichi preschools in Manhattan (we live in a big city but not New York). Plus, they don't tell you if you are admitted at the play date, you have to wait to get word of their official admissions decision.

And, the $1500 reservation fee is on their website but it isn't explicit so we naturally thought that this applied to a month of tuition, which is the case for even the most expensive daycares we looked at (including the one our daughter currently attends). We didn't find out this wasn't the case until we went for a tour.

True, we don't have to move forward with the process. I am still trying to work through it all and don't have a lot of mom friends to ask so I just wanted to get some perspective on whether it was normal or not.
Absolutely could be the reasoning. From a business stand point I can totally see why they'd do that....nothing worse for a provider to take the time to interview, cover the policies etc, do all the paperwork and registration required to enroll and then have a family/child not work out due to misrepresentation.

I've had lots of families that swore up and down their child could do X or that the fees or weekly tuition was something they could easily manage only to find out later that their child was no where near the developmental milestone they were supposedly at or the family suddenly had money issues and either can't pay, won't pay or uses the "I didn't understand how you billed for that" line.....

I think that although it's a ridiculously high amount, I still see the value in it for sure!

You are smart to weigh your options though but I am curious about the communication issues and the turn over.

Is there a reason for the turnover or is it just regular turnover that seems to happen in centers frequently at times? Are the communication issues something new or something you feel you could possibly rectify with a meeting/discussion with the director?
Thriftylady 01:10 PM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Now I want to put this policy in place! If you can't get off work to bring your child to the play date, what are you going to do when they are sick and you have to pick them up at daycare?
Tags:bait and switch, business ethics, business management, expectations
Reply Up