Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inquiry From My Website
melissa ann 02:03 PM 04-04-2011
I got an email from someone who saw my website. She is a friend of someone in my family. She wants to move into the town where I live and has 4 children. Her schedule might be a little sketchy as she is a hairstylist and if clients come in late, she would be late getting the kids. She also wondered about prices (it's listed on my site) because she is a single mom, who relies on her tips to get by.
This is pretty simple for me, as I can only have 3 kids, since I"m not licensed. ( I do not want to care for more than that either) But already, I can see red flags. Maybe late sometimes, (wouldn't work for me, since my kids and my self have activities in the evenings sometimes starting as early as 5:30, 30 mins past closing time) and $ issues. She may qualify for assistance but I've been down that road before, and will not do that again.
ninosqueridos 02:22 PM 04-04-2011
The "I might be late sometimes" is comical. They didn't even start yet, and they're already warning you....gotta love those parents.....
cheerfuldom 02:43 PM 04-04-2011
It sounds like way to many iffys with her. You might send her your contract and reiterate that you are currently not taking state pay and that she would need a backup plan should her schedule not allow for timely pickups. All of this info. is her way of saying "prepare to put up with me because I am high maintenance and unreliable"
MsMe 02:57 PM 04-04-2011
I love those parent who 'would be late sometimes' I would never comsider taking a child(ren) from a parent in this situation. Yes I have had parent have a dead battery or a last minute once a year problem at work but never a parent who think it is o.k. to just show up when ever they feel like it.
mac60 03:04 PM 04-04-2011
Stay away.... Too many red flags like the others pointed out, especially the poor me I am a single mom with 4 kids act. If you can't afford them don't have them. That is a whole other subject.
momatheart 04:09 PM 04-04-2011
I would not take her on. Maybe email her back and say sorry I am not a good fit for you but to help you out in finding care I have a few other providers listed at the bottom of this email good luck to you in your search.
Evansmom 05:19 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I would not take her on. Maybe email her back and say sorry I am not a good fit for you but to help you out in finding care I have a few other providers listed at the bottom of this email good luck to you in your search.
I agree with what momatheart says. Offer to help her find someone who can help her but that it wouldn't work for you. In my contract it states that I close at 6pm SHARP! And that's sacred for me. Sounds like it's important for you too. What I have found is that if I bend rules that I make then I regret it later.
QualiTcare 08:03 PM 04-04-2011
who said she gave a "poor me, i'm a single mom" act? who WOULDN'T ask about prices? especially having four kids?

maybe she could afford them when she had them. maybe her husband died. maybe her husband decided to turn into a drunk idiot and started treating her badly. maybe he ran away to europe with someone younger and hotter. who knows what the story is, but to say "if you can't afford them don't have them" with SOOOO little information is absurd.
mac60 02:24 AM 04-05-2011
Decided to put it in a pm.
melissa ann 03:36 AM 04-05-2011
She said that she wanted to talk about her needs and what I would charge her. 3 of the kids are in school. I guess I should put on site that I only take kids up to/including kindergarten. I do list that I do preshool activities. I even listed 3 full-time openings. She has 4, even though they are in school, at some point they would be in my care, and I can only have 3 anyway.
I like the suggestion about listing other providers in the area.

I listed 3 openings, because if I can replace all of my part-timers, and if mom decides to pull her 2 kids (from not looking good post) I will replace them.
mac60 04:36 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
who said she gave a "poor me, i'm a single mom" act? who WOULDN'T ask about prices? especially having four kids?

maybe she could afford them when she had them. maybe her husband died. maybe her husband decided to turn into a drunk idiot and started treating her badly. maybe he ran away to europe with someone younger and hotter. who knows what the story is, but to say "if you can't afford them don't have them" with SOOOO little information is absurd.
My comment was based on my interpretation of the post and my own personal experiences, it is not obsurd, it is fact that this sydrome exists in our society today.

I am sorry Melissa if I read too much into your post and if my comment offended you. It was not my intentions.
melissa ann 02:02 PM 04-05-2011
Mac60, I was not offended by any of your remarks. I don't know her circumstances on why she's a single mom of 4, but I was bit leary of that.
I don't want to sterotype, but we've all seen this situation before. But anyway, she has too many kids for me to watch and I don't want to have just one family in my care. If they split, I'd be out of $.
Tags:late pickup, potential client
Reply Up