Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Oatmeal Ideas
thecrazyisout 05:55 AM 04-05-2011
So I thought I would share what I do as an add on for my oatmeal.....my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE it...

I add triple berries (frozen) right into the warm oatmeal and it separates. The blue berries don't. Then I add a little bit of brown sugar to remove the tartness of the fruit. My kids LOVE this and ALWAYS ask for more. My son just ate three helpings this morning...

I also add banana......pumpkin, and pumpkin pie seasoning..applesauce and cinnamon....

Any other seasonings or fruit ideas??
SilverSabre25 06:20 AM 04-05-2011
when you start to heat the water, toss in dried fruit (raisins, cherries, and apricots are favorites--cut the apricots into quarters). It softens as the water heats and releases natural sugars that make it unnecessary to add extra sweetener.

Raisins and cinnamon is a favorite combination
butter and brown sugar
milk and honey
maple sugar and vanilla
Pammie 07:44 AM 04-05-2011
My kids love these combinations:

Grated apple and a sprinkle of apple pie spice mix.

Dried strawberries and/or dried blueberries added with the dry oatmeal (they rehydrate during cooking).

Dates and peaches (fresh in season or diced canned) with a little brown sugar Splenda.

Dried cranberries, dried pineapple and some shredded coconut.

Sliced banana and a spoonful of peanut butter.
thecrazyisout 07:46 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
when you start to heat the water, toss in dried fruit (raisins, cherries, and apricots are favorites--cut the apricots into quarters). It softens as the water heats and releases natural sugars that make it unnecessary to add extra sweetener.

Raisins and cinnamon is a favorite combination
butter and brown sugar
milk and honey
maple sugar and vanilla
mmmm sounds good. We just got a food dehydrator too so I will be able to do this!!
EVA7777 06:20 PM 04-27-2011
Peanut Butter added to Oatmeal is a big hit!

Generally if the kids can add their own berries and fruit pieces they are more likely to eat it all. They feel like they have "cooked" breakfast!

Jennifer King, MSA
Elite Virtual Accountants, Inc.
Jewels 06:50 AM 05-10-2011
My biggest hit with oatmeal is also peanut butter, its the way I have always eaten it, I add peanut butter and honey. some kids gets raisans and honey. I use honey for pretty much everything in place of sugar and syrup.
lucylaplant 08:33 AM 05-10-2011
My daughter loves all types of oat meal (pronounced Oat-moat by her). I usually get the maple brown sugar and throw some, wait for it, Apple juice infused dried cranberries in the mix. Got them a whole foods, they are soo good. The only problem I have is I always have oatmeal all over mychildrens clothes right after breakfast.
Kaddidle Care 06:18 PM 05-10-2011
We've got to keep this one near the top - I've never been a big oatmeal fan but these addings sound delicious! Must try it! Thanks!
Tags:oatmeal, recipe
Reply Up