Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustarted
care-care 07:49 PM 09-19-2011
Ok I have to vent and also ask question..
I am new to daycare almost 1 yr I have one child I took on part time Three nights a week. Well second shift really leaves at 9 pm. I also do a side business in am and nights baby isnt here. I do sometimes take child for days if parent needs meeting etc. but i am able to plan for it in advanced. well it appears they have decided to switch shifts to days with out really asking me out right. one parents works second and one 12 hr days. so any ways now i am informed if the one parent gets 1st shift my schedule will change and other parent may go on 4- 9 hr days. ugh i am frustrated cuz now ill be busy away from my family more nights to do my side stuff where when child was here it was no biggie cuz we were all together. enough of my sob story.. i am thinking that for 4 days of care I need to charge way more than I have been . before i had 20 hrs of care for 105 a week. now ill go to 36-40 hours of care. im nervous to give them a rate to high but i think i charged way to less to begin with .
what do u think would be a fair rate.. i am only doing 4 days one day will be for my self for side jobs and appts

any suggestions?
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 09-20-2011
I think it depends on what the rates are in your community. It is hard to give advice about what a provider should charge when it varies so much between areas and communities. I would check around with local providers and network with them about what average current rates are.

As far as the advice about the parent changing hours on you, I would have a discussion about it with them and find out what exactly it is they are wanting to change and then you decide if you are willing to provide care for them during those hours. Just because it is what the family wants doesn't mean you have to comply...kwim? It is your business and you get to decide what does and doesn't work for you.
Nellie 07:08 AM 09-20-2011
It all depends on what the going rate is in your area. Where I live $110 to $130 is the going rate for full time in home providers. In my area it is the norm to charge by the hour, half day, or day for part time. Many don't charge when the child doesn't show up and it is unheard of to charge for your own absences or vacation. I believe you need to set a rate that you will feel good about. When I started out a family negotiated with me on the pay. I wanted another child so I did. I ended up really resenting the fact that she was getting out lof paying $15 a week.
care-care 07:25 PM 09-20-2011
Well rates around here are crazy anywheres from 25 a day to 50 a day for in home. I went to 35 a day when I made my contract.( which is a yr old in Oct so I could update) I didnt no to much about how to word things etc when I did it but I did the best I could. I have to think that for me to nearly double my hours that 35 dollars more a week is not worth it to me. do you understand? Thats y I asked if maybe I should give her a full week amount so later I dont regret it and cant change it. or rather some wheres in between . Just looking for feedback is all
Nellie 11:40 PM 09-20-2011
If I am getting what you are saying about how you charge CDK is currently at your house 3 days a week. You charge $35 a day = $105.
If DCK will now be coming 4 days a week charge $140.
I don't see why you would give them a weekly rate when you don't provide care 5 days a week. Typically providers offer a daily rate for the hours of their operation or if their hours of operation are longer they allow the family to use a block of time typically 9 to 10 hours. Right now you are benifiting because they pay for a whole day, but don't use many hours. So it seems crazy to you do double the hours for $35, but accourding to your contract that is what you charge.
If you redue your contract you need to be specific on how many hours a day comes with a day. If you allow them to exceede the days hours you could perhaps charge by the hour.
care-care 05:42 AM 09-21-2011
Well see he was here one day 5 hrs and 2 at 8 hrs now it will be 4 at 10 a day so I am gonna change the rate higher for that and when before it starts im gonna have my new contract for them.
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 09-21-2011
I would personally charge the full time rate. The general rule where I live is anything over 25 hours in the week is full time rates.

I think you should charge full time for sure. Like you said, you do not want to regret it later that you undercharged her and have to put in so many hours.

She is wanting to have you put in 40 hours (4 days at 10 hours per day) so that is definitely full time.

I would even consider charging a bit more for non-standard hours of care if that is the case. Anything outside of daytime hours here are considered non-standard hours and are a bit more expensive then the general daytime hours of 7-5
care-care 05:58 PM 09-21-2011
Thanks for replying.. I should of charged more from day one being i watched him nights but I didnt. I called a few providers in my area today and they all said full time rate. Before the schedule would change to the 4 days during day it will change to 4 days 5 hrs a day. Im so frustrated . I be honest i cut hair too and chose these people for the hours. I am not gonna get more children now as my hubby said just do this for now before u add any more in. I watch my grandson in am and cut hair and bring him to school everyday. I just feel overwhelmed and need some one to vent at lol sorry. Im thinking that when the schedule changes to the 4- 5 hr days it will be $140.00 a week Then when the day time starts it will be 175-180 a week. and im thinking he will be dropped 7 am. and im gonna tell them he needs to be picked up by 430 so I can have dinner with my family and get my daughter to cheer leading and church and then go in my salon and cut hair til i go to bed. what do u think about the rates?
Tags:parents - changing things, stress, vent
Reply Up