Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Days Off or Rate Increase?
hoopinglady 05:52 AM 11-18-2011
I'm revising my contract now after having the same one for the past nearly 3 years.

Suffice to say, I've been VERY accommodating. I rarely take days off (christmas, thanksgiving and 2 days off for giving birth) and I've always provided back up care.

I provide very good service, 12 hour days, do laundry, etc etc.

Now I don't have back up care to provide.

I'd decided instead of raising my ridiculously low rates, I'd just take some paid holidays.

Now I'm reconsidering. With people wanting the care on holidays. I think I might be better off staying open all the time, raising my rates and making some extra cash. I've done it this long...may as well get paid for it.

Is this a mistake?

I suspect they'd be unhappy about a rate increase too, particularly the newer client but I have to do something.

They have no idea how I've been scraping by these past few years. It's uncalled for.

I'm irritated as hell this morning. I need tagged out, lol
cheerfuldom 05:55 AM 11-18-2011
Raise your rates and get more holidays! but if you have to choose one or the other, raise rates.
abigailrw5 06:04 AM 11-18-2011
Personally I would never work on holidays. At least take Thanksgiving off but not the day after. I would have them pay you time and a half. I get about 6-7 paid holidays off but dont have them pay me on my two weeks vacation. But they have to pay me when they are on vacation!
hoopinglady 06:07 AM 11-18-2011
I'm not working on Thanksgiving but have request for the day after so she can shop. No problem, I'm opened, but it's always one "I need some time to myself" mom who keeps me from a day off. It's typically not because they have to work that day.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are currently my only paid days off.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
I'm not working on Thanksgiving but have request for the day after so she can shop. No problem, I'm opened, but it's always one "I need some time to myself" mom who keeps me from a day off. It's typically not because they have to work that day.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are currently my only paid days off.
She proabbly does that so often because your rates are so low.

I had a provider friend not too long ago have this same issue. I told her to increase her rates a bit, charge for holidays (only 5 days...but still) and to not worry about families being upset. She said she was so stressed that she HAD to do something.

She raised her rates a little bit.. I think from $20 a day to $22 and started charging for the 5 holiday days she has off but offered parents the option to still use the holidays IF they paid her $33 for the days so she atleast was making time and a half.

I personally am a lot more strict but she is fairly new to the field and was so concerned about alienating families that that was the most she could do. She did end up losing 2 part time families but she said the rate increase made up for them leaving and her stress was down too so I guess all in all she did benefit.

If I were you, I would make the changes for rates and holidays (take off paid or charge more) and make the biggest changes to all newly enrolled families.
greenhouse 07:18 AM 11-18-2011
It's your business- you set the rules. Scraping by isn't a good idea when you are doing the most difficult job there is-IMHO.
hoopinglady 07:24 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
It's your business- you set the rules. Scraping by isn't a good idea when you are doing the most difficult job there is-IMHO.
Amen to that.

Also, I'm trying to write the cover letter for revised contract. I'm not sure how explain-y to get.

I don't want to over explain but also don't want to be all like, "take it or leave it" if they truly would benefit from explanations.

Blackcat, I think I'm slow...what do you mean, "make the biggest changes to all newly enrolled families"?
beachgrl 08:04 AM 11-18-2011
I just recentlynwent to contracts after having a couple drop in's for my full timers and will domthe same for any drop in's I might have in the future. I don't think can raise rates as I'm having difficulty even getting full enrollment but I did decide I was doing the weekly thing and closing for certain holidays. I will be closed thanksgiving, day after, Christmas eve and day will be taken on the fri and mon surrounding that weekend.. And I think I have eleven total holidays for the year plus five sick/personal days to use. I will not charge if I take vaca time but they pay when they do. We will try that for awhile and see how it goes. I am just glad I got some regular days off and hopefully any new families I get will be as understanding of it as the one I just got
Abigail 08:26 AM 11-18-2011
Why don't you take any time off work? Do you not enjoy the holidays to spend time relaxing or with family? I'm just starting my daycare this month. I don't have any regularly scheduled kids enrolled until mid-December I'm that new still BUT....

I have 10 paid CLOSED holidays. I also have 5 paid CLOSED personal days which might include a mini-vacation with plenty of notice or it might be when I am sick and close with very little notice. I also charge the exact average to slightly above average rates. I don't want to sell myself short and get mad at those who do offer cheap rates because it's not fair to the rest of the providers who offer nice services but no families see that except the low price tag.

I'm not going to be open on any holiday...even if I don't do anything but sleep or eat and watch tv. I wouldn't offer to stay open for time and a half IF they wanted it either. WHY? IF you're offering it, then lets say only two people take you up on your offer. You still end up making less that day. I would simply keep rates the same, but add at least 6-8 standard paid holidays that you're closed. No exceptions in your contract.

If you want to offer to be open on those closed paid holidays, you may do a Holiday Special and charge $5 per hour per child and open that up to the public and you will be full and getting much more than time and a half. If it's already paid, for those currently enrolled you can offer it to them for their standard rate again and when they ask tell them it's double time. KWIM? I honestly would give it a try for one of these holidays. It wouldn't be effective until January I'd hope because it's too late for the next holidays this year.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
Amen to that.

Also, I'm trying to write the cover letter for revised contract. I'm not sure how explain-y to get.

I don't want to over explain but also don't want to be all like, "take it or leave it" if they truly would benefit from explanations.

Blackcat, I think I'm slow...what do you mean, "make the biggest changes to all newly enrolled families"?
I think you should make rate increases and holiday charges in small amounts until you feel comfortable that you won't lose anyone but set your rates EXACTLY where you really want them to be, charge for ALL holidays and vacations and anything else you want to really change in your handbook for all new families you have enrolling so that tjhey are at the rate you want from the very beginning.
hoopinglady 11:26 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Why don't you take any time off work? Do you not enjoy the holidays to spend time relaxing or with family? I'm just starting my daycare this month. I don't have any regularly scheduled kids enrolled until mid-December I'm that new still BUT....

I have 10 paid CLOSED holidays. I also have 5 paid CLOSED personal days which might include a mini-vacation with plenty of notice or it might be when I am sick and close with very little notice. I also charge the exact average to slightly above average rates. I don't want to sell myself short and get mad at those who do offer cheap rates because it's not fair to the rest of the providers who offer nice services but no families see that except the low price tag.

I'm not going to be open on any holiday...even if I don't do anything but sleep or eat and watch tv. I wouldn't offer to stay open for time and a half IF they wanted it either. WHY? IF you're offering it, then lets say only two people take you up on your offer. You still end up making less that day. I would simply keep rates the same, but add at least 6-8 standard paid holidays that you're closed. No exceptions in your contract.

If you want to offer to be open on those closed paid holidays, you may do a Holiday Special and charge $5 per hour per child and open that up to the public and you will be full and getting much more than time and a half. If it's already paid, for those currently enrolled you can offer it to them for their standard rate again and when they ask tell them it's double time. KWIM? I honestly would give it a try for one of these holidays. It wouldn't be effective until January I'd hope because it's too late for the next holidays this year.

I will just say, in my defense, I did not intend to undercut anyone when going into business. I knew my value and experience. When I opened my daycare I was six months pregnant, had just lost my waitressing job and my children's father decided he didn't want to pick up the slack until I found other employment, so he left me. I knew how to do this so I did. I had to get people in the door and they weren't wanting to pay in my area.

Not a sob story, that's just how it went down and now I'm feeling kind of stuck in my low rates. I've skated by but I started in an apartment have now moved into a house and it's just not cutting it.

Heck, I am doubtful even now, that I could get anyone to pay. As I said, my market is saturated with rates even lower than mine.

I rather like the idea of offering holidays at double time.

I know my clients can afford it it's just a matter if they value me enough to pay a little more.

Lots to think about.

Gotcha, Blackcat, I knew I was being dense, lol.
Tags:days off, rate increase, vacation
Reply Up