Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Tell A Potential Client I No Longer Want Them?
meganlavonnesmommy 04:51 PM 07-22-2011
I had a client contact me a few weeks ago looking for occasional hourly care for their almost 5 year old. I was thrilled, thinking he would be a good playmate for my 5 year old.

I have one part time child who comes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, so I told the new family I could do hourly care on Thursdays or Fridays.

I had him for 4 hours today for the first time and OMG! What a terror! I was pulling my hair out by the time he left. He had no boundaries and just did not listen. He was opening every closet, every kitchen drawer and cabinet and pulling stuff out. He kept unlocking and opening the backdoor and letting the dog out. You absolutely couldnt tell him anything. I tried to be patient with him because it was his first day, and he wasnt used to our rules. But he argued everything! If I told him not to open the door, he would argue with me "but I wanted to, but the dog wanted to go outside, but he looks hot, he needs to go outside, but I want to go outside, but at my house we can go outside whenever we want". If I told him stop screaming (because he was doing this super loud high pitched scream for fun), he'd argue that he wasnt screaming, he was whisteling, and whisteling is good for your lungs. ARRGHHH!

Dad said he wanted to bring one day a week, and could I watch him next Thursday.

I said I would check my schedule and let him know. What do I say? No way do I want him back, but how do I tell him his child was a pain in the butt?
cheerfuldom 05:02 PM 07-22-2011
I would say that after careful consideration, you don't feel that you can meet his needs and that the situation isnt a good fit. Sort of blames it on you if you want to call it that because there is no point in getting into the details about how out of control his behavior is. They will very likely just make excuses for him, blame you and keep trying to get you to take him.
sharlan 05:56 PM 07-22-2011
A simple, I'm sorry, but I won't be able to care for Johnny after all. Don't bother going into details about the kid, I'm sure that Mom already knows.

If she asks why, just say that he's not going to work into your schedule after all. You know the one, the one where you don't want to see him again.
Tags:potential client
Reply Up