Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Lunches For School Kids
kcnjason 05:30 AM 01-26-2012
My daughter is in kindergarten and I need ideas of what to send in her lunch. I try to send my kids lunch every day, but she is not a sandwich eater, I have tried tortillas and they don't cut it either I have sent soup, noodles, etc in a thermos and that comes home with her as well But I have noticed when I send a variety of things to eat she does well and it seems to fill her up more, for instance, yogurt with toppings, granola bar, baggie of cracker mixes etc. I'm in need of ideas of other small things like the above. I think that she needs more protien. Any good ideas?
dEHmom 05:34 AM 01-26-2012
cheese (even if it's cheese strings)
crackers w/ optional toppings (kubasa, cheese, lunch meat)
muffins (not cupcakes)
fruit salad w/ optional yogurt dip
fruit
jello w/ fruit (i just put the fruit on the bottom and then add a spoonful of jello)
dry cereal
Cat Herder 05:56 AM 01-26-2012
www.laptoplunches.com

You will not be dissappointed.....

Even if just for ideas, menus and recipes ....
countrymom 07:02 AM 01-26-2012
I bought those expensive warm thermos's, the best thing ever.
I will send milk in it, and then cereal in a bag so all they have to do is mix it

soup in a cup (i put hot water in it-by lunch its warm water and all they have to do is open the package, its lipton

I make nuggets in the morning and put them in the thermos

rice also in the thermos

perogies

chicken legs

waffles sandwich-plain waffles with smoked ham sliced thin from the deli

soup

pasta

hotdogs, I put some hot water in the thermos and cut the dog in half, by the time its lunch all they have to do is take it out and put it on the bun

my kids are not big into sandwiches either (I pack 4 lunches everyday)

bread and butter

bread and jam or honey (mine don't eat this, but I know others do)

nutella (mine again don't eat this but others do)
meganlavonnesmommy 09:57 AM 01-26-2012
We have a schedule:
Monday is sandwich day: PB for my son, PB and nutella or marshmallow for my daughter
Tuesday and Thursday are snacky foods
Wednesday is thermos: soup, rice, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, ramen noodles
friday is lunchables from the store for my daughter, my son eats pizza hot lunch at school

I try to make sure each day has a fruit, protein and grain. Some of our staples are :

Cottage cheese
yogurt
jello with fruit, individual cups of peaches, pears, mandarin oranges, apple slices with peanut butter
granola bars
popcorn
pretzels
breakfast cereal with a thermos of milk, they can add the cereal to the thermos of milk and make their own cereal
string cheese or cubed cheese
rice cakes, cheddar or caramel flavor
brownies (fiber one makes a great sorta healthy one)
chips
lovelife 10:42 AM 01-26-2012
Where did you get the thermos from? My son has to be one of the worlds most picky eaters. TY
Meyou 11:08 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by lovelife:
Where did you get the thermos from? My son has to be one of the worlds most picky eaters. TY
Any wide mouthed good quality thermos will do. They can eat right out of them and quality so that they won't leak. My kids are big thermos lovers too. One took leftover spare ribs and rice today and the other took oatmeal. Random....lol.
countrymom 11:13 AM 01-26-2012
make sure they are the silver ones because those are the ones that are for hot food. Your suppose to add hot water in it to heat it up and it stays warm. I think I paid about 10 dollars, maybe a bit more, I have 5 of them (one for each kid and one spare) we use them alot.
dEHmom 11:21 AM 01-26-2012
a few of my dcks have the older style thermos' that aren't the silver kind, they are just white plastic. But the soups stay hotter in those than in the newer thermos'.
lovelife 11:25 AM 01-26-2012
Thanks for the information. I am going to buy one this weekend for my son. I honestly never thought of that before. I send the same old boring lunchable (with the meat removed) because that is all he will eat.
familyschoolcare 11:44 AM 01-26-2012
get your daugter envolved in packing the lunch

My children are older now so they pack their lunch with out me. However, I still make sure it follows the "sack Lunch" rules. 1-main food (protien) atleast 1 fruit/vegtable only 1 dessert/treatfood

When my kids where in Kinder. We packed it "together" I would make snadwiches if requeasted ect. ... and guild them to remembering the "sack lunch" rules
sharlan 12:19 PM 01-26-2012
My granddaughter loves string cheese wrapped with thinly sliced luncheon meat (ham, turkey, chicken).
meganlavonnesmommy 07:42 PM 01-26-2012
We also do homemade lunchables,
sliced turkey, sliced cheese and ritz crackers,
Tags:packed lunch ideas
Reply Up