Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Little Guy Who Doesn't Know How to Play
sahm2three 07:01 AM 08-15-2012
He is 2, and honestly doesn't know how to play. He will hold a toy and sit on the floor and just watch everyone move around him. He seems to like trucks so I showed him how to make the trucks drive around and he just looked at me. I made truck sounds and had the trucks saying hi to eachother. Showed him how to climb the platform to our little indoor slide but he just sits. Tried to get him to play in the play kitchen making food and play eat the food, but he just sat and looked at me. He will sit and smile and laugh at the kids playing, but doesn't play. One thing he continually does that is driving me bonkers is, he will pick the chairs up and put them over his head. I have caught him and told him no numerous times, but I wonder if he planned to toss them? I talked to his old daycare/teacher, and she said he was the same there. He had been there since he was a baby. Only thing she could get him to do without assistance is color. So just keep doing what I am doing? Or do you think it is time to have a talk with mom? Maybe some kind of delay?
Heidi 07:55 AM 08-15-2012
Young two or older two?

If young two, give him some time to adjust. Keep modeling play for short periods periodically, and encourage a slightly older child to "mentor" him. Is there an older boy (like late 3, early 4), that could do that?
sahm2three 11:34 AM 08-15-2012
He is a young 2. I just have never experienced a kid who does NO playing. During circle time, he just stands there or sits there, depending on what we are doing. When we shake our sillies out, he stands and crosses his arms. I am just going to let him participate, or not, and hope that it changes soon. I do worry it won't because like I said, he just sat at his old daycare too.
jojosmommy 12:05 PM 08-15-2012
How long has he been there?

I have one who is 2 yrs 3 mo who doesn't play most of the time. Wanders, circles, stares. DD is definately a concern in this case so it might be something you too want to watch for.

I would give him time to adjust to the routine though. Maybe he is uncertain of the expectations so he doesn't do anything.
Reply Up