Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Report?
Delana 02:08 PM 05-23-2016
I was hired as a preschool teacher at the center where I used to bring my son for drop in care. I thought it was a great center but admit that I had really only ever brought my son to the front to drop him off except for the original tour I had when I first signed him up. My first day was my last. I noticed a few things without the first couple hours of working- workers who were a little more physical with kids then I would like ie. pulling kids by their arms, worker using legs to push kids back etc. I know that some physical interaction is necessary but the situation was so chaotic and there were so many kids, I felt like the workers were just overwhelmed and therefore overly aggressive. I was in the 2 year old room and I had a little boy that kept hitting, tackling and pushing the other kids. At one point my co-teacher took the little boy out for a while but then he was back. A few minutes later he hit another little boy on the head with a wooden block- hard. I went to the center manager who then told me I needed to "develop a relationship" with the child and to take him back to the classroom. I was a little exasperated by this response but thought maybe he was just acting out because I was new. However, the worst was yet to come. The owner of the center was out at their off-site office for the day and her 5 year old was at the center. I kept hearing screaming and yelling outside my classroom and eventually my co-teacher left returning a few minutes later with the owner's son. She was holding his arms down as he screamed and fought her. I was in the middle of taking kids in groups to go potty so I didn't see much of what was happening. When I returned my co-teacher asked me if I could take the owner's son and she would change the non-potty trained kids. I said ok and she warned me he may hit me. Immediately after she left he grabbed my hair, pulling out a chunk. He then fought me with every ounce of strength he had, pinching, hitting and scratching me so hard he drew blood leaving marks on my face and arms. At this point I tried to stand and hold him still and he punched a 2 year old boy in the head and kicked another little girl in the stomach. I went to hallway to get some help and another teacher took him. At this point the kids in my class are all crying and I was too. I tried to calm down but I was literally shaking. I could still hear the owner's son on a rampage, destroying the empty classroom next to mine. When my co-teacher returned she sent me on my lunch break. I messaged the owner (her preferred method of contact is by text). I told her what had happened and that I was concerned about working somewhere that I wasn't sure I could comfortably leave my own child anymore. She told me not to come back after my break then and "thank you for your efforts". I am completely baffled by her response and concerned about the safety of the other kids at the center. It is quite a high volume center with drop in care, after school programs and a full time preschool. It was sheer chaos to say the least and it seemed like the teachers were completely overwhelmed and at a loss as to what to do. I'm not sure if this warrants reporting or not. I know that left me very shaken and I'm an adult. I have no idea how the children feel. Any suggestions from seasoned workers would be much appreciated!
Blackcat31 02:17 PM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by Delana:
I was hired as a preschool teacher at the center where I used to bring my son for drop in care. I thought it was a great center but admit that I had really only ever brought my son to the front to drop him off except for the original tour I had when I first signed him up. My first day was my last. I noticed a few things without the first couple hours of working- workers who were a little more physical with kids then I would like ie. pulling kids by their arms, worker using legs to push kids back etc. I know that some physical interaction is necessary but the situation was so chaotic and there were so many kids, I felt like the workers were just overwhelmed and therefore overly aggressive. I was in the 2 year old room and I had a little boy that kept hitting, tackling and pushing the other kids. At one point my co-teacher took the little boy out for a while but then he was back. A few minutes later he hit another little boy on the head with a wooden block- hard. I went to the center manager who then told me I needed to "develop a relationship" with the child and to take him back to the classroom. I was a little exasperated by this response but thought maybe he was just acting out because I was new. However, the worst was yet to come. The owner of the center was out at their off-site office for the day and her 5 year old was at the center. I kept hearing screaming and yelling outside my classroom and eventually my co-teacher left returning a few minutes later with the owner's son. She was holding his arms down as he screamed and fought her. I was in the middle of taking kids in groups to go potty so I didn't see much of what was happening. When I returned my co-teacher asked me if I could take the owner's son and she would change the non-potty trained kids. I said ok and she warned me he may hit me. Immediately after she left he grabbed my hair, pulling out a chunk. He then fought me with every ounce of strength he had, pinching, hitting and scratching me so hard he drew blood leaving marks on my face and arms. At this point I tried to stand and hold him still and he punched a 2 year old boy in the head and kicked another little girl in the stomach. I went to hallway to get some help and another teacher took him. At this point the kids in my class are all crying and I was too. I tried to calm down but I was literally shaking. I could still hear the owner's son on a rampage, destroying the empty classroom next to mine. When my co-teacher returned she sent me on my lunch break. I messaged the owner (her preferred method of contact is by text). I told her what had happened and that I was concerned about working somewhere that I wasn't sure I could comfortably leave my own child anymore. She told me not to come back after my break then and "thank you for your efforts". I am completely baffled by her response and concerned about the safety of the other kids at the center. It is quite a high volume center with drop in care, after school programs and a full time preschool. It was sheer chaos to say the least and it seemed like the teachers were completely overwhelmed and at a loss as to what to do. I'm not sure if this warrants reporting or not. I know that left me very shaken and I'm an adult. I have no idea how the children feel. Any suggestions from seasoned workers would be much appreciated!
ABSOLUTELY report this to the licensing agency in your state!

5 yrs old or not, that was assault.

I am sorry this happened to you
Thriftylady 02:42 PM 05-23-2016
I agree you need to report. The staff is being physical with the kids, and I don't know of any state where that is allowed. And the children are hurting each other, and it is uncontrolled. IMHO abuse is abuse, regardless the age of the abuser. Add to that, in a chaotic situation, kids will act out.
Mike 04:22 PM 05-23-2016
Report it. They either need to get their act together or close.
Tags:reporting, reporting - daycare, reporting - suspected abuse
Reply Up