Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cheating
Thriftylady 12:34 PM 12-22-2015
How do you all deal with cheating at games? My two DCG's are siblings and they are horrible at it. One is Kindy, the other first grade. Sometimes I would like to think I could give them a game that is for their age and let them play while I sit near and say prep for the next activity. But every play seems to end up in me needing to intervene to stop cheating. So I always end up taking the game and putting it away after several warnings. Surely I am not the only one with this issue, so any other creative ways to solve this? I want games to be fun, not a fight!
Unregistered 12:53 PM 12-22-2015
Let them make their own rules! No real rules, no problems. What is the point of the game playing? Is it to learn to follow rules? Is it to play around and socialize and have fun? I guess it depends on what your purpose is. I consider K and first to be old enough to follow simple, real rules, but what's the point if it just causes you issues. Maybe let them take some pieces from one game and some from another and invent a game together!
Thriftylady 12:56 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Let them make their own rules! No real rules, no problems. What is the point of the game playing? Is it to learn to follow rules? Is it to play around and socialize and have fun? I guess it depends on what your purpose is. I consider K and first to be old enough to follow simple, real rules, but what's the point if it just causes you issues. Maybe let them take some pieces from one game and some from another and invent a game together!
I may agree with you, if they didn't always end up in a fight!
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
How do you all deal with cheating at games? My two DCG's are siblings and they are horrible at it. One is Kindy, the other first grade. Sometimes I would like to think I could give them a game that is for their age and let them play while I sit near and say prep for the next activity. But every play seems to end up in me needing to intervene to stop cheating. So I always end up taking the game and putting it away after several warnings. Surely I am not the only one with this issue, so any other creative ways to solve this? I want games to be fun, not a fight!
Is it always one child that cheats or do they take turns skirting the rules?
Thriftylady 01:44 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is it always one child that cheats or do they take turns skirting the rules?
Mostly one. The other will once in a great while, but the younger sibling does it constantly.
Blackcat31 02:00 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Mostly one. The other will once in a great while, but the younger sibling does it constantly.
As soon as someone cheats, end the game.

Reward the non-cheater verbally or with whatever motivates her/him.

Stress the importance of playing to have fun by initializing a game and putting it away right in the middle of it so that no one wins or loses....stress that everyone had fun playing and that having fun while playing is the point not playing to win.

I always taught my own kiddos that cheaters never win and winners never cheat.
spedmommy4 08:52 PM 12-22-2015

Stress the importance of playing to have fun by initializing a game and putting it away right in the middle of it so that no one wins or loses....stress that everyone had fun playing and that having fun while playing is the point not playing to win.

This, and I really like a newer series of board games by Peaceable Kingdom. They are cooperative board games so you HAVE to work/strategize together to win the game. I absolutely love these games.
jenboo 10:02 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
This, and I really like a newer series of board games by Peaceable Kingdom. They are cooperative board games so you HAVE to work/strategize together to win the game. I absolutely love these games.
Agreed! They are great!!
Unless you are competitive... Cooperative games
childcaremom 04:26 AM 12-23-2015
I would step in if fighting is getting out of control but I would use it as an opportunity for them to problem solve.

"Can you resolve this or do I need to put the game away?" If they need some ideas for resolution I will assist but at that age I will not direct or referee.

If fighting continues, game goes away and take it outside.

Or each get a deck of cards and are introduced to Solitaire and the Clock game.
Thriftylady 06:53 AM 12-23-2015
Thanks for the ideas. I have never heard of the cooperative games, I will have to google them.
MsLisa 07:21 AM 12-23-2015

Same here!

I tell the one not cheating that they should go find something else to play with since ____ isn't playing fair. No one likes playing alone and once someone is branded a "cheater", the other kids won't play with them thus most quickly change their tune. Now, if both parties are guilty, then I just take it away.
Reply Up