Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another MI Licensing Question- Diaper Changing
Unregistered 06:13 AM 05-02-2014
The rule states a designated area away from food and accessibly to a sink.
It doesn't specifically state it cannot be the floor (day care home) but I have seen others post they must have a changing table?? I diapered all 3 of my own on the floor on a mat (seems safer to me, and easier to just grab a pad and change on the floor).

I have one big open room, I planned on changing diapers in the corner, on the carpet with a pad. There is a bathroom off my kitchen with a sink. Is that not adequate?
morgan24 06:32 AM 05-02-2014
If you look up the technical manual it has a detail description of what you can use. I use my bathroom floor, put down a mat that can be sanitized when I'm done.
midaycare 07:32 AM 05-02-2014
I have a changing table, but it is so much easier and safer to use the floor. Depends on the age, too. Infants - changing table. Older, squirmier ... floor.
Unregistered 10:33 AM 05-02-2014
Are you required to have a changing table though? I hate changing tables. They feel so awkward.
melilley 11:22 AM 05-02-2014
You don't have to have a changing table. You can use a pad on the floor, but the pad has to be on something that can be sanitized like tile, plastic shower curtain etc...

I have a changing table and it's in my ds's room. The bathroom with the sink is down the hallway. My licensor didn't say anythigg about the sink being so far away. And I also told her that I was probably just going to bring the mat in the bathroom (it's tiled) and she said that would be fine.
melilley 11:29 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by morgan24:
If you look up the technical manual it has a detail description of what you can use. I use my bathroom floor, put down a mat that can be sanitized when I'm done.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...20140502142245

Here is the link, it's page 115
Unregistered 12:20 PM 05-02-2014
I have read and re-read the rules, but saw a thread from a Michigander who said they HAD to have a changing table that's why I was clarifying.
Unregistered 12:22 PM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
You don't have to have a changing table. You can use a pad on the floor, but the pad has to be on something that can be sanitized like tile, plastic shower curtain etc...

I have a changing table and it's in my ds's room. The bathroom with the sink is down the hallway. My licensor didn't say anythigg about the sink being so far away. And I also told her that I was probably just going to bring the mat in the bathroom (it's tiled) and she said that would be fine.
Perfect, that was the answer I was looking for!
If I have a plastic changing pad the floor it should be fine then yes? I am going to keep a covered basket with supplies on a floor in the corner of my main level, near(ish) the bathroom, on the corner area of one of my play rooms.
Unregistered 07:24 PM 05-02-2014
The mat on the floor is fine. I am from MI and they specifically said at orientation that it is fine to use a waterproof mat on the floor, you are supposed to sanitize the mat and the floor underneath after though. And the floor surface underneath is supposed to be something other than carpet.
rebekki78 07:36 PM 05-04-2014
I tried the changing table but I just didn't like it. I like the floor much better! Once the children are around 4 months they are SO difficult to change on a changing table. Ugh.
Reply Up