Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sending Children Home For Disturbing 'Class'
Unregistered 10:49 AM 04-01-2014
I have been doing licensed daycare for over 15 years and have never done this before, but today I sent a child home for screaming/crying for too long this morning. He is usually well behaved. But today, he did one thing after another starting with taking other kids' food at breakfast, then taking toys from others, yelling at other kids, etc. Every time I told him not to do what he was doing, he would yell/scream/cry forcefully at me. I would remove him from where he was and tried to get him involved in another activity, but he would do something wrong no matter what I tried. After a couple of times of him repeating the same inappropriate behavior and me telling him not to do so and what he should do instead, I told him to sit down in time out. He would sit down, but kept on yelling/screaming/crying forcefully. I live in a townhouse, and my neighbor actually came over to see what was going on! After that, I sent the child home. One the phone, the parents told me that the child had a bad morning this morning. I didn't ask them to go into detail, so I don't know what happened this morning before he came to daycare.

In a daycare center, they would have probably sent this child into the office or another classroom. I don't have that option here at a home daycare. So I felt that my only option was to send him home.

My question to you all is would you have sent the child home for this behavior? How long would you allow a child to behave this way before you sent them home?
Annalee 11:16 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have been doing licensed daycare for over 15 years and have never done this before, but today I sent a child home for screaming/crying for too long this morning. He is usually well behaved. But today, he did one thing after another starting with taking other kids' food at breakfast, then taking toys from others, yelling at other kids, etc. Every time I told him not to do what he was doing, he would yell/scream/cry forcefully at me. I would remove him from where he was and tried to get him involved in another activity, but he would do something wrong no matter what I tried. After a couple of times of him repeating the same inappropriate behavior and me telling him not to do so and what he should do instead, I told him to sit down in time out. He would sit down, but kept on yelling/screaming/crying forcefully. I live in a townhouse, and my neighbor actually came over to see what was going on! After that, I sent the child home. One the phone, the parents told me that the child had a bad morning this morning. I didn't ask them to go into detail, so I don't know what happened this morning before he came to daycare.

In a daycare center, they would have probably sent this child into the office or another classroom. I don't have that option here at a home daycare. So I felt that my only option was to send him home.

My question to you all is would you have sent the child home for this behavior? How long would you allow a child to behave this way before you sent them home?
A few years ago,I had a 3 yr old girl that would throw tantrums, running around beating on the walls during nap...Her parents were going through a divorce at the time so I tried to just deal with it. However, the tantrums with screaming became more intense only at nap....so I think it was a power struggle for her. Anyway, after about a week of this I started calling the mom and she ended up taking her out of my program. She then placed her in a home dc up the road where they would put her in the high chair, yes the high chair, nearly all day to keep her from hurting herself or someone else...She is in school now, not sure how that is going???????
earlystart 11:57 AM 04-01-2014
I think you absolutely did the right thing, considering you live in a townhome and especially because someone literally came over to see if everything was ok! Since I live in a single family home, I probably would have let it go on longer, but there is one child that had a history of having insane tantrums and his parents told me they will pick him up if it gets too bad, and I did send him home early once.
daycare 01:05 PM 04-01-2014
we all have our limits. If I cannot control the behavior of a child after 45 minutes, I send them home.

You have to do what is right for you and for the rest of the kids. Perhaps the parent will understand that they need to participate in helping you with their child at home before drop off time so that this does not occur again.

UGH, I hope that your day gets better...
kendallina 07:04 PM 04-01-2014
For a child that normally has good behavior, it seems odd that his behavior is all of a sudden so bad. I definitely would have called mom or dad as well, perhaps just to check in and ask them if there is anything going on or if something was wrong. And I may have sent the child home if it was just so unbearable without explanation.

This just seems like unusual behavior and maybe there is a reason for it. I would have also tried to sit down and hang out and talk with the child to see why he was so upset (if he was at least 3 yrs old or so...). Perhaps you did have this talk with the child. I don't think you were in the wrong at all to send child home, I've sent children home for behavior as well. It just seems like there must be something going on for it to be all of a sudden...you know?
Unregistered 04:36 AM 04-02-2014
He gets here at 5:50 in the morning and is always tired. Plus a couple of my kids have had head colds this past week. So I figured he was either tired or getting sick. So after a while, I laid him down and was hoping he would fall asleep. He just kept screaming/crying and that's when the neighbor came over.

He can't explain himself well at all. I did try to find out from him why he was so upset, but he is unable to communicate well.
Unregistered 04:37 AM 04-02-2014
Thank you all for your responses.

His mom picked him up yesterday. She was highly upset with him for behaving so badly. When she brought him in this morning, she had him apologize to me and I haven't had any trouble from him so far.
taylorw1210 05:13 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you all for your responses.

His mom picked him up yesterday. She was highly upset with him for behaving so badly. When she brought him in this morning, she had him apologize to me and I haven't had any trouble from him so far.
I'm glad to hear the mom was proactive about the issue!
Tags:tantrums
Reply Up