Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Book Recommendation
Scout 03:29 AM 12-12-2012
Can someone recommend either a funny book or a good love story? I am in the need to read a good book. It has been a while.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Scout:
Can someone recommend either a funny book or a good love story? I am in the need to read a good book. It has been a while.
I read "One Day" by Dave Nicholls. It was a fantastic love story and a really good book but one word of warning.....totally skip the movie. It was horrid and a huge disappointment.

Usually I will read a book and if a movie comes out I will pass on seeing it as nothing ever compares to the book version but against my better instincts I watched the movie version of this book and was completely sorry.

Otherwise, I read alot of Janet Evanovich's books and they are laugh out loud funny so those are definitely ones I would recommend reading.
Scout 06:37 PM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I read "One Day" by Dave Nicholls. It was a fantastic love story and a really good book but one word of warning.....totally skip the movie. It was horrid and a huge disappointment.

Usually I will read a book and if a movie comes out I will pass on seeing it as nothing ever compares to the book version but against my better instincts I watched the movie version of this book and was completely sorry.

Otherwise, I read alot of Janet Evanovich's books and they are laugh out loud funny so those are definitely ones I would recommend reading.
Thanks! I will look for this at our weekly trip to the library with ds. I would've never guessed her books were funny. Good to know!

If you haven't read James Patterson's "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas", please do. Out of all his books, I liked this one the best & it is the only one that is not a mystery! I too like to skip the movies...I will watch Something Borrowed though as I read it a while ago & don't think they can screw it up.
Blackcat31 07:04 PM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Scout:
I too like to skip the movies...I will watch Something Borrowed though as I read it a while ago & don't think they can screw it up.
Don't be so sure.....it was cute but I thought it didnt do the story justice. If you really loved the book, skip the movie. It's better that way.

My mom is a huge James Patterson fan. She has all his books so I'll have to see if she'll lend it to me.

Do you get regular books or do you have an e-reader?
CozyHome 07:30 PM 12-12-2012
My favourite authors for comedy are:
Janet Evanovich & Sophie Kinsella

My favourite authors for murder mysteries are:
John Patterson
John Sandford
Tami Hoag
Patricia Cornwell
Greg Iles
(my list here is very long)

My favourite author for historic/part fiction is:
Bernard Cornwell
Scout 03:31 AM 12-13-2012
Don't be so sure.....it was cute but I thought it didnt do the story justice. If you really loved the book, skip the movie. It's better that way.

My mom is a huge James Patterson fan. She has all his books so I'll have to see if she'll lend it to me.

both. I got the cheapest Kindle last year for xmas. I am just figuring out how to download books onto it. It says my kindle isn't registered when I tried a month or so ago, which it is. I will need help from a librarian! I always go to book sales at the library so I have a whole cabinet of books in the basement. I used to belong to a book club too but, a lot of those hard covered I donated three years ago to a cancer center while my mom was getting treatment. I especially love to sit outside in the summer & read. Having kids has kind of squashed that though. Haven't done much of that in the past 4 years. I need to fence the yard in this year.
Scout 03:32 AM 12-13-2012
Originally Posted by CozyHome:
My favourite authors for comedy are:
Janet Evanovich & Sophie Kinsella

My favourite authors for murder mysteries are:
John Patterson
John Sandford
Tami Hoag
Patricia Cornwell
Greg Iles
(my list here is very long)

My favourite author for historic/part fiction is:
Bernard Cornwell
thanks!
Scout 03:35 AM 12-13-2012

Thanks for the warning on the movie...loved that book & now I always look for her to see if there is a new book out. I will never see "My Sister's Keeper" as that is one of my favorite books ever. Her stories are amazing.
CozyHome 02:06 AM 12-15-2012
I never watch movies, can't stay focused that long I guess. But I would also recommend the book 'The Help'. Loved it, it was wonderful but again I didn't see the movie. My Mom said the movie was great.
Scout 06:38 PM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by CozyHome:
I never watch movies, can't stay focused that long I guess. But I would also recommend the book 'The Help'. Loved it, it was wonderful but again I didn't see the movie. My Mom said the movie was great.
I loved " the Help"! Tried to watch the movie but couldn't. I had built such an image in my mind of the homes, people, etc. It wasnt living up to my image. I stopped it after 30 min!
CozyHome 09:52 PM 12-28-2012
I forgot another favourite author of historical fiction: Diana Gabaldon with the Outlander Series.
AfterSchoolMom 02:33 AM 12-29-2012
"Watermelon", by Marian Keyes is funny and has some romantic elements. It's one of my favorite books.
Scout 03:14 PM 12-30-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
"Watermelon", by Marian Keyes is funny and has some romantic elements. It's one of my favorite books.
this is one of my favorite books!! love her!
Sunchimes 07:30 AM 01-04-2013
I love Lisa Wingate. She calls herself a Christian writer, but it isn't heavy handed. In most of them, it's no more than someone saying "I'll say a prayer for her." I would call her a modest writer more than a Christian writer. There is romance but sex is more implied.

She does series books, but except for the Tending Roses series (possibly my favorite books ever!), they can stand alone. Same people show up in both, but you don't necessarily have to read them in order.

If you like light-hearted romances with a dose of good friends, I recommend the Hill County Texas series.

Texas Cooking
Lone Star Cafe
Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner

Her Promise Texas series of 3 books are so funny.
Talk Of the Town
Word Gets Around
Never Say Never

You can read the first chapter of her books here: http://lisawingate.com/Bookshelf.htm

She recently had one or two of her books as a free Kindle download. Might check.
NeedaVaca 10:20 AM 01-10-2013
I love to read, my list of favorite authors would go on and on but here is one, she has quite a few books out and I've loved them all! Adriana Trigiani
Rachel 10:51 AM 01-14-2013
I've been enjoying Emily Giffin lately. I read Something Borrowed, Something Blue (read in that order). Also Baby Proof and Heart of the Matter.
Scout 03:58 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I've been enjoying Emily Giffin lately. I read Something Borrowed, Something Blue (read in that order). Also Baby Proof and Heart of the Matter.
I always look to see if she has new books too!
evelynanacion 02:10 AM 03-07-2013
Read A Walk to Remember and The Notebook by Nicholas Spark, they are simply awesome and will make you want to cry more and more... The movies based on them are also good but the books have no match. A must read.
My3cents 12:05 PM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post

I am reading this now, as suggested by you ladies....so far good~
Thank you-
AfterSchoolMom 01:07 PM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post

I am reading this now, as suggested by you ladies....so far good~
Thank you-

Marian Keyes is great. That one is my fave, but I'd recommend any and all of her books.
evelynanacion 05:02 AM 03-09-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Marian Keyes is great. That one is my fave, but I'd recommend any and all of her books.
+1 for it. I am a huge fan of Marian Keyes too. Such quality work by her.
just_peachy 09:44 AM 03-23-2013
Pat Conroy's "Beach Music" is one of the first books I ever read that had me laughing until I cried.

It's a very real book though. Very relateable. (hmm, relatable isn't a real word? I never knew!) I read it when I was in college. I should read it again, I bet I'd be able to relate even better now. Love Pat Conroy.
boysx5 04:33 PM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I love Lisa Wingate. She calls herself a Christian writer, but it isn't heavy handed. In most of them, it's no more than someone saying "I'll say a prayer for her." I would call her a modest writer more than a Christian writer. There is romance but sex is more implied.

She does series books, but except for the Tending Roses series (possibly my favorite books ever!), they can stand alone. Same people show up in both, but you don't necessarily have to read them in order.

If you like light-hearted romances with a dose of good friends, I recommend the Hill County Texas series.

Texas Cooking
Lone Star Cafe
Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner

Her Promise Texas series of 3 books are so funny.
Talk Of the Town
Word Gets Around
Never Say Never

You can read the first chapter of her books here: http://lisawingate.com/Bookshelf.htm

She recently had one or two of her books as a free Kindle download. Might check.
Love love her books I read Tending Roses once a year
Tags:book suggestions
Reply Up