Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Good News and Bad News
cheerfuldom 10:49 AM 01-13-2014
the good news is that two of my daycare kids have finally taken a turn for the better. One of my toddlers was a screamer and came back from Christmas break like a whole new kid! I think those weeks off (parents are teachers) forced mom and dad to do a little homework they had been putting off My other toddler was not playing with anything, ever. Would just wander around and never engage in any activities. came back a whole new kid! playing and happy as can be.

now I am transitioning in a new toddler that has been crying a lot and scratching the other kids, hard! she waits till I am distracted and then goes for someone I am just really tired of working on these things with kids. yes I know that is part of the job but I finally got the rest of my group in good shape and I dont know if the extra money is worth it to keep one more child. I am hoping for some progress by the end of the week.
MCC 10:58 AM 01-13-2014
That's great that the two toddlers are happy campers now! I'm sure the new one will adjust well and fit in soon. It's good that the other two shaped up before the scratcher started, can you imagine all 3 acting up?
daycarediva 11:17 AM 01-13-2014
I'm tired of it, too. I also work with older kids, I have never had this tough of a group and I don't think it's normal at all! (I have 6 3yos, 1 2yo, 1 4yo) only 6 at a time, though. My 3yo's are NOT easy, either. None have sibs, so there is no sharing of anything, toys or adults at home so Mondays are always a rough transition back. My 2yo has three adults that cater to her every whim at home and literally carry her everywhere and do everything for her. She is never allowed to whimper, and Mondays she is always my shadow because she is not the happiest kid at being put on the floor with toys and not allowed to push everyone.

My 4yo is a dream though. Just love her, and that's usually a not so great age for 4yo girls.
Heidi 01:05 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
the good news is that two of my daycare kids have finally taken a turn for the better. One of my toddlers was a screamer and came back from Christmas break like a whole new kid! I think those weeks off (parents are teachers) forced mom and dad to do a little homework they had been putting off My other toddler was not playing with anything, ever. Would just wander around and never engage in any activities. came back a whole new kid! playing and happy as can be.

now I am transitioning in a new toddler that has been crying a lot and scratching the other kids, hard! she waits till I am distracted and then goes for someone I am just really tired of working on these things with kids. yes I know that is part of the job but I finally got the rest of my group in good shape and I dont know if the extra money is worth it to keep one more child. I am hoping for some progress by the end of the week.
Maybe a pair of long socks up the her elbows, under her shirt sleeves, will curb the scratching. Yes, it'll limit her play a little, but it's just supposed to be long enough for her to find another hobby. Of course, she might decide biting works, too, then. So, it's a crap-shoot if you want to try it.
cheerfuldom 03:04 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Maybe a pair of long socks up the her elbows, under her shirt sleeves, will curb the scratching. Yes, it'll limit her play a little, but it's just supposed to be long enough for her to find another hobby. Of course, she might decide biting works, too, then. So, it's a crap-shoot if you want to try it.
I have never had a kid scratching like this before. its almost like she starts out with grabbing, then pinching/twisting and then finishes it off with a big hard scratch. I have her right now sitting next to me and she is reaching over to scratch on furniture....weird. the worst part is that she is honestly really really cute and you would never suspect her, ha ha. darling petite girl that is sneaky....and definitely smart!
Reply Up