Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Written Discipline Plan
morgan24 09:05 AM 12-14-2011
I want to add a written discipline plan to hang on my wall for school age kids. I have one for 5 and under, but haven't had school age kids in 10 years so I don't have a discipline plan for that age group. All I have had to do with the other 3 that I have is say something to them and they stop what they are doing. Now that I have added 10 year old dcb and he has a hard time controlling himself I need to have some type of discipline. I want to write it up and give dcm a copy so she will know what is going to happen when he breaks the rules. All I have done so far is make him sit in a chair away from the rest of the kids.

A few of the things I need to address are having to tell him the same things over and over. Like running, abusing the toys, just moving from group to group and disrupting their play. He also interrupts everyone or he will be on the other side of the room and I'm having a conversation with the other dcks and he will start shout out what he thinks about things. Any ideas will be helpful.
Abigail 12:44 PM 12-16-2011
Can you call his school to see if they have rules to follow? Maybe you could use that and make it meet your needs. You may need to meet with mom and asks if they have rules at home and what happens so you both agree on what happens at daycare affects you at home, etc.
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I want to add a written discipline plan to hang on my wall for school age kids. I have one for 5 and under, but haven't had school age kids in 10 years so I don't have a discipline plan for that age group. All I have had to do with the other 3 that I have is say something to them and they stop what they are doing. Now that I have added 10 year old dcb and he has a hard time controlling himself I need to have some type of discipline. I want to write it up and give dcm a copy so she will know what is going to happen when he breaks the rules. All I have done so far is make him sit in a chair away from the rest of the kids.

A few of the things I need to address are having to tell him the same things over and over. Like running, abusing the toys, just moving from group to group and disrupting their play. He also interrupts everyone or he will be on the other side of the room and I'm having a conversation with the other dcks and he will start shout out what he thinks about things. Any ideas will be helpful.
The only advice I have is to have him be the one to write the plan with you. Ask him what he feels are good rules to have and what he feel should be appropriate consequences for breaking the rules. This is one of the best ways to make sure a child his age understands the rules. Giving him a bit of ownership to process also helps with self-regulation skills.

For interrupting, maybe have a cue word that reminds him he is breaking a rule and that way he won't be embarrassed about being called out for misbehaving.
daycare 01:21 PM 12-16-2011
when I used to coach sports and I would have an older kid on my team, I often used them to be my helper. Of course this can sour too, so there are rules with being a helper. But once I did this, I saw how fast the child wanted to behave. He wanted to be a leader and to him there was nothing worse than having him get stripped of his leadership stripes. When I did this, he wold break down and cry, he did anything to earn it back. And when he showed me he could be responsible enough again to be a good leader, I gave it back.

I also agree with Blackcat. Have the child help you make the rules. Of course, you may want to guide the child a little bit when doing it.

As him....how do you think we should behave when we are inside the house?

what do you think is a good thing we can do that will keep us all safe?

What about when it gets really loud in the house? How can we deal with that so that everyone can talk and be heard?

*** When I was going over this one, I would take all of the kids indoors and ask them to play, then I grabbed 3 kids and said ok on my cue scream as loud as you can...None of the other kids knew what was going on and instantly hands went over ears.... I blew my whistle and everyone stopped dead in their tracks.;.. I then said can you show me by a raise of hands who liked what just happened, of course no one liked it.

Let them explain what happened and do so. Then I said Can you guys please help me come up with some kind of idea (dont say rule) that we could put in place that will stop that from ever happening ever again...OMG they all wanted to give great advice. BTW they were all 8,9, and 10.

Older kids are way harder than younger ones so kudos to you for stepping up to that....You crazy woman....lol
familyschoolcare 01:30 PM 12-16-2011
With school aged childern (esp older ones above 2nd grade) the rules need to be vage and all encompussing. Other wise you will have them find the loop hole.
Michael 03:34 PM 12-16-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...iscipline+plan
morgan24 04:47 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The only advice I have is to have him be the one to write the plan with you. Ask him what he feels are good rules to have and what he feel should be appropriate consequences for breaking the rules. This is one of the best ways to make sure a child his age understands the rules. Giving him a bit of ownership to process also helps with self-regulation skills.

For interrupting, maybe have a cue word that reminds him he is breaking a rule and that way he won't be embarrassed about being called out for misbehaving.
Thanks, I think this would work. I'm going to try it. I like the idea of a cue word because I don't want to embarrass him and that could just be between him and me.
Tags:discipline plan
Reply Up