Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training DD
Brooksie 04:24 PM 09-19-2013
So dd is doing excellent with potty training. 2 nights a week she goes to her dads and comes home Wednesday morning. She always takes a step back when readjusting but she didn't use the potty at all until around 6:00 tonight. I actually took her pull up off and let her run errands in her underwear and she told me when she had to go (at target) and then again while she was eating dinner. I'm wondering if anyone ever just switches to underwear... I feel like she uses the pull up because its there. If she's wearing underwear she always tells me when she has to go, but not always in a pull up. I don't want to do any thing she isn't ready for and I don't want to pressure her. I just feel like she does better in underwear... Thoughts?
blandino 04:39 PM 09-19-2013
Yes ! Just switching to underwear is how we do it. It works like a charm.

I ask parents to do it over a weekend, and typically by the end of the weekend - their kids are well on their way. We do training pants with covers over the next two weeks. And that usually seals the deal.

I would highly advise ditching the pull-up, and I bet she will do fine. I had a DCG who was using the potty about 90%of the time. I asked her mom if we could switch to underwear and that was the end of accidents. I think her accidents were more of matter of it being an inconvenient time for her to stop and use the potty, so she would use the pull-up. With it gone, she had no choice.
Cradle2crayons 05:00 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
So dd is doing excellent with potty training. 2 nights a week she goes to her dads and comes home Wednesday morning. She always takes a step back when readjusting but she didn't use the potty at all until around 6:00 tonight. I actually took her pull up off and let her run errands in her underwear and she told me when she had to go (at target) and then again while she was eating dinner. I'm wondering if anyone ever just switches to underwear... I feel like she uses the pull up because its there. If she's wearing underwear she always tells me when she has to go, but not always in a pull up. I don't want to do any thing she isn't ready for and I don't want to pressure her. I just feel like she does better in underwear... Thoughts?
In her case, yes I'd switch to underwear. It sounds like she knows when she has to go. And it's very common for children to do fine in undies and if you out a pull up on, they backslide. So yes, jump into it!
Maria2013 05:22 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Yes ! Just switching to underwear is how we do it. It works like a charm.

I ask parents to do it over a weekend, and typically by the end of the weekend - their kids are well on their way. We do training pants with covers over the next two weeks. And that usually seals the deal.

I would highly advise ditching the pull-up, and I bet she will do fine. I had a DCG who was using the potty about 90%of the time. I asked her mom if we could switch to underwear and that was the end of accidents. I think her accidents were more of matter of it being an inconvenient time for her to stop and use the potty, so she would use the pull-up. With it gone, she had no choice.

I had similar experiences with hit and miss until I told mom to use underwear over the weekend
TheGoodLife 08:43 PM 09-19-2013
Woo hoo, that is awesome for her (and you)
I say underwear only- my DD2 (2 1/2) today started going as well (woke me up early this morning to tell me she had to go--- and she DID!) She is the type to have accidents in her undies as well, so I've been doing pull-ups just b/c she is stubborn- but she was dry all but once today and I want to do underwear this weekend when it's less crazy with DCKs.
Good luck, I hope she can keep it up and make it an easy process!
LaLa1923 03:32 AM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I potty trained all three of my kiddos with underwear only! I did use plastic pants for my youngest ds for a short time. (he's stubborn)

Cold turkey has worked very well for all of us.

Good luck!
Tags:potty training
Reply Up