Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Almost 7 Month Old dcb Development
sahm2three 10:24 AM 07-22-2010
It has been a while since my kids were that young. I am a bit concerned about my 7 mo dcb's development. He is large. Very large. Wearing a size 18 to 24 month clothing! Anyway, he just started rolling over last month, he is not holding his own bottle, no where close to sitting. Doesn't really grab things that are in front of him. And he wants to be held ALL THE TIME. I feel terrible, but I do have to let him cry quite a bit. For instance, when it is time to make lunch, he is super fussy. I always make sure he is fed first, then I bring the exersaucer into the kitchen with me but he screams bloody murder until I pick him up and then stops INSTANTLY! Ugh. Can't wait for this stage to be over! So, what are your thoughts on his development. I never had bottles as I exclusively breastfed my babies. But I really thought that by 7 months they would be at least attempting it. I try to get him to hold it all the time and he just won't.
[email protected] 11:11 AM 07-22-2010
I would say give him more time, 7 mo is about average,... a little early in my experience. I would just encourage him to move around, keep him active and keep letting him be near you and talk to him while you prepare meals. But if he really cries I would feed him, change him and let him lay down while you cook.
DBug 11:21 AM 07-22-2010
I have a part-time 13 month old child that still doesn't want to hold his own bottle OR cup! Developmentally he's right on in every other way, though. I think it may just be First Child Syndrome , you know, where first-time parents are doing everything for the child, so the child is slower to pick up on certain things ... like feeding themselves or holding their own bottle.

This 7-month-old is still young, so it may just be the same issue -- he's never had to do it, so he's never learned. Same with occupying himself while you're making lunch. You may have to let him fuss/cry while he gets used to the idea that you're not available to hold him while you're cooking.

On the other hand, if you're not against carrying him, have you considered a baby backpack? My own kids lived in ours til they were each about 15 months.
sahm2three 11:42 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I have a part-time 13 month old child that still doesn't want to hold his own bottle OR cup! Developmentally he's right on in every other way, though. I think it may just be First Child Syndrome , you know, where first-time parents are doing everything for the child, so the child is slower to pick up on certain things ... like feeding themselves or holding their own bottle.

This 7-month-old is still young, so it may just be the same issue -- he's never had to do it, so he's never learned. Same with occupying himself while you're making lunch. You may have to let him fuss/cry while he gets used to the idea that you're not available to hold him while you're cooking.

On the other hand, if you're not against carrying him, have you considered a baby backpack? My own kids lived in ours til they were each about 15 months.
LOL! Ummm, I would attempt to carry around a normal sized child, but this baby is HUGE. I think he weighs like 27 pounds. I am already at the chiropractor 3 times a week right now for back issues. So don't think that is an option, but thanks for the idea!
Crystal 12:16 PM 07-22-2010
I wouldn't carry him.....he needs to move around and the reason he isn't moving around/sitting up etc. is because he has probably been held so much at home that he hasn't had the opportunity to develop the neccessary muscles to do so.

I also wouldn't put him in the exersaucer.....he needs to be on the floor with opportunity to move around so that he can develop the muscles and skills to hold himself up and to crawl.....the exersaucer/swing/bouncer etc. all prevent him from doing those things. In Ca. we aren't allowed to have exersaucers or walkers because of this. We cannot even have them out for our own children if daycare kids are in attendance.

If he's been fed, held for a bit, has a clean diaper and there is nothing else wrong with him, let him cry.....plain and simple. Sooner or later he'll realize that you are not going to pick him up every time and he will learn to self soothe.

Good luck, I know it's a super frustrating stage, but he'll grow out of it!
GretasLittleFriends 01:24 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
It has been a while since my kids were that young. I am a bit concerned about my 7 mo dcb's development. He is large. Very large. Wearing a size 18 to 24 month clothing! Anyway, he just started rolling over last month, he is not holding his own bottle, no where close to sitting. Doesn't really grab things that are in front of him. And he wants to be held ALL THE TIME. I feel terrible, but I do have to let him cry quite a bit. For instance, when it is time to make lunch, he is super fussy. I always make sure he is fed first, then I bring the exersaucer into the kitchen with me but he screams bloody murder until I pick him up and then stops INSTANTLY! Ugh. Can't wait for this stage to be over! So, what are your thoughts on his development. I never had bottles as I exclusively breastfed my babies. But I really thought that by 7 months they would be at least attempting it. I try to get him to hold it all the time and he just won't.
I have no new advice for you other than to agree with what Crystal said. Out of curiosity, is he new? Do you live in Missouri? This sounds like a dcb I used to have, recently moved to MO.
swaddlebees 02:35 PM 07-22-2010
For once I agree with Crystal.

I have the policy that if they are clean, dry, fed, then they can cry for a minute. They have to learn that you aren't always going to pick them up and tote them around. Eventually they will learn to play on their own. I have had a 6 month old in care for 2 weeks and he already has it figured out for the most part. He can also prop up, and hold his own bottle. He is breast fed and gets pumped milk here.

But oh wow at 27 lbs....HOW does that happen! He almost as big as my large almost 3 year old!
hawkfan428 03:40 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Oh man. I feel ya. I have a baby JUST like that. She's almost 10 months now but wears 24 month clothes. She is HUGE!! She still won't hold her own bottle. Won't even try! She's FINALLY starting to crawl and it's making life a little easier. Before she would sit on the floor and scream all day until me or my co-worker would pick her up. She would sit there and fall over backwards. Then she wouldn't even try to sit up...she'd just lie there like and upside down bug flailing her arms and legs and screaming at the top of her lungs!!

I hope it gets better for you. Crawling is doing wonders with my little..er..big one.
professionalmom 05:47 AM 07-26-2010
WOW!!! This thread just made me feel so much better about my DD. She'll be 2 in a couple days, she's 22lbs, in 18-24 month clothes, held her bottle on her own (without us teaching her) at 4 months, etc. And she's our first!! However, she was raised in my home daycare so she got the benefits of daycare (watching older kids) while being with mom all day long. What do the pediatricians say about the weight of these kids?! I would hate to find out the condition of their hearts and lungs at this early age with all that extra weight! And I used to be morbidly obese, so I am always concerned about obesity in children. It's sad to see kids so young and with weight issues already!
Tags:development
Reply Up