Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inconsistent Pickups and Drop Offs
saltmom75 12:32 AM 06-11-2012
I really could use some advice her because this is getting crazy. It's completely disruptive to my family and stresses me out. I have this family who was persistent about flexibility in the interview a month and a half ago. They talked different times on certain days for after school clubs because he's a teacher. On the contract they put 5:30 for pickup thoughbecause the mom said she'd just come for pick up. But it's never been 5:30. It's always some random time between 3:30 and 5:30. Then the dad says to be this week that he decided on 5:30 so they wouldn't ever have a late fee but it'll neve be 5:30! The mornings are just as bad. The contract time says 7:30 but I'm lucky if it's befor 8. They don't see a problem! I'm I wrong for wanting to pin point a more precise time?
Meyou 02:41 AM 06-11-2012
I ask that parents let me know if they're going to pick up before 4 pm or after 8:30 am. It's more because we're not always here during the day or I have something fun planned so noone has to look for us or wait or miss out.

If you have contract hours I would get Dad to pick his hours and stick with them.
Kaddidle Care 02:43 AM 06-11-2012
It sounds like they are well within their contract time. If you are planning to do trips or something just make sure they know the dates and times and proceed as usual.
Rachel 03:18 AM 06-11-2012
I agree they are in their contract. Would it be cheaper for them to change the hours? I think this is the issue with contract hours and not open hours. He did the smart thing by trying to hedge his bets. Also in the morning, would it be cheaper for him to move the start time to 8:00? Or would you charge him the same? Perhaps ask for a text if they are picking up before or after a certain time and it interferes with your day (you are in the middle of an activity or at the park), but other than that I would enjoy the fact that you are getting paid for time they are not using.
saltmom75 04:27 AM 06-11-2012
No it's not any cheaper for them. Maybe I'm just using this as a way to get rid of them subconsciously. The dad is so loud and lingers way too long even after I remind him it's time to go to work. (I did bring that up with them also and he got mad) Their child constantly has green snot running out of her nose. When she started they told me it was allergies but every single person in the house got bronchitis within a week or two of her starting. Then there's this. I don't know. It really bothers us. I only care for 2 families and the other is in and out at 3 everyday. Then we wait and can't really do anything for next 2 hours because we don't know when he'll be here. I asked them if they could do something to narrow this window - even tell me in the morning - but now they are "shocked" and don't understand why this is a problem. I'm so frustrated. Maybe I am wrong and I should be okay with not knowing when I get off work everyday.
Lianne 04:34 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by saltmom75:
It's completely disruptive to my family and stresses me out.

No matter what the issue is, if it's not working for you then make it stop. Make it stop by telling the parent the situation is not working for you and you insist it stops. If they persist, then terminate.

Why work under conditions that are stressing you out, especially when you own the business.
AnneCordelia 04:40 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
No matter what the issue is, if it's not working for you then make it stop. Make it stop by telling the parent the situation is not working for you and you insist it stops. If they persist, then terminate.

Why work under conditions that are stressing you out, especially when you own the business.
Exactly! Tell them you gave it a decent try but its just too chaotic for your family routine to not know what time to expect parents. Tell them you tried to be flexible but its just not working. Present your new terms of service and tell them that if they are not agreeable terms then this will be their two weeks notice of termination.
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 06-11-2012

Yes, this!

You own your own business so YOU set the rules. Don't keep doing something that isn't working for you!

Sounds to me like this family is just not a good fit for your program....sounds like they need a drop in center or a nanny.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do...you are your own boss!
MyAngels 09:11 AM 06-11-2012

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, this!

You own your own business so YOU set the rules. Don't keep doing something that isn't working for you!

Sounds to me like this family is just not a good fit for your program....sounds like they need a drop in center or a nanny.

I agree with these ladies, however this is a good lesson learned as far as interviewing new families goes.

It sounds like this family asked for flexibility when they interviewed with you and they felt like you were okay with it. Remember when you are filling vacancies that you are interviewing them, as much as they are interviewing you .

If what they're asking for would drive you nuts (as in this case) be clear and firm about what you will and will not allow.
SunshineMama 09:54 AM 06-11-2012
I don't think that parents realize how disrupting it is to us to have random pick up and drop off times, even if it is in an hour window.

For example: It's 8:00 in the morning. DCK's come anytime between 8-9am. I have to go to the bathroom, and it's going to take at least 5 minutes lol. I find myself running to the door to peek if they are here, rushing myself in the bathroom, and runnning out incase they come. I do not leave my door unlocked, and I am the only one here. Or, my dd always has a huge poopie diaper in the mornings, and I have to rush and change her incase a dck comes during that time.

It is so hard to plan and run a business when you are the sole person doing it. We literally need precise times to keep on schedule and remain sane. Parents figure if they come in their contracted time, any time, they are okay. Technically, they are not wrong, they just don't understand how difficult it is on us. You only know about things like that if you are in the business.
itlw8 10:18 AM 06-11-2012
so they want to know they have care until 5: 30 if there is something after school....

You want to know if you can make an appointment or family plans.

so how about they pick a time like 4 that they will come or let you know ahead of time if there is an activity and you will let them know if you need to leave before 4:15

In the summer do they still come ? so if no school could they pick a time
jojosmommy 11:20 AM 06-11-2012
I had a client like this who still tries this with me occassionally. I make them tell me the week prior what their plan is. They too scheduled 7-5:30 but really rarely come before 8 and sometimes pick up at 4:30.... same issue as yours. They didnt want late fees so the took the max time.

I go the park in the afternoon sometimes. If they dont give me heads up on pick up time and I'm gone then they have to call and come find me. This happened 2x and I think dad got the hint. I do things during the day based on the time they are coming.

Could you tell them that you are OK with them coming any time during their scheduled time but you would like a general idea. Then have them write down this weeks plan each monday at drop off. Two families give me a calendar and it works awesome for me. Or tell them they need to call 10 mins prior to drop off/pick up so that everyone is ready.
My3cents 04:05 PM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, this!

yes yes and yes...... but....... if you want to do something you should be able to do it. Someone once posted put a note on your door- Gone for a walk, call my cell to hook up with us. I say you talk with your parents and ask for consistent hours. Explain to them your not offering drop off services you work on set hours.
saltmom75 05:03 AM 06-20-2012
I suggested that for summer we could have a consistent time for picking up. They say they are disappointed in me. They reminded me that during the interview they said they needed flexibility because different days had different pickup times. I told them then that it wouldn't be a problem as long as I knew when that would be. Everyone seemed fine with that, but now they say they have no idea when they'll be done with work. The dad even implied that being a salaried employee you just don't know. HA! I've been a salaried employee and yes, somedays are tough, but not everyday.

Anyway, I got them on a schedule for summer and the dad has a bad attitude with me now. BUT he doesn't hang around to chat for 30 minutes every morning anymore! lol I don't know what will happen when school starts. He threatened to go somewhere else and I just said okay - the contract states that I need a month's notice or a month's pay.

So I guess we'll see! The mom picks up now around 5 everyday. The dad says he thought he was doing me a favor by picking up early. He says he likes to get off work early. I tried explaining to him that he can come early all he wants, as long as he tells me that in the morning at drop off time. It's definitely less stressful around here!!
SunshineMama 05:37 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by saltmom75:
I suggested that for summer we could have a consistent time for picking up. They say they are disappointed in me. They reminded me that during the interview they said they needed flexibility because different days had different pickup times. I told them then that it wouldn't be a problem as long as I knew when that would be. Everyone seemed fine with that, but now they say they have no idea when they'll be done with work. The dad even implied that being a salaried employee you just don't know. HA! I've been a salaried employee and yes, somedays are tough, but not everyday.

Anyway, I got them on a schedule for summer and the dad has a bad attitude with me now. BUT he doesn't hang around to chat for 30 minutes every morning anymore! lol I don't know what will happen when school starts. He threatened to go somewhere else and I just said okay - the contract states that I need a month's notice or a month's pay.

So I guess we'll see! The mom picks up now around 5 everyday. The dad says he thought he was doing me a favor by picking up early. He says he likes to get off work early. I tried explaining to him that he can come early all he wants, as long as he tells me that in the morning at drop off time. It's definitely less stressful around here!!
I would almost have the kid stay an extra hour or two and be picked up or dropped off consistently than them picking up early randomly without telling me. It is seriously less stressful. Sorry they are being "disappointed" in you- they just dont understand how frustrating it is for you to be at their beck and call. It is impossible to plan a day without consistency! Glad things are les stressful for you!
Lilbutterflie 05:57 AM 06-20-2012
I always tell my parents that I am flexible but I need them to communicate with me; if you are dropping off late- let me know. If you are picking up early- let me know. We are not always here because we go on walks around the neighborhood and to the park. So if a parent is not consistent with pickup/drop off times & does not communicate with me; I make sure to tell myself I WILL NOT plan my day around them!! We get out of the house and go for our walks according to everyone's contracted times; and if they come early/late and we are not home -it's their fault.
DBug 07:30 AM 06-20-2012
I must be the odd one out . I guess I just don't see what the issue is with dropping off late/picking up early?

I give parents a copy of our schedule with bus runs, outdoor time, etc. If we're going out and I'm still expecting someone to show up I leave a note with where (approximately) we'll be. For example: "out in the back field", "walking around the block", etc. They come find us where ever we are, or wait for us in the driveway at the house. If the parent would rather drop off or pick up when we're at the house, they have the schedule -- they can do it when we're scheduled to be at home. I'm not going to let one family's random schedule dictate my daily routine, kwim? And I don't need the stress of worrying about it. I've got enough stress in my life as it is

And I welcome early pick-ups! I would rather the parents spend as much time with their kiddos as possible. If they get picked up before pm snack, I'll let the parent know they might be hungry. If I've already gotten their snack ready, I'll put it in a bag or container to take with them.

I don't know, I guess I figure it's their kid and they're paying for the time. If they want LESS time for their money, I'm more than willing to oblige!
azdemi 09:04 AM 06-20-2012
I have a client I have had for 3 years. Recently the mom got remarried and every since then she has been unreliable. Says she will be here and not show up and not call while we sit and wait to go on a field trip. She finally calls me and assures me that she will be here on Monday then texts me she got cancelled to work that day. I said ok at least she let me know. Then she assures me they will be here yesturday. No call, no show.. I try to contact her and no answer. Still havent heard anything from them. I just dont know what to do, they never behaved like this before. She tells me they only have the one phone and her hubby takes it so I thought maybe shes not getting my messages. But then I think No, shes the one who assured me she would be here yesturday. I know they are having money problems too. Then I have another client who said she needed me everyday this week and has yet to bring kids over. She said her friend wanted to visit them today and then she was sick on Monday and yesturday she had her bf watch them. I am just frustrated since I depend on them to pay our bills. And when they say they will be here and they are not I dont know what to say for fear I will loose them for good. Which may or may not be a good thing. After 13 years of doing this I dont know why I am suddenly hitting this period, My hubby says it will be ok and maybe its the economy and it being summer doesnt help with people vacationing. I just needed to vent..Thanks everyone for reading.
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by azdemi:
I have a client I have had for 3 years. Recently the mom got remarried and every since then she has been unreliable. Says she will be here and not show up and not call while we sit and wait to go on a field trip. She finally calls me and assures me that she will be here on Monday then texts me she got cancelled to work that day. I said ok at least she let me know. Then she assures me they will be here yesturday. No call, no show.. I try to contact her and no answer. Still havent heard anything from them. I just dont know what to do, they never behaved like this before. She tells me they only have the one phone and her hubby takes it so I thought maybe shes not getting my messages. But then I think No, shes the one who assured me she would be here yesturday. I know they are having money problems too.

You need to have this mom give you a written schedule for the week WITH payment in advance. Then do NOT wait for her to do any field trips, activities or anything else. Go about your day as normal. She will have paid for her space and if she chooses to not use it then that will be her problem not yours.

I don't do refunds or credit for time not used. I charge to reserve the space and if you use it, great! If not..then NOT my problem.

Then I have another client who said she needed me everyday this week and has yet to bring kids over. She said her friend wanted to visit them today and then she was sick on Monday and yesturday she had her bf watch them. I am just frustrated since I depend on them to pay our bills. And when they say they will be here and they are not I dont know what to say for fear I will loose them for good. Which may or may not be a good thing. After 13 years of doing this I dont know why I am suddenly hitting this period, My hubby says it will be ok and maybe its the economy and it being summer doesnt help with people vacationing. I just needed to vent..Thanks everyone for reading.

Same goes for this mom. Written schedule and payment in advance. You do your thing and don't worry about them. If they don't give you a schedule when you require it to be in, then there should not be space available to them. If they dont give you payment in advance then there should be NO services for them.

NO pay=No stay.

I answered in bold above.

Another thing is to add a late fee for late payments. I also charge a higher iialy rate for families who give me their schedules late.
Rachel 02:47 AM 06-21-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
I must be the odd one out . I guess I just don't see what the issue is with dropping off late/picking up early?

I give parents a copy of our schedule with bus runs, outdoor time, etc. If we're going out and I'm still expecting someone to show up I leave a note with where (approximately) we'll be. For example: "out in the back field", "walking around the block", etc. They come find us where ever we are, or wait for us in the driveway at the house. If the parent would rather drop off or pick up when we're at the house, they have the schedule -- they can do it when we're scheduled to be at home. I'm not going to let one family's random schedule dictate my daily routine, kwim? And I don't need the stress of worrying about it. I've got enough stress in my life as it is

And I welcome early pick-ups! I would rather the parents spend as much time with their kiddos as possible. If they get picked up before pm snack, I'll let the parent know they might be hungry. If I've already gotten their snack ready, I'll put it in a bag or container to take with them.

I don't know, I guess I figure it's their kid and they're paying for the time. If they want LESS time for their money, I'm more than willing to oblige!
Nope, I was starting to think I was nuts. Sometimes it's aggrevating after the fact (today my first kid came at 8, I could have done a load of laundry in that time or run to the local store quick), but really I just enjoy it. If a parent knocks and I'm in the toilet or changing a diaper, I tell them I'll be right there and come. So they wait 2 minutes. It could happen if they came at the same time every day too. I'm not going to leave a kid in a dirty diaper because I am expecting a parent, the parent will wait a minute. If they need to run to work, they will get up a few minutes earlier to give themselves time (none of mine drop off when I open).
Tags:drop off policy, inconsistant routines, pick up policy
Reply Up