Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Communicating Developmental/Behavioral Concerns to DCPS
Unregistered 06:44 AM 03-23-2011
I am a registered member but staying unregistered on this one. Got word from my licensor that it is now a providers responsibility to "monitor child's development. As soon as a developmental delay or special need is suspected, it is important to report this to a parent to ensure that the child will have access to early and appropriate interventions, if needed." We are to collect data, document modifications that WE have made to meet the dc kids needs/results, schedule meeting with dcp, give dcps resources, end meeting with a plan. WHAT? I have a 4 year degree as well as 2 years additional schooling plus all of the hours required by my state to have my license. My education is not in child development. Although I can see some things that some of my dc children might need work in AND I have mentioned things casually (non-threatening and kind) to dcps, I have been told basically to mind my business. Why is my county requiring this? Anyone else hearing that they should be doing these things? I don't get paid enough. If we don't have these meetings with parents and discuss our concerns, can this come back to bite us providers later? After trying to do this in the past and being told to butt out by parents, I really don't want to get involved. I want to do my job to the best of my ability each day, teach, play, care, love. I am not a happy provider today after hearing that this is now part of our job. What else is the government going to make us providers do in the course of our day?
Tags:communicating, concerns, development, intervention, licensing
Up