Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If it storms during naptime
Unregistered 10:11 AM 05-30-2014
If it storms during naptime and everyone is sleeping do you wake them to go to the shelter or leave them sleep and hope the storm doesn't get bad?
SilverSabre25 10:13 AM 05-30-2014
define "storm"

from the sounds of it...you take shelter every time it thunders. Not trying to be rude, but that IS how it comes across.

Assuming you mean "tornado warning in your county" or something of that level...I play it by the conditions just like all other times of the day. We don't take shelter, period, unless it's heading for us/too close for comfort, and I don't wake sleeping children unless absolutely friggin' necessary.
NightOwl 10:20 AM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
define "storm"

from the sounds of it...you take shelter every time it thunders. Not trying to be rude, but that IS how it comes across.

Assuming you mean "tornado warning in your county" or something of that level...I play it by the conditions just like all other times of the day. We don't take shelter, period, unless it's heading for us/too close for comfort, and I don't wake sleeping children unless absolutely friggin' necessary.

Unregistered 10:24 AM 05-30-2014
Sorry! no we don't go to the basement every time it thunders. I have to carry each child down the steps because they are really steep. I let them sleep during a storm once it was just rain and in minutes the sky was black the wind was blowing and the lights went out so I woke the children and went down to the basement. I just wondered if other daycares would wake their children up?

And your right I usually don't wake my kids up for nothing either. Food program lady was like you don't wake your kids up? Nope they wake when they are ready!
melskids 10:27 AM 05-30-2014
In my area we don't typically have life threatening storms like earthquakes, hurricanes, or tornados.

For regular old thunderstorms/heavy rain/hail...no I don't wake them. If anything, they sleep better through them.
craftymissbeth 11:01 AM 05-30-2014
If the weather was dangerous, yes I'd wake them up. To me dangerous is anything that warrants a severe weather warning AND the weather service advises taking shelter OR if I felt that we would just be safer in our shelter.
saved4always 01:19 PM 05-30-2014
If I got a warning that my area should take shelter, I would wake them and take them to the basement. Otherwise, I would watch the weather on tv/internet and through the windows so I know if it gets bad. With the radar the stations use now, they seem to get it down to the actually street where weather is hitting so I can usually see if it is going to be bad by us. I wouldn't wake them to go to the basement just in case.
spinnymarie 01:40 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by saved4always:
If I got a warning that my area should take shelter, I would wake them and take them to the basement. Otherwise, I would watch the weather on tv/internet and through the windows so I know if it gets bad. With the radar the stations use now, they seem to get it down to the actually street where weather is hitting so I can usually see if it is going to be bad by us. I wouldn't wake them to go to the basement just in case.
Yes
BumbleBee 01:46 PM 05-30-2014
We get some storms where the sky LOOKS bad but generally unless there's tornado sirens, straight line winds, or a 'take shelter' announcement, we just carry on.
rebekki78 10:58 AM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by saved4always:

Unregistered 11:24 AM 06-03-2014
We are currently under a tornado watch I hope it doesn't storm until later this evening when the kids are gone.
Mom of 4 01:11 PM 06-03-2014
IDK, I just kind of watch, since we don't get many tornadoes here, though it HAS happened. I only got stuck once with kids in a closet basement because sirens were going off on the military base and then we found out there was a warning.

I was always told 'if it's a watch" you keep an eye on things, but go about your business. If it's a 'warning' you get your tail to a basement.
Reply Up