Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2021, 07:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Really Struggling

I hate to bother everyone again. I was on here earlier last year after having a negative experience with my center I "swore off" ECE for good. Well, I ended up finding a new job but, unfortunately, I got laid off from it after 2 months due to COVID-19. My director said I could go back but that center was really small and only went up to age 2. It was not the right fit for me.

I also found myself constantly nervous and unable to trust my co-workers because of what happened prior to this. It was also hard for me to be around kids because I couldn't let the past go. I really don't want to feel this way and I don't want to let a bad experience ruin my passion. I want to overcome.

I now work at Chick Fil A. It's not too bad I just miss working with kids. I've only been at CFA for a month. I really wanna leave. I've been talking to a director at a center who says I can be a lead while enrolled to get my CDA. I think being a lead is a lot better than being an assistant. I also know I would be nice to my kids.

I'm just afraid how all the job hopping and short term jobs I have on my resume will look. I would put in a two weeks notice at CFA and tell them I just miss being a teacher. I guess I'm just struggling to decide whether or not I should get back into the field.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2021, 12:10 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,694
Default

You need to settle into a job and stick with it a couple years at least. Find the job that is most appealing and work on it. You will not work your way up the ladder if your coworkers and superiors can’t rely on you as a reliable team player.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2021, 01:09 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,818
Default

Is there an opportunity to take any early childhood classes locally while you stick it out for awhile where you are? I understand you'd like to be working with children again but maybe if you work towards that goal and stay at Chick-Fila while you do that, it'll show more intention on a resume? IDK. Or maybe talk with the director and tell her your concerns and see if there is a way to work part time to get your foot in the door? Working towards a CDA is a great goal but I wonder if they'd feel confident you'd stay and accomplish that. KWIM? I hope I don't sound snarky or anything but it seems to be what your fear is if you leave your new job now.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,654
Default

In this particular moment in time (pandemic), I'm sure a lot of people will be "job hopping".
I personally know of several that have worked in high paying professional fields that are now working exclusively for Shipt or Instacart due to lay offs.
I don't think it will reflect on your overall resume right now.

Go with where your heart leads you. Make a plan, then work the plan.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

do you think centers will close down again in 2021?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
do you think centers will close down again in 2021?
Yes. Many of ours are shutting down right now. Public schools are closing again until the 25th, they were supposed to go back today. Pre-K also closes when the schools do.

Many are also closing for good and having open house sales, here. The family providers seem to be OK, but the centers are crashing.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2021, 04:08 PM
dolores's Avatar
dolores dolores is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I hate to bother everyone again. I was on here earlier last year after having a negative experience with my center I "swore off" ECE for good. Well, I ended up finding a new job but, unfortunately, I got laid off from it after 2 months due to COVID-19. My director said I could go back but that center was really small and only went up to age 2. It was not the right fit for me.

I also found myself constantly nervous and unable to trust my co-workers because of what happened prior to this. It was also hard for me to be around kids because I couldn't let the past go. I really don't want to feel this way and I don't want to let a bad experience ruin my passion. I want to overcome.

I now work at Chick Fil A. It's not too bad I just miss working with kids. I've only been at CFA for a month. I really wanna leave. I've been talking to a director at a center who says I can be a lead while enrolled to get my CDA. I think being a lead is a lot better than being an assistant. I also know I would be nice to my kids.

I'm just afraid how all the job hopping and short term jobs I have on my resume will look. I would put in a two weeks notice at CFA and tell them I just miss being a teacher. I guess I'm just struggling to decide whether or not I should get back into the field.
It sounds like the negative ECE experience traumatized you. The break from that kind of job might have been a good thing for your state of mind. And, since you've stepped away you've realized that you liked working with kids and have identified the size and age group you would like to work with. Bravo!

Don't worry too much about how the short term jobs would look on your resume. I wouldn't even put CFA on it as its just been 1 month. And, you lost prior job due to covid which any employer will understand. Focus now on finding something you like that you will stick with.

If you are considering the CDA, I suggest also looking into an Associates degree in ECE to see which offers you more options. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2021, 09:41 PM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Yes. Many of ours are shutting down right now. Public schools are closing again until the 25th, they were supposed to go back today. Pre-K also closes when the schools do.

Many are also closing for good and having open house sales, here. The family providers seem to be OK, but the centers are crashing.
Centers are closing from mandates or lack of enrollment?

All childcare (centers and in-home) have all remained open through everything so far in MN. All our local schools went 100% distance learning. But the preschools inside the schools stayed open. The before/after care program also stayed open.

Itís so strange how each state, even counties do things so differently.

Daycares here will likely never close. Our governor puts strong emphasis on us remaining open through it all. Even the grants we got were dependent on us remaining open.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2021, 03:39 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,818
Default

AFAIK, all our local centers have remained open throughout also. There are essential workers that need care everywhere. I know a couple providers who had less dcks for a bit but never heard anything about lack of # with centers. Maybe if are in touch with the center, you could ask that question of how they've held up through the pandemic?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2021, 05:41 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
Centers are closing from mandates or lack of enrollment?
Issues in order of discussion.
  1. Paying unemployment & insurance is too much.
  2. Lack of employee's willing to work.
  3. Lowered Ratios.
  4. Maintaining large buildings are no longer profitable.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-06-2021, 05:43 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Issues in order of discussion.
  1. Paying unemployment & insurance is too much.
  2. Lack of employee's willing to work.
  3. Lowered Ratios.
  4. Maintaining large buildings are no longer profitable.
This^^^Is going to be an issue for alot of businesses. My brothers company has sold many buildings this year!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-06-2021, 10:25 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,060
Default

Have you considered Nanning? A lot of families want to use a nanny right now instead of day care due to Covid-19.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cda, cda portfolio, closing due to covid-19, life choices

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Struggling Between Being Nice And Standing Firm Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 10-06-2017 03:34 AM
Struggling With Nap/Quiet Time For 3-Year-Old Kajada Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 04-19-2017 04:28 AM
New kid, struggling with behavior daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 09-25-2015 02:18 PM
Some Of You Know I've Been Struggling And Thinking Of Terming... Countrygal Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 12-16-2012 09:47 PM
I'm Struggling.... Countrygal Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 29 08-23-2012 02:49 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming