Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracted Hours or Business Hours
Nikkisomething 11:55 AM 12-05-2013
My contract clearly states that my rates are based on a 9 hour day or a 45 hour week, even though my hours are 10 1/2 a day.
I have a DCF that has slowly begun taking advantage of my time. It started a few months ago, the DCM would bring her little girl to me about 30 minutes early. She started bringing her right at the time I would open, and not pick her up until 5 minutes before I closed. Often times the mom would still be in her pajamas. I started getting really annoyed. The day I decided to do something about it, she showed up right after I unlocked my door for the day, in her pajamas, and said "little girl" was being naughty, so she had to drop her off so she could get ready for work. I was beyond annoyed. I don't ever want my daycare kids to think of my house as being a punishment because the parents don't want to deal with them.
"Little girl" is just over a year old.
So I sent home a letter to all parents (not wanting to target just the one), reminding them of my rates and contract, and advised that I would start enforcing OT if their children are here beyond the contracted hours.
None of my other families had an issue with this, except this particular family. She claims that she needs her daughter to be here those hours because she can't do anything with her around.
She is still ranting and raving about it, and I'm about done. Ready to throw in the towel.
I feel like I keep my rates low (I'm the lowest in our area) and parents should respect that and respect my contract.
This mom just feels that my hours of operation should be her contracted hours and that her daughter should be allowed to be here for 10 1/2 hours a day, because she can't deal with getting things done with the little girl around.
I feel like I'd be willing to be a little more flexible if she needed these long hours because of her job, but in reality, she works part time (does not go to school) and only works about 10 minutes (in traffic) from my home.
Am I being unreasonable by telling her to get over it or find a new daycare for her daughter?
melilley 12:03 PM 12-05-2013
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all! You have contracted hours for a reason and this mom needs to follow your contract that she signed.

As far as her bringing her all day when she only works part time, well that's a whole different subject!
butterfly 12:04 PM 12-05-2013
Looks like you have 3 options...
1. charge her for the time she uses
2. Term
3. let her continue to have her way

Personally, if you've already addressed this with her and she is still complaining - I'd have to term. I would view this as highly disrespectful and I just couldn't continue to put up with it.

Nikkisomething 12:10 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Looks like you have 3 options...
1. charge her for the time she uses
2. Term
3. let her continue to have her way

Personally, if you've already addressed this with her and she is still complaining - I'd have to term. I would view this as highly disrespectful and I just couldn't continue to put up with it.

To term, it would be so hard, because the little girl is so sweet. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old.

I just don't understand WHY a parent would not want to spend time with their child when they can.

As a mom of 2 myself, I can understand that parents need a break occasionally, but everyday? Come on!

I have a waiting list for infants and toddlers. One mom is desperate to her her DD in here. Maybe I just need to grow a set and bit the bullet and write up a term letter...
Blackcat31 12:14 PM 12-05-2013
I also operate on contracted hours. I charge according to pick up time and NOT drop off time.

So a family that uses care from 7-3 would pay the same as a family who uses care from 9-3.

I also only allow a max of 9 hours use per day. If a family needs more than 9 hours, they have to schedule in advance AND pay the additional cost on top of their regular fees.

Anything outside of their contracted hours that was scheduled in advance pays a $1 per minute. Even if I still have other kids here.
Nikkisomething 12:24 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I also operate on contracted hours. I charge according to pick up time and NOT drop off time.

So a family that uses care from 7-3 would pay the same as a family who uses care from 9-3.

I also only allow a max of 9 hours use per day. If a family needs more than 9 hours, they have to schedule in advance AND pay the additional cost on top of their regular fees.

Anything outside of their contracted hours that was scheduled in advance pays a $1 per minute. Even if I still have other kids here.
My OT rates are $5 for every 1/2 hour portion they are here beyond their contracted hours. This is pretty standard for the other DC homes in my area.

She just doesn't seem to get it. I have explained to her (until I was blue in the face) that most people work 40 hours a week, if they work overtime, they get overtime pay. I work 50+ hours a week and don't get overtime. She huffed and said that maybe I should have thought about that before starting a daycare!

I have done daycare for 6 years now and have never dealt with a snarky mom like this!
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Nikkisomething:
My OT rates are $5 for every 1/2 hour portion they are here beyond their contracted hours. This is pretty standard for the other DC homes in my area.

She just doesn't seem to get it. I have explained to her (until I was blue in the face) that most people work 40 hours a week, if they work overtime, they get overtime pay. I work 50+ hours a week and don't get overtime. She huffed and said that maybe I should have thought about that before starting a daycare!
I have done daycare for 6 years now and have never dealt with a snarky mom like this!
Oh hell no!!

She should of thought about your policies BEFORE signing and agreeing to them.

Holy moly...I would have a hard time not saying something to her.

If I were you, I would stop explaining anything and just say "Here is my rate sheet. This is the way it is because this is MY business. If you don't like it or can't make it work for you, then I will consider this your two week notice."

Bet she will scramble to stay...especially if you are already on the lower end of rates. If you want, you can see my rate sheet and how I bill. I bet she wouldn't like mine then either.

I know you can't not take parents that do this (leave their kid in care for soooo long everyday) but you CAN make it worth YOUR while. ..kwim?

btw, I am also in MN.
CedarCreek 12:32 PM 12-05-2013

Term. Please.
TwinKristi 12:41 PM 12-05-2013

Well she obviously doesn't want her child in your care that bad if she would talk that way to you. That's just plain rude. She should have thought about what an "inconvenience" children are before having one!
melilley 12:45 PM 12-05-2013

I'm one of those who, I admit, let things slide, but this? No Way! I would definitely had said something or actually would have termed! How rude of her to say such a thing. I'm in disbelief!
Nikkisomething 12:47 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by twinkristi:
well she obviously doesn't want her child in your care that bad if she would talk that way to you. That's just plain rude. She should have thought about what an "inconvenience" children are before having one!
right?!?
butterfly 12:49 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Term. Please.

without question, after dcm's comment!
e.j. 06:34 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh hell no!!

She should of thought about your policies BEFORE signing and agreeing to them.

Holy moly...I would have a hard time not saying something to her.

If I were you, I would stop explaining anything and just say "Here is my rate sheet. This is the way it is because this is MY business. If you don't like it or can't make it work for you, then I will consider this your two week notice."
I let a lot slide but never a comment like "maybe you should have thought about that before starting a daycare!" That was such a disrespectful, rude and ignorant thing to say. You deserve a lot of credit for not terming her on the spot.

If this kind of comment is typical from her, I'd feel comfortable giving her a termination letter. If she isn't usually that snarky and I wanted to keep the family, I would speak with her again and say, "You know, you caught me off guard the other day when you said...... I'm sure you didn't mean that comment to come across the way it did. I want you to understand that I gave my hours and rates a great deal of thought before I started my day care business. They work well for me. If they no longer work well for you, I understand and will have no hard feelings if you decide to give your two week notice. Just to be clear, my policy is...... Give it some thought and let me know tomorrow what you would like to do."
MotherNature 07:25 AM 12-06-2013
Yikes. I'd be wanting to term too. So, any updates?
Nikkisomething 01:19 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Yikes. I'd be wanting to term too. So, any updates?
No new updates. She is rather short when dropping her girl off. I have just decided that if she brings it up again, my term letter is written up and she will be handed it.
renodeb 01:39 PM 12-09-2013
To be real honest, that seems like a lot to keep track of. My business hours are 6:45-5:15 Monday-Friday. I dont do contracted hours. So far I have been lucky that my dc kids arent here any longer than they have to be. I agree with the others. I know terming a parent is tough but sometimes its the only way to go. Parents need to respect our rules. Remind them that they signed a contract with you.
Meeko 03:26 PM 12-09-2013
Snarky parent = "out the door" as far as I'm concerned!
grandmom 06:30 PM 12-09-2013
I feel like I keep my rates low (I'm the lowest in our area) and parents should respect that and respect my contract.

This mom just feels that my hours of operation should be her contracted hours and that her daughter should be allowed to be here for 10 1/2 hours a day, because she can't deal with getting things done with the little girl around.

I feel like I'd be willing to be a little more flexible if she needed these long hours because of her job, but in reality, she works part time (does not go to school) and only works about 10 minutes (in traffic) from my home.
Am I being unreasonable by telling her to get over it or find a new daycare for her daughter?
First, she doesn't respect you because you are at the lower end of the pay scale. What we charge speaks volumes.

Did she sign a contract for contracted hours? If so, just give her an invoice for what she owes. Promise, an invoice or two of extra time will end it.

Please make sure this little one knows she is loved in your home, so that she never feels your home is discipline. Make it clear in front of the mom that you are fun and loving.

She will take advantage of what ever you are willing to let her take advantage of.
daycare 06:42 PM 12-09-2013
as hard as it is to hear, the others are right when they say you have to stop letting her do it.

Being a new provider is hard. You want to bend over backwards to please everyone, only to find out that way does not work.

Don't forget, you are a business and you spent all of that time working on writing and perfecting your PHB. You did not write it not to follow it right??

The only way that the parents are going to stop doing this to you, is if you STOP letting them.

I know its hard, but trust me when I tell you that they will respect you more in the long run when you put your foot down and say NO.

The parents signed your contract, they need to follow it. I don't care if you said on monday everyone will pee blue, if they signed it, they need to follow it and you have to do your part and enforce it. lol
cheerfuldom 08:35 PM 12-09-2013
If you have a waiting list, use it! do not work any extra time at all for free

as for why parents do this sort of thing, it is easier and selfish to toss your kids off on another person. moms feel okay doing this to the provider because they are paying you and you take care of kids so whats the problem? seems perfectly logical if you are thinking about yourself and not thinking about how much your child needs you, how quickly the time goes by, and what you are doing to your provider when you are pushing against the policies.

pure selfishness.

yes it is harder to get ready when kids are around, even good kids. welcome to being a parent. deal with it.
Nikkisomething 06:00 AM 12-10-2013
Term letter was given this morning when she dropped her off 2 hours earlier than planned, unannounced. It was my day to sleep in (No DCK scheduled until 8) I woke up to hearing her LOUD vehicle in my driveway!
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 12-10-2013
Term letter was given this morning when she dropped her off 2 hours earlier than planned, unannounced. It was my day to sleep in (No DCK scheduled until 8) I woke up to hearing her LOUD vehicle in my driveway!
Ummm, yeah she definitely needs to go.

How did she take being termed? Did she still leave her child?

I would have had a super hard time dealing with someone so disrespectful towards me. Good for you for not playing her game.

Hopefully filling the space won't be too terrible difficult. I'm sure just about anyone would be a better than this mom!
Nikkisomething 06:23 AM 12-10-2013
She claimed there was an emergency and she needed to go in early. I told her a phone call would have been nice.

I feel as if a weight has been lifted. No more stressing over this lady!

I am going to not plan on her being here tomorrow, but she has 2 weeks.. (Good thing I bill in advance!)
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 12-10-2013
She claimed there was an emergency and she needed to go in early. I told her a phone call would have been nice.

I feel as if a weight has been lifted. No more stressing over this lady!

I am going to not plan on him being here tomorrow, but she has 2 weeks.. (Good thing I bill in advance!)
YES!!!!

The relief when these types of toxic relationships are terminated is awesome!!

ENJOY the holidays free of her!
butterfly 06:34 AM 12-10-2013
GREAT JOB!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!
Reply Up