Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diapers
Unregistered 03:36 PM 02-09-2015
What has been your experience with cloth diapers and dc? I have one with them now, and it's only the second time I've had someone use them. This family has been perturbed almost daily that I've had to change the baby's clothes 2 or 3 times a day. I change the diapers at least every 1.5 to 2.5 hours, and I am not new to baby care by any means. I got a little upset when dcm came in and counted the dirty clothes and wondered aloud "what was wrong with his diapers?" I told her, professionally, that I felt like she was insinuating that I was doing something wrong. I explained to her where and why the diapers are leaking (they are fleece lined and it wicks to the snaps and right out into the clothes), and that older or used diapers are going to have broken down lining. I think that is just the nature of cloth diapers...more leaking. Am I right?
Snowmom 03:45 PM 02-09-2015
That's strange. Are they too small for the baby?
I've done cloth diapers with only one of my dck and for the most part, they worked just fine. I changed her about every 2-2.5 hours. The only time she had leaks was when she had both BM and pee (or when she started needed a bigger size).
Her diapers weren't fleece lined though.
Did the parents say if they've had any issues with leaking?
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 04:21 PM 02-09-2015
I have had two dck in cloth. One still is. Hers will leak when they need to be stripped of the build up.
jenboo 04:30 PM 02-09-2015
Are you pulling all the leg rolls out of the diaper? Is the waist a little lose? Are you making sure the clothes are not getting into the leg creases of the diaper? Do they need more absorbency?
I have lots of experience with cloth and rarely any leaking issues.
Blackcat31 05:00 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What has been your experience with cloth diapers and dc? I have one with them now, and it's only the second time I've had someone use them. This family has been perturbed almost daily that I've had to change the baby's clothes 2 or 3 times a day. I change the diapers at least every 1.5 to 2.5 hours, and I am not new to baby care by any means. I got a little upset when dcm came in and counted the dirty clothes and wondered aloud "what was wrong with his diapers?" I told her, professionally, that I felt like she was insinuating that I was doing something wrong. I explained to her where and why the diapers are leaking (they are fleece lined and it wicks to the snaps and right out into the clothes), and that older or used diapers are going to have broken down lining. I think that is just the nature of cloth diapers...more leaking. Am I right?
The only leaking Ive experienced with my cloth wearer has been when the diapers havent been washed or stripped properly or fit incorrectly like others have mentioned.

I personally have found that I need to change every 1.5-2 hours verses 2+ for disposable wearers.
Controlled Chaos 05:07 PM 02-09-2015
I just started my first cloth diaper kiddo. He is nearly 2 and no leaking so far. I change him ever 2hrs. But I have noticed the smell. I put the dirty ones in the water proof, sealed bag dcm brings, but they stink! I have had to air out the bathroom after they take the bag home every night. Is this normal? (sorry to highjack!)
finsup 05:20 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I just started my first cloth diaper kiddo. He is nearly 2 and no leaking so far. I change him ever 2hrs. But I have noticed the smell. I put the dirty ones in the water proof, sealed bag dcm brings, but they stink! I have had to air out the bathroom after they take the bag home every night. Is this normal? (sorry to highjack!)
I know a lot of people who seem to experience this but I've been cloth diapering my daughter for 9 months now and haven't had it happened. Generally a bleach soak or stripping seems to fix it. I did however have a DCB in the past who was cloth diapered and the ammonia build up was AWFUL. I don't. Know what was going on there but I hated changing him. That family didn't last (for other reasons though). As for leaks, def check the fit, have mom how you how they do it at home..maybe that would help? Mine only tend to leak when I loose track of time.
Unregistered 06:37 PM 02-09-2015
I don't think it's normal for cloth diapers to leak, even as they get older.

I used pockets on my own babies (fleece lined, with snaps), bought them used, then used them for 4 kids. Even on the last kid, they weren't leaking. They *did* sometimes leak when it was time to move up absorbency (put in a bigger insert or two).

Toddler pee does smell more than tiny baby pee in cloth diapers. They have to strip/bleach more often.
Unregistered 06:28 AM 02-10-2015
He is only 11 weeks old, so maybe it is the fit. They look fine, but maybe the pee is squishing out from a tight fit. I change him so often to avoid a leak, but it still happens 1-3 times in a 10-hour day. They use disposable at home. The smell isn't bad yet, except for the storage bag. I put that out on front step and that annoys them too. Sorry, I don't want my house to smell like a bag of dirty diapers. Yuck! I will suggest the stripping and fit to them. Thank you for your input! He came in disposables today.
finsup 07:07 AM 02-10-2015
They use disposables at home but want YOU to do cloth? Uh sorry, that would not go over well here lol. I don't mind cloth, I cloth diaper my own but really (to me) disposables are easier. If dcp does clot at home, OK, no problem. If they do disposables but wanted me to put in the extra effort of cloth...not happening
Unregistered 09:22 AM 02-10-2015
I agree; cloth at dc and sposies at home would not fly here. I would suggest that if they want him in cloth half the time, they choose the half when they are at home.
Unregistered 09:22 AM 02-10-2015
Mom said she did an initial stripping when she first got the diapers but not since. How often do those of you that use the cloth for your kids do the stripping cleaning? These have been used ft at daycare for 5 weeks now.
Unregistered 09:26 AM 02-10-2015
And yes, it is super annoying to know that I am dealing with this mularchy and they take the easy way at home. I know from experience if I whine about that they will just lie, and I guess I would rather know the truth and complain about it to my friends and husband, than be lied to!
jenboo 09:51 AM 02-10-2015
Mom said she did an initial stripping when she first got the diapers but not since. How often do those of you that use the cloth for your kids do the stripping cleaning? These have been used ft at daycare for 5 weeks now.
It really depends on her wash routine and if she has hard or soft water.
Is she on Facebook?
I highly recommend the group fluff live & cloth diaper science. They can help her figure out what's going on
melilley 10:07 AM 02-10-2015
I'm on my second dc child in cloth diapers. The first child's diapers never leaked. The second child's leaked when she first started coming here. I didn't get it. Everyday I would change her like you, every 1.5-2 hours and she would leak right through. I thought I was putting them on wrong, but I wasn't. Dad said it happened at home too, but mom looked puzzled when I told her that she leaked. I started putting plastic pants over her diapers when she was here. I didn't want her to leak onto my carpet or furniture.
Then all of a sudden, they stopped leaking. I have no idea why they leaked.
melilley 10:10 AM 02-10-2015
He is only 11 weeks old, so maybe it is the fit. They look fine, but maybe the pee is squishing out from a tight fit. I change him so often to avoid a leak, but it still happens 1-3 times in a 10-hour day. They use disposable at home. The smell isn't bad yet, except for the storage bag. I put that out on front step and that annoys them too. Sorry, I don't want my house to smell like a bag of dirty diapers. Yuck! I will suggest the stripping and fit to them. Thank you for your input! He came in disposables today.
No way! How can they expect you do do cloth when they don't? That's ridiculous!

I put dirty the diapers in a plastic shopping bag and then into the wet bag. It helps a lot with the smell.
laundrymom 10:48 AM 02-10-2015
And yes, it is super annoying to know that I am dealing with this mularchy and they take the easy way at home. I know from experience if I whine about that they will just lie, and I guess I would rather know the truth and complain about it to my friends and husband, than be lied to!
What??? Sposies at home. Oh no. That's mean to you.
AmyKidsCo 08:40 PM 02-10-2015
Do you know what they're made of? I used to make/sell cloth diapers and IME natural materials like cotton/hemp/bamboo hold wetness better than things like microfiber. If the inner layers/pocket inserts are microfiber they may not be holding the wetness well enough. Also, there may not be enough layers of absorbency.

ITA that a good cloth diaper that fits well and is laundered correctly should't leak, but there's lots of variables that could effect things.
Snowmom 08:39 AM 02-11-2015
That's funny- mine do disposables at home too.
At first the mom told me that dcd refuses to deal with cloth, but mom preferred it. No biggie. Then dcm started dropping off in the morning and dcg was wearing disposables too.
Oh well. As long as I GET diapers, and I'M not doing the cleaning of said diapers- I don't care
Unregistered 09:26 AM 02-11-2015
Just my opinion, but if they do disposables at home and you are having continuous issues with the cloth diapers (for whatever reason), I would keep it simple and just say that I have chosen to only do disposables at daycare for sanitary reasons. They can provide them or pay $10 more a week and you provide them. If they are doing disposable at home, chances are they are not properly cleaning and maintaining the cloth diapers they provide for you and that could be causing the absorption to be compromised. If they are not willing to do it at home, then it must not be that important to them. I personally charge a higher fee for cloth diapering, so most parents don't do it, and I prefer it that way
Sugaree 10:07 AM 02-18-2015
We do cloth at home and disposables at daycare. I would LOVE it if my center would do cloth, but they are bound by Army regs.

I can say that the only time I've had a problem with cloth leaking was when he outgrew the absorbency of his newborn diapers and when the next set of diapers was new. I bought a set of AI2s with microfiber inserts. Supposedly the microfiber didn't need to be prepped. But they did. They really, really did. After they were prepped we haven't had a problem with them. I haven't had to strip them. This may have to do with the fact that I use a cloth diaper specific soap and have a washing machine dedicated to diaper laundry.
daycarediva 10:24 AM 02-18-2015
Fit, stripping, toss an extra pad in, use a plastic diaper cover.

He's 11 weeks old and this is their first baby? First time using cloth? Did she use fabric softener on them?

Also---LOL at disposable at home, cloth at daycare. The expense to up the size cloth diapers will far outweigh the cost it would be to just provide disposables for daycare. NOT getting that logic.
Leigh 11:23 AM 02-18-2015
Just my opinion, but if they do disposables at home and you are having continuous issues with the cloth diapers (for whatever reason), I would keep it simple and just say that I have chosen to only do disposables at daycare for sanitary reasons. They can provide them or pay $10 more a week and you provide them. If they are doing disposable at home, chances are they are not properly cleaning and maintaining the cloth diapers they provide for you and that could be causing the absorption to be compromised. If they are not willing to do it at home, then it must not be that important to them. I personally charge a higher fee for cloth diapering, so most parents don't do it, and I prefer it that way

Tags:cloth diapers
Reply Up