Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would Y'all Do?
Boymom 01:37 PM 11-17-2016
Dcb4 is all of a sudden having pee accidents. He's been accident free for almost 6 months, although I've had to pretty much tell him to go to the bathroom because he won't go on his own ugh. Im not sure why he's having accidents all of a sudden.

(Another dcb did the same thing a month ago. Accident after accident. I told dcm that he had to go back in pull-ups. Next day he was in underwear and I termed her at pickup.)

Dcb4 though is going to be gone all next week. Also, I gave them a notice and he will be gone by the end of the year.

So what should I do? Just make him wear a pull-up from now until he leaves my daycare? Do accident-free pull-ups for two weeks when he gets back from vacation next week? Let him come back tmrw in underwear and see how he does??? I've had to tell this dcd before that dcb had to go back in pull-ups (I think a year ago) and he wasn't too happy, so I can imagine he's not going to be too thrilled if his 4 year old has to go back in pull-ups. But I'm not too thrilled about the sanitation issue...
Unregistered 02:10 PM 11-17-2016
What does your policy say with toilet training? In the end it's your house and do what you must to keep it clean and for your sanity.

I have a dcb3 that dcm says is doing great at home with underwear and sends him in underwear. I allow it, but once he has an accident I put pull ups over his underwear and the parents are aware of my policy so they have no complaints. I explained at the beginning that it may be different between home and here because of how comfortable dcb feels using the toilet here. Dcb is on the shy side.
Ariana 05:02 PM 11-17-2016
If the parents do not want him in pullups let them know that every time he has an accident on your floor you will be calling for pickup. Then go into the sanity and safety reasons for why you cannot tolerate urine soaked floors. Or you can simply tell them you will not allow him into care without pull-ups for the above sanitation and safety reasons.

Potty trained kids, in my experience, do not pee in a pullup eventhough parents think pullups will make things worse or will hinder the potty training process. My own child who is 3 is still having poop accidents so I put her in a pullup every day. She has never peed in that pullup...only poop.
AmyKidsCo 05:25 PM 11-17-2016
I'd try to figure out why he's having the accidents, and in the meantime work with the parents to figure out how to keep your environment sanitary. Maybe give them the option of pull ups or plastic pants over the underwear?

I also had a 3 yr old wear a pantyliner the first week she was in panties. It seemed weird at first, then I thought it was brilliant. I can't believe some big company hasn't thought of making disposable pee pads for potty training!
e.j. 08:17 PM 11-17-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
I've had to tell this dcd before that dcb had to go back in pull-ups (I think a year ago) and he wasn't too happy, so I can imagine he's not going to be too thrilled if his 4 year old has to go back in pull-ups. But I'm not too thrilled about the sanitation issue...
I understand a parent's frustration when a kid regresses but it's not easy to clean and sanitize after each accident while caring for several kids. I don't know about you but I find that my kids tend to have accidents at the worst possible times - like when I'm busy trying to get lunch on the table, the baby is crying for her bottle, my kindergarten kid is walking in the door and the food lady is walking in right behind him. It's no fun! If dcb has had more than one accident, I'd request he wear pull-ups for the next week or two until he gets back on track. I'd rather deal with an unhappy dcd than pee all over my house.
Josiegirl 03:08 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I understand a parent's frustration when a kid regresses but it's not easy to clean and sanitize after each accident while caring for several kids. I don't know about you but I find that my kids tend to have accidents at the worst possible times - like when I'm busy trying to get lunch on the table, the baby is crying for her bottle, my kindergarten kid is walking in the door and the food lady is walking in right behind him. It's no fun! If dcb has had more than one accident, I'd request he wear pull-ups for the next week or two until he gets back on track. I'd rather deal with an unhappy dcd than pee all over my house.
What?? And ruin another day in paradise?? Perfect description of a typical dc day. Now we know where those Calgon Take Me Away commercials originated from.

How often is dcb having accidents? Is there a logical reason behind the regression, such as new sibling, a move, parents not getting along, etc.? Kids have accidents once in awhile but if it's more often, I'd look into possible reasons behind it and make sure he visits the bathroom more often, watch for signs of his need to go, things like that. I'd have a really hard time putting a 4 yo back in pull-ups if he's been successful for so long. I certainly understand the need for sanitary environments and lack of time for monitoring his every move but I think that could be a set-up for failure. Would he do well with an incentive chart? At most, I'd put plastic pants over to hold most of the leakage at bay.
JMO
Annalee 09:09 AM 11-18-2016
I have a dcg4 who was having accidents...I have posted about her before and the grandma babying her so much.....the grandma accused me of NOT letting her go potty...to which I told her "think about what you just said, do you actually think I enjoy cleaning up pee on MY FLOOR"....she immediately backed down....like I stated in another post, can't wait till this grandma enters school with this kid.
e.j. 11:23 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What?? And ruin another day in paradise??

Reply Up