Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dropping Son Off to Camp Wording
MichiganMom 03:39 AM 05-31-2018
I started a group home childcare 7-12 children back in December. Everything is going great. I am full, I have two full time helpers that are amazing, and we love our families.

I have an 8 year old and once school is out, he will be going to a camp all summer. I need to drive him there by 9:00 M-F. My husband will be able to pick him up. I need to let parents know that I will not be in the home from 8:45-9:15 throughout the summer. We are sure to be in ratio. I will be taking my other two children with me for drop off.

How would you word this. I need parents to sign an acknowledgment that I will be gone for that time. I don’t want to worry them, but they need to know if I will be out.
mamamanda 03:56 AM 05-31-2018
Are you transporting dcks during this time or leaving them with your assistants & just taking your own children?
storybookending 08:18 AM 05-31-2018
Do you need to say anything? If both of your assistants are full time and know the children and families well and you are within ratio does it matter?

“Dear Parents:
Starting June X, 2018 I will be off site from 8:45AM-9:15AM. Miss Sally and Miss Susie will be running the child care while I briefly step out to take my child to camp. I will not be transporting daycare children during this time. Camp runs from XX/XX/18-XX/XX/18.

Please sign below to acknowledge that you have read the above statement.

Thanks,
Provider”
Cat Herder 09:18 AM 05-31-2018
Is one of your assistants over 21(or whatever the required age for you to leave site is for your state)? If so, StoryBook's notice is great.
BrynleeJean 10:52 AM 05-31-2018
I agree with Storybookending's post.
keep it simple. looks good
MichiganMom 11:14 AM 05-31-2018
Both of my teachers are over 21, background checked, and CPR trained. I just thought I had to let parents know if I was leaving the home. No daycare children are being transported.

Thank you for the word to use!
284878 03:18 PM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by MichiganMom:
Both of my teachers are over 21, background checked, and CPR trained. I just thought I had to let parents know if I was leaving the home. No daycare children are being transported.

Thank you for the word to use!
Yes in MI you need to let the parents know and track when you are gone on a provider attendance sheet.
Plus there is a limit on how much time per year that you can leave an assistant in charge.
storybookending 05:51 PM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
Yes in MI you need to let the parents know and track when you are gone on a provider attendance sheet.
Plus there is a limit on how much time per year that you can leave an assistant in charge.
Wow I didn’t know there were rules on things like this, makes sense but still crazy to me!
Cat Herder 04:37 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Wow I didn’t know there were rules on things like this, makes sense but still crazy to me!
We have to (*recommended, but repercussions make it *required) call our licensor, here. It is to keep a person from subcontracting out their license.

Yes, it has been done.
storybookending 06:46 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
We have to (*recommended, but repercussions make it *required) call our licensor, here. It is to keep a person from subcontracting out their license.

Yes, it has been done.
Yeah we have to call (or email) our licensor too but requiring a note for parents to sign is a new requirement for me. I don’t use a sub often (2-3 times a year only) and I just verbally tell the parents. I’m actually using her for an hour on Tuesday and I had two parents tell me yesterday they don’t need to know things like that. I’m still going to tell them but my current group doesn’t care.

If we are off site for a “field trip” we are supposed to inform them as well.
284878 08:28 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Yeah we have to call (or email) our licensor too but requiring a note for parents to sign is a new requirement for me. I don’t use a sub often (2-3 times a year only) and I just verbally tell the parents. I’m actually using her for an hour on Tuesday and I had two parents tell me yesterday they don’t need to know things like that. I’m still going to tell them but my current group doesn’t care.

If we are off site for a “field trip” we are supposed to inform them as well.
We have to tell the parents verbally or in writing. OP is doing it in writing and having he parents sign as a paper trail so no parent could come back and say they didn't know and because she's doing it daily. If I was in her shoes I would do the same thing. Paper trails are important, they help prevent miscommunication and forgetfulness.
Tags:parenting big kids while running daycare
Reply Up