Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Own Children's Friends....
hawaiianscorpion 02:17 PM 06-28-2013
I plan on opening a legal, unlicensed home daycare here in Virginia. I am able to watch less than six to twelve children (exclusive of the provider's own children and any children who reside in the home).

That being said, my own children's friends who comes over every so often just to hang out DOES NOT count towards the amount of kids I am able to watch right? I'm thinking not because I am not providing care to them... although I am still keeping an eye on them since they are in my house so....???

Has anyone (neighbors, dcp, etc) caused you any problems because you had your children's friends in your house during your daycare hours? (I understand the issue for other adults coming in and out of the home, as a dcp I would be concerned) How did you handle the issue? I would really hate to limit my children's fun (safe) in our home due to the business of daycare.

Thanks!
Heidi 02:42 PM 06-28-2013
In WI, those children over 7 who are visiting do not count in our daycare numbers. In the cities and suburbs, licensing qualifies that with "as long as they can go home at any time". In the rural areas, they kind of give us a bit more leeway because we can't just send them home.

I would check with YOUR states' regs, because they are all different. For instance, in WI you can't care for more than 3 children under 7 without a license.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 06:19 PM 06-28-2013
Check your regs... in Ohio they had to be 13 or they counted in my numbers!
hawaiianscorpion 06:45 PM 06-28-2013
Family day home" means a child day program offered in the residence of the
provider or the home of any of the children in care for one through 12 children under the age of 13, exclusive of the provider's own children and any children who reside in the home, when at least one child receives care for compensation.

Interpretation of “family day home”:
A family day home serving six to 12 children, exclusive of the provider’s own children and any children who reside in the home, is required to be licensed.
A family day home caring for more than four children under the age of two, including the provider’s own children and any children who reside in the home, is required to be licensed or voluntarily registered. A family day home where the children in care are all grandchildren of the provider is not required to be licensed. If more than 12 children are in care, exclusive of the provider’s own children and any children who reside in the home, a child day center license is required.

B. When at least one child receives care for compensation, all children,
exclusive of the provider's own children and children who reside in the home, who are in the care and supervision of a provider, count in the licensed capacity.
Interpretation § 40 B: The home’s hours of operation or business hours are on the provider’s application for licensure and listed on the department’s public website. Anytime the provider cares for at least one child for compensation (whether during the stated business hours or not), all children except the provider’s own children and children who reside in the home are considered to be receiving care. If six or more children (except the provider’s own children and children who reside in the home) are receiving care outside the home’s business hours, the home is subject to the
requirements of these standards.

I did a bit more digging...I don't know why I couldn't find this the first few times but anyways.....correct me if I am wrong...as long as I am caring for 1 dck, I need to count my kids' friends as well. Ok...got it. But it sure makes summers a tad bit tricky when all of my kids are home and they want friends over.
mrsnj 06:57 PM 06-28-2013
Work is work. I do take sa summer kids here so my children always had friends but play dates are for after hours. I am not watching more children during work hrs. No neighborhood kids either. Maybe adopt that view? "James can come over for dinner or on Saturday when mommy isn't working"
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:46 AM 06-29-2013
and here in Ohio, I had to have paperwork on any kids that were here.. even to play. But I am licensed.
Reply Up