Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with addressing this pick up issue
childcaremom 09:09 AM 09-11-2015
I have a family that has been with me for a few months.

Originally contracted for 5:20. They were late the first day so I offered to move it to 5:30 to account for traffic.

Pick up times are all over the place. Often it's 5:30 right on the button.

Yesterday, 5:27. Casually mentioned that they stopped at walmart on the way home.

Seriously.

Do I take the extra time back? How would you address this? I obviously can't police them, and don't want to, but I don't want them thinking that this is why I allowed the extra pick up.

I am leaning towards telling them exactly that, that I made allowances for traffic, not for an everyday occurence and certainly not for shopping expeditions. That we can either revert back to the original time, where late fees will be charged if they are late or agree to come directly after work?
daycarediva 09:42 AM 09-11-2015
I would say something for sure!
rosieteddy 09:45 AM 09-11-2015
I had such a hard time with this issue .I hated when they shopped on the way home.I think you should just say nothing.The time for pickup is 5 :30 so if they are there by then great.I would definately charge a late fee the first time they are late no matter what the reason. If there is a big differance in your rate for the extra hour per week I would adjust the tuition when you feel its needed.I hope your late fee is hefty(LOL). It always bothered me when they brought the kids on their day off to ,but they need alone time.It is easier to get things done without kids.
childcaremom 10:00 AM 09-11-2015
Ah, it's as if there is a full moon parked over my house. All the issues this week are driving me batty.

I think I'm going to remind them that, while I offered the extension for traffic purposes, I did not do it so they can shop. To please abide by my request and that late fees will be strictly enforced going forward.

TGIF!!
daycare 10:39 AM 09-11-2015
this is exactly why I moved my payment structure to a graduating fee scale. I contracted Nannyde with her consulting.

I do it a little differently than Nan suggested, but the foundation of what she suggested.

drop off time starts at 8am

8am to 430 200
8am to 445-205
8am to 500-210

at 5:00, I took the fee from $5.00 for ever 15 min to $10

515- 220
530-250

I went from having 9 kids get picked up at 530 every day to 1 kid getting picked up at 530 on Tuesday.

I can show you how I did it.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:23 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

Originally contracted for 5:20. They were late the first day so I offered to move it to 5:30 to account for traffic.

Yesterday, 5:27. Casually mentioned that they stopped at walmart on the way home.

Seriously.

Do I take the extra time back? How would you address this? I obviously can't police them, and don't want to, but I don't want them thinking that this is why I allowed the extra pick up.

I am leaning towards telling them exactly that, that I made allowances for traffic, not for an everyday occurence and certainly not for shopping expeditions. That we can either revert back to the original time, where late fees will be charged if they are late or agree to come directly after work?
I would just say that you need to go back to the original time for personal reasons, so they need to pick up by 5:20. If they are going to be late, you will have to assess late fees. You could even throw in "Sorry for the inconvenience, but since you have been able to stop at the store on the way here in the past, I figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue". Smile, big eyes Honestly, you don't have to give them a reason. A simple, "you need to pick up at XX time. Thanks!" should suffice.
daycare 11:38 AM 09-11-2015
If you want to take it back say this.

I hate to have to do this, but after trying out the new extended pick up time for your family, I will need to move it back to the original pick up time of XXX.

I really wanted it to work out, but it's not working for me and my family. However, happy I could give it a try for you guys.

Moving forward, pick up time will be XXX starting XYZ date.

As always, any questions or concerns please talk with me.
childcaremom 12:04 PM 09-11-2015
Out of 58 pick ups, 13 have been after 5:20.

If I take it back.... do you think they would term?

I am really leaning towards taking it back b/c it irks me to no end.

I need a backbone.

I guess that's either 13 traffic snarls or 13 trips to walmart.
daycare 12:13 PM 09-11-2015
Out of 58 pick ups, 13 have been after 5:20.

If I take it back.... do you think they would term?

I am really leaning towards taking it back b/c it irks me to no end.

I need a backbone.

I guess that's either 13 traffic snarls or 13 trips to walmart.
I wouldn't worry about what they are doing, just be there or don't. We cant police what they are doing.

just make it worth your time.
childcaremom 01:55 AM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
this is exactly why I moved my payment structure to a graduating fee scale. I contracted Nannyde with her consulting.

I do it a little differently than Nan suggested, but the foundation of what she suggested.

drop off time starts at 8am

8am to 430 200
8am to 445-205
8am to 500-210

at 5:00, I took the fee from $5.00 for ever 15 min to $10

515- 220
530-250

I went from having 9 kids get picked up at 530 every day to 1 kid getting picked up at 530 on Tuesday.

I can show you how I did it.

Did you implement this with existing clients or just new ones?

If someone was contracted to 5, say, and was after that, then you still charged late fees, correct?

I really like this idea when I've seen it mentioned here before. I don't know if it would work for me, though, as my rates are already on the higher end and don't know how much higher they could go. And I don't want to lower them, either. So deciding my base rate would be tricky.
rosieteddy 07:21 AM 09-12-2015
I loved when clients all picked up at 5:30 .Everyday at 5 :15 I would get them ready to go coats ,shoes papers ect.We would sit on little chairs in the pront porch each parent came their child said hello got a sticker and went home.If we were outside I would wait in the drive way the kids held onto the stroller ,got in their carseat without fussing got a sticker and went home.So much better than multiple pick ups and having parents come in with siblings.
Laurel 04:38 PM 09-12-2015

Seriously.

If you moved the time to 5:30 as long as they don't come after 5:30 I don't see a problem. If they continually come after 5:30 then I do see a problem. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?

I used to have a 5:30 closing but one family came consistently a little later. Sometimes 5:35 and sometimes not until 5:45. Now that did bother me because it was late and late more times than on time. So I told them that I close promptly at 5:30 but was willing to work until 6:00 for an extra fee. I charged them $10 more a week I think. They weren't thrilled about it but paid it and got used to it. You can charge for 'overtime'.

It wouldn't matter to me what they are doing as long as they weren't coming past 5:30. Sorry, but it is only 10 minutes and I assume since you offered it they are paying for it.

Laurel
jgcp 06:40 PM 09-12-2015
nothing pisses me off more than late pick ups. I have a family that was doing it all the time, i came soooo close to telling them to not come back. The dad always did it on days i had to be somewhere by 6 too grrrrr. He would never text or call just show up 10 till ( i would call and text with no reply) i finally just told him if you cant be here by 530 find someone who can or just pick them up at the bus stop because ill be closed... he got the hint FINALLY!

You will feel so much better ( and they will know you mean business) if you change the time back. They sound like they will just walk all over you and im wayyy past that, it only took me two yrs haha
mommiebookworm 07:24 PM 09-12-2015
I termed a family with two dcg. I finally couldn't take one more late pickup. What killed me though, was that Dad would be home from work at 4 pm, then pick them up 20 minutes late and lie on the sign out sheets about what time he was here. When I realized he was lying on the sheets, I gave them a notice.
childcaremom 01:51 AM 09-13-2015
So.... I've had a chance to cool down

Yes, it's only 10 minutes and I did offer it to them to use at no extra charge. Mistake 1. But I did offer it to them as they were late due to traffic. I said:"Well if traffic is that bad at this time of day, I can change it to a 5:30 pick up so that it gives you some wiggle room." I expected them to be grateful and not abuse it. Mistake 2.

Did not expect them to be stopping at Walmart. I know I can't police them and don't want to.

The thing that irks me is that I get off work and immediately go to pick up my girls from care. I would not stop anywhere but go directly to them. They have a long day and I want to get them as quick as I can. All parents are not like me. I need to drill this into my head. And then again and again.

So while the extra 10 minutes obviously does not mean much to them, it sure does to me and my girls. So, in hindsight, I shouldn't have offered it as I should have realized the potential for it to be abused. Or I should have at least added an additional charge so that they would have understood the need to get here quickly.

This family is usually my last one here. Often picking up at 5:30. Or a minute past. I've let it slide (Mistake 3 and one I've made before ) and won't any longer.

And because these things tend to fester in my mind, I am going to send a quick email and mention it to them that while the extension was offered with good intentions and meant to be used for traffic delays, that I don't expect them to abuse my generosity, and that late fees will be strictly enforced moving forward starting at 5:30.

I just need the backbone to send it now I really need to develop the mindset that I can speak up to parents, politely and professionally, and do not need to be afraid that they will be mad, upset, term, or whatever. I think I have worked too long in the service industry where the mindset was that the customer is always right. Yes, there is a customer service aspect to this job but I do not need to be afraid to assert my policies and beliefs.
rosieteddy 07:33 AM 09-13-2015
I hated the face to face "talks".I to felt that the client was right.I sent notes or posted at front door (chicken ,I know)
Unregistered 08:38 AM 09-13-2015
I once did what you did for one of my families. Dcd job hours suddenly changed taking him out of town most of the week so dcm was the one who had to drop off and pick up. Dcm asked if it would be ok if once in a while she was a couple minutes late, but she would try to leave work early to make pick up time. I agreed to help them out because I knew they had no family in town to help them out and dcm work place was 5-10 minutes away depending on traffic. Well the same thing happened as your experience coming late even on days off. One day they had out of town visitors and were coming back late from sightseeing with them and ran into traffic. They were 20 minutes late and I charged them. I was so upset. After that I changed my closing hours and told all families would be charged late fees after their contracted times and I understand if they need to find another provider that fits their needs. Once I did that suddenly they had a lot of "friends" that could pick up on time. Once I realized my mistake of being too nice and too friendly, I changed and feel better and less stress.

You just need to put your foot down. I would go back to their contracted 5:20 pick up and charge your late fees after that. I wrote out a letter stating my new hours and late fees. If they ask me face to face I just said it was to be fair to everyone and I understand if they need to find someone else that works with the hours they need. Stop feeling like you owe them something because like others have said if they find something better they will leave in a heartbeat not even thanking you for all you did for them, and that is exactly what my family did. Even when they left they were still asking for things. I am so happy they are gone,
mommyneedsadayoff 08:40 AM 09-13-2015
So.... I've had a chance to cool down

Yes, it's only 10 minutes and I did offer it to them to use at no extra charge. Mistake 1. But I did offer it to them as they were late due to traffic. I said:"Well if traffic is that bad at this time of day, I can change it to a 5:30 pick up so that it gives you some wiggle room." I expected them to be grateful and not abuse it. Mistake 2.

Did not expect them to be stopping at Walmart. I know I can't police them and don't want to.

The thing that irks me is that I get off work and immediately go to pick up my girls from care. I would not stop anywhere but go directly to them. They have a long day and I want to get them as quick as I can. All parents are not like me. I need to drill this into my head. And then again and again.

So while the extra 10 minutes obviously does not mean much to them, it sure does to me and my girls. So, in hindsight, I shouldn't have offered it as I should have realized the potential for it to be abused. Or I should have at least added an additional charge so that they would have understood the need to get here quickly.

This family is usually my last one here. Often picking up at 5:30. Or a minute past. I've let it slide (Mistake 3 and one I've made before ) and won't any longer.

And because these things tend to fester in my mind, I am going to send a quick email and mention it to them that while the extension was offered with good intentions and meant to be used for traffic delays, that I don't expect them to abuse my generosity, and that late fees will be strictly enforced moving forward starting at 5:30.

I just need the backbone to send it now I really need to develop the mindset that I can speak up to parents, politely and professionally, and do not need to be afraid that they will be mad, upset, term, or whatever. I think I have worked too long in the service industry where the mindset was that the customer is always right. Yes, there is a customer service aspect to this job but I do not need to be afraid to assert my policies and beliefs.
It always stinks to have to confront parents, especially since it would be nice if they would just follow the rules and be more considerate of your time. I wouldn't be too upset with this issue and I think if you keep it simple and explain the situation with your girls, they will probably not make a big deal of it. If you want them to pick up at 5:20, then tell them.

"I just wanted to give you a heads up that starting next week, I will need to go back to our original contract hours of 5:20. Even though it is only a ten minute difference, this arrangement is setting me behind to pick up my own girls and has led to issues for me, so I can no longer accommodate the new pick up time. I will give you a new copy of the contract on Monday ad beginning XX date, dck will need to be picked up by 5:20, with $1 per minute late fees assessed if you are late to pick up." or whatever your late fees are, but the point is to just say that you tried this new situation, it didn't work for you, and now you are going back to the original plan. They can take it or leave it, but I imagine they can get there by 5:20 if they try, since that is what they signed up for in the first place. Don't feel bad...do what is best for you and your girls!
Reply Up