Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can She Get Her License Again?
Unregistered 08:20 AM 04-14-2013
I don't know if this is in the proper section, but I really need help. I'm asking on Y!A but figured I could ask on here too.

When I was young my mom had her home daycare license. However, she made a few mistakes and used cocaine. When she was caught by the police, they took away her license and she went to rehab. After she got out, she ran her daycare unlicensed, but all of the parents that sent her kids knew about everything that happened. According to my mom, they said she could get her license back if she went to some special kind of rehab. She went to a rehab where she lived there for quite sometime, but according to her, it wasn't the one that would get her, her license back. However, she HAS been clean for nearly 13 years. She stopped doing the daycare a little after rehab due to low attendance and my dad needed her help at his work. However, now we're having financial troubles so we've been in talk for both my mother and I to get daycare licenses so we can bring in more money. She's really worried since she didn't go to the exact rehab they specified she won't be able to get it back, even though she's worked at a church daycare and she has been cleaned for almost 13 years. She has people that would give her references and she's just really nervous. She says she'd be willing to take a drug test, but she also said she doesn't think they do drug tests. Do you think she'll be able to? I have no criminal record or anything like that so it's no worry for me, it's just her and ideally I'd be working for her, not vise versa.
blandino 10:31 AM 04-14-2013
I don't know about the state you live in, but We have to have a criminal background check done. If anything related to the cocoa in posession was to show up, that might be a deal breaker. However, our state allows us to request a waiver for special circumstances - so that might apply in her situation.
daycarediva 12:47 PM 04-14-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I don't know about the state you live in, but We have to have a criminal background check done. If anything related to the cocoa in posession was to show up, that might be a deal breaker. However, our state allows us to request a waiver for special circumstances - so that might apply in her situation.
Agreed. Drug testing would mean squat, cocaine is typically out of your system in 24 hours.

To be honest- I don't think your Mom should get her license back. She was endangering children operating while using illegal narcotics.
Cradle2crayons 01:13 PM 04-14-2013
Why not have her go and get a copy of her background check and see what's there? That's where I would start
Brooksie 08:05 AM 04-15-2013
My state doesn't drug test and as long as there aren't criminal charges or suspicious of use around the kids apparently its not their jurisdiction. But we do need a criminal background check and a situation like that would be flagged for sure. I would have her call your local licensing rep and see what they say. Since it was so long ago they may be able to work with her.
Starburst 07:54 PM 04-15-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

To be honest- I don't think your Mom should get her license back. She was endangering children operating while using illegal narcotics.
I kinda agree. Even though I am sure she is clean now, if she was caught and it was during daycare hours (not sure if it was or not) just having it in the house (even if it wasn't in use) is a danger to children because a child could have found it tried to taste it and could have died, also if you were a child at the time living in the home while she was using it could also effect her chances. IK in my state except for minor traffic violations or parking tickets pretty much anything else on someone's record can affect them, even if they think it is sponged from their records. One of my CD teachers talked about one girl in the nursing program (nursing majors have to take CD classes) who years prior would have just gotten a ticket for running a red light but she got mad and mouthed off to the cop and swore at him so not only was the ticket on her background check but apparently years later she found out so was a charge of verbally assaulting an officer- she thought it was off her record but it was still there because it was something involving another human. So she now cannot work in any profession that involves direct contact with the public or working with kids, she had to drop out of the nursing program. So sometimes even if it is lifted from someone's record it could still effect them.
Brooksie 05:05 AM 04-16-2013
Was it during daycare hours? I didn't realize that and kind of agree, that's very serious child endangerment.
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 04-16-2013
OP NEVER said whether or not her mom was using or caught using DURING daycare hours. She only said that when she was caught by the police, it resulted in her losing her license. (the same thing would happen here in my state even if I was caught doing something illegal on the weekend, after hours.)

She also stated her mother has been clean for 13 years.

If I were this mom, I would simply go talk to the licensor for your area and find out what things under what condition exclude someone from having a child care license.
Starburst 08:52 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Was it during daycare hours? I didn't realize that and kind of agree, that's very serious child endangerment.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OP NEVER said whether or not her mom was using or caught using DURING daycare hours. She only said that when she was caught by the police, it resulted in her losing her license. (the same thing would happen here in my state even if I was caught doing something illegal on the weekend, after hours.)
I never said for a fact that it was during daycare hours because OP didn't give enough information. I was saying that if it was during daycare hours or if it was found in her house even after hours (possession) that it could effect her chances of getting it back because they could see that as child endangerment by just having it in the home, especially if OP was a child living in the home at the time. Also some things are hard to get off your record even if it has been several years.
Reply Up