Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Peeing on the Floor
mamamanda 10:24 AM 07-07-2015
I keep finding pee on the floor around the base of the toilet & on the wall directly beside the toilet. I know it is 2 of my dcbs ages 3 & 4. I don't believe they are doing it intentionally, but just not aiming when they stand to pee. My bathroom smells like urine every time I walk in there & I wipe everything down with Clorox wipes at least once a day, but they consistently pee outside the toilet. Today I scrubbed everything I could think of in there, but within 20 minutes the urine smell was back. I'm thinking its in the paint where they keep spraying the wall. I assume I will have to repaint there, but how would you handle the situation? I've considered telling them they have to sit to pee, but I feel like that might really mess with their confidence. TMI, but I've noticed they neither one hold it to point, but just lean over the potty when they pee which is probably why it sprays everywhere. I don't really know how to address it though as it seems daddy should be the one teaching them that. What would you do?
childcaremom 10:31 AM 07-07-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I keep finding pee on the floor around the base of the toilet & on the wall directly beside the toilet. I know it is 2 of my dcbs ages 3 & 4. I don't believe they are doing it intentionally, but just not aiming when they stand to pee. My bathroom smells like urine every time I walk in there & I wipe everything down with Clorox wipes at least once a day, but they consistently pee outside the toilet. Today I scrubbed everything I could think of in there, but within 20 minutes the urine smell was back. I'm thinking its in the paint where they keep spraying the wall. I assume I will have to repaint there, but how would you handle the situation? I've considered telling them they have to sit to pee, but I feel like that might really mess with their confidence. TMI, but I've noticed they neither one hold it to point, but just lean over the potty when they pee which is probably why it sprays everywhere. I don't really know how to address it though as it seems daddy should be the one teaching them that. What would you do?
Make them sit.

I did this with my own ds and do it with the dcb I have here now. Otherwise I need to go in when he is finished and clean up. Until he can aim, he sits.
Heidi 11:24 AM 07-07-2015
My boys all sat until the got to kindy and realized the other boys didn't. Well, except the youngest, because we moved out of the city and my new DH taught him to "pee on a tree". He still sat in the house, though.
TXhomedaycare 11:25 AM 07-07-2015
I have 6 full time boys and only 1 is in diapers. I use to have the same problem. I don't make them sit. I give them 2 cheerios or fruit loops to put in the toilet and they aim. Problem solved instantly. I don't do it all the time anymore but now they all hold themselves and make a better effort. The pee smell is terrible and hard to get rid of. I put bleach in a spray bottle or use all purpose cleaner and stay every area and crack where pee can get.
Leigh 11:47 AM 07-07-2015
Do you have any HVAC vents that they could be peeing in? Little boys are notorious for finding new places to pee? When you clean a hard, non-porous surface and the smell doesn't go away, I'd start looking at other places. (Could it be getting under baseboards?).
Controlled Chaos 11:58 AM 07-07-2015
I have so many boys! Agh! Yep, I make some sit here. The cheerio game is a good idea. I had one I made sit backwards for a while, it was the only way he didn't spray everywhere. His dad thought is was weird I made him sit like that, so he worked with dcb a lot at home and now dcb is allowed to stand here We say "point it down" so much my 20m DD has started saying "down penis!" when she sits on the little potty

And clorox wipes. A million allowances of clorox wipes.
Controlled Chaos 11:59 AM 07-07-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Do you have any HVAC vents that they could be peeing in? Little boys are notorious for finding new places to pee? When you clean a hard, non-porous surface and the smell doesn't go away, I'd start looking at other places. (Could it be getting under baseboards?).

This! Its amazing where the pee ends up even with supervision! Anytime my DD is naked (on a weekend) I swear she heads right for an AC vent to pee. That kid...
mamamanda 05:15 AM 07-08-2015
I'm loving the cheerios idea and I'm grossed out, but thinking I should check the vent now. Thanks for the ideas!
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I'd find out which one it is (or both) and then like anything they have not yet mastered, accompany them to the bathroom and guide them in the process until they've mastered it.

"Johnny, pay attention so that your pee goes into the toilet. If necessary you'll have to hold your penis and aim better."

~sounds funny...but it's really no different than guiding a child in mastering any other skill.

Make sure the toilet is not too tall for them, provide a stool if necessary.

Once you have "taught" Johnny how to pee IN the toilet and you are satisfied that he knows what to do, you will not have to accompany him into the bathroom any longer.

I'd also mention it to the parents too so they can do their part at home too.
daycarediva 09:26 AM 07-08-2015
I have mine sit.

I tried to teach them, and it only worked when I was standing in the bathroom. The minute I thought they had it, they went right back to pee everywhere. When I remodeled the daycare bathroom, we had to replace the plywood subflooring, it reeked of urine.
Unregistered 05:09 PM 11-15-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I have so many boys! Agh! Yep, I make some sit here. The cheerio game is a good idea. I had one I made sit backwards for a while, it was the only way he didn't spray everywhere. His dad thought is was weird I made him sit like that, so he worked with dcb a lot at home and now dcb is allowed to stand here We say "point it down" so much my 20m DD has started saying "down penis!" when she sits on the little potty

And clorox wipes. A million allowances of clorox wipes.
Little different than young animals and even harder to train.
laundrymom 12:08 PM 11-16-2015
Every child here sits to potty. Girls knees front. Boys knees back. Every single time. And no one goes alone. Door stays open and I stand close enough to see both the playroom and the potty.
Every time.
NoMoreJuice! 04:40 PM 11-16-2015
I don't let kids use the restroom unsupervised until they are at least 4, and then depending on their experience level. I have a 4 year old that made me lol so hard earlier this fall...his dad was working on "aiming" at home so they are allowing him to stand. He came to daycare one day with a new saying when lifting the toilet seat: "Lid up for the ladies!" I almost died laughing!
Crazy8 07:21 PM 11-16-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Every child here sits to potty. Girls knees front. Boys knees back. Every single time. And no one goes alone. Door stays open and I stand close enough to see both the playroom and the potty.
Every time.
same here - I would not be letting a 3 yr old go to the bathroom by themselves. I had an almost 5 yr old who I started to let go alone but that was after a year of me taking him and being confident that he wouldn't make a mess.

As for the smell, is there caulk around the base of your toilet? If the pee gets trapped under there the smell will keep coming back. You may have to pull it up, clean and then recaulk if its bad, but for starters I would put some bleach soaked paper towels all around the base and let sit for a while then scrub with a small brush.
NeedaVaca 04:05 AM 11-17-2015
Try Odoban! I love that product!
Jack Sprat 11:09 AM 11-17-2015
DH and I had this discussion this weekend. He says it's lack of attention to what they are doing and that when a boy holds it for so long their penis becomes very sensitive and it can be difficult to remove it from the underwear or pull underwear down without peeing all over. Who knew? Not me. But, this does help me understand why I have this issue as well. I say basically the same thing as BC.."Hold your penis and aim it in the water" I think all of them do fairly well.
Ariana 11:14 AM 11-17-2015
I have heard of the cheerio trick and the blue dye trick where the blue dye mixed with yellow pee will turn it green. There are toilet pucks you can get that make the water blue so that might be something...and your toilet stays clean!

I think supervision is key though!
Play Care 03:40 PM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have heard of the cheerio trick and the blue dye trick where the blue dye mixed with yellow pee will turn it green. There are toilet pucks you can get that make the water blue so that might be something...and your toilet stays clean!

I think supervision is key though!
Honestly some of my worst bathroom offenders are my SA kids and I'm not going in the bathroom with them
kendallina 04:50 PM 11-17-2015
Whenever I have this problem I bring the possible offenders into the bathroom and talk to them about it. Maybe they are not doing it on purpose, but they ARE aware if they've done it. Usually the guilt is enough to make it better. I follow up by having a few days of very closely supervised bathroom trips.
Tags:pee, peeing - on the floor, urine
Reply Up