Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Get out of my house now
Thriftylady 02:51 PM 04-20-2015
So new DCM comes to pick up DCG and I didn't have any other kids at the time because she got off work early and my SA kids were not here yet. 25 minutes she sat here. I tried not to talk to much so we looked at each other until I finally said "Well I need to make snack it is almost snack time and the others will be here soon".

I know I am not the only one who has had this issue, but we can't spend that kind of time with each parent. How do I nip this on the second day tomorrow?
Gemma 03:07 PM 04-20-2015
I usually act really busy so parents don't stick around...well all but one that just doesn't get it cause she thinks we're "friends", she's the last pick up of the day and she'd go on talking for hours, if I didn't pretend I have somewhere to go
grandmom 03:09 PM 04-20-2015
Have her child ready to go. Meet her at the door. See you tomorrow sweetie!

If you don't have any other kids tomorrow, have your keys in your hand and drive around the block and then come home. If she comes early and your keys aren't in your hand, say: oh, I'm so glad you came early. I wanted to run to (Starbucks) before the other kids got here. Then leave.

You do need to nip this, or it will be every day.
BabyMonkeys 03:12 PM 04-20-2015
I would meet her at the door with her daughter and then talk to the little girl telling her bye bye! I'll see you tomorrow! I know mommy missed you all day! You will have to tell her all about your day. Then smile and close the door.
Thriftylady 03:22 PM 04-20-2015
I would love to have DCG ready, but mom could work until 7PM. She has a temp job where she is supposed to get 30 hours a week, but it isn't promised. So she could be there till 7 but maybe not. Today she was here at 3:30. So unless I am constantly looking out the window, I won't know she is here. Today I was dealing with the guy that works for my landlord as he was looking at my water leak and DD had DCG and had changed her and such, so she was mostly ready to go, but not jacket on etc.

The great news is that mom contracted for up to 35 hours a week, dad doesn't drop off until 1 PM, and my contract is regardless of attendance, so I am getting paid decent for this lil one.
permanentvacation 03:40 PM 04-20-2015
I removed all of the adult furniture from the daycare room except my chair, which I make sure to sit in when the parents arrive! I have found that if they can't comfortably 'pop a squat', they don't hang around long.
Thriftylady 03:42 PM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I removed all of the adult furniture from the daycare room except my chair, which I make sure to sit in when the parents arrive! I have found that if they can't comfortably 'pop a squat', they don't hang around long.
My house is to small for that or I would. But she stayed standing anyway. Half the time we were not even talking lol I was just looking at her like .
daycare 03:46 PM 04-20-2015
no need to make anything up. just tell her ok see you tomorrow and walk away.

If they linger say

Oh you guys are still here, sorry i am prepping for the other kids, can you give me a call later if you need to talk, I am super busy at the moment. Have a great night, see you tomorrow and walk on.

If you don't call them out, they will just keep staying around. I am finding that a lot of people needs to have things completely spelled out.
Martha Stewart 06:12 AM 04-21-2015
I've had a dad sit down, make calls, generally hang out. I'm like - wth dude?? I started jumping up the minute i saw his car approach my driveway, toss the kid's coat on and almost shove him out the door.
Thriftylady 06:17 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Martha Stewart:
I've had a dad sit down, make calls, generally hang out. I'm like - wth dude?? I started jumping up the minute i saw his car approach my driveway, toss the kid's coat on and almost shove him out the door.
I will watch for her as much as possible. I am hoping we can get into a routine quickly.
Sugar Magnolia 06:54 AM 04-21-2015
On a first day.....I'd kind of expect some lingering. Mom probably looking for some feedback? She's not familiar with your procedures yet....hard to follow expectations when you don't know what's expected, kwim? Some gentle nudging should do the trick. Best wishes.
Crazy8 07:03 AM 04-21-2015
I was bad at this too but the minute they walk in I put child's shoes/jacket on, all while greeting parent, giving a tiny snippet of the child's day and then hand them their bag and daily report off the wall and say "have a great night, see you tomorrow". Body language is everything. Most people will pick up on that (some don't of course!) and by talking a bit while putting shoes/jacket on parent feels like they got a little info from you. As a parent I get it, child just spent 8 hours somewhere - I'd want a little idea of how they were all day - my info is usually very general, but it eases parents mind a bit. I know some do the "bye bye" real quick thing, I didn't feel that suited my personality and I don't think the parents appreciated it. I want to be friendly but in 2-3 minutes, not 20-30 minutes, LOL!!!
Thriftylady 07:23 AM 04-21-2015
I always give a little info about the day. But she was asking so many questions like what time did her dad feed her before drop off? Did her dad bring X? I dunno I just thought 25 minutes was extreme.
Little Learners 11:39 AM 04-21-2015
I don't allow it, and I to only have one chair in the room where the parents drop off so that has helped. I have the children ready, and I don't mind talking for 5 minutes, but then if they linger I tell them that I have to watch the other kids, so I will see them tomorrow. I'm nice but blunt so it's not a option. Not only that, I tell parents in the interview that I don't have adults around the children, other then my family.

I try and weed them out in the interview. The last time I had interviews, one called a week later and asked if they could come and "observe". I nicely explained that it was one interview, and a deposit to hold the space, but on the first week they were welcome to stay 5-10 minutes to meet the other children and say goodbye. Another lady asked nosy questions about my family, and said she should meet them, lol. In response I told her I was the only one that watches the children.

I would do those things, and if she refuses to follow your rules then like anything you should terminate. I only had one I had to do that to, but she refused to follow many normal daycare rules. The next provider terminated her to because I knew her.
hope 12:01 PM 04-21-2015
Can you ask her to text you when she is on her way? You can explain how you need to keep to a schedule so it would be best if you could have dcb ready to go for her when she arrives.
Crazy8 12:22 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I always give a little info about the day. But she was asking so many questions like what time did her dad feed her before drop off? Did her dad bring X? I dunno I just thought 25 minutes was extreme.
oh I totally agree, was just explaining how I do it to give them the "hint" to leave. I would probably cut mom some slack because it was the first day but totally understand not wanting it to become a habit! Just be short and sweet and I find literally handing child over to them with a "have a great night" helps. Heck, I even hold the door open for some of them, LOL!
crazydaycarelady 12:49 PM 04-21-2015
I have a good-bye routine I do each day with the kids. It is a high five and then a knucks and we say good-bye. If the parents don't "get it" I say something like "Hey so and so, do you think you could open the door for mommy?" Or "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." ONce we have already said good-bye there is no reason to stick around. It works for drop-off too: "So and so did you give mommy a high five and say goodbye?

For the ones who ask a lot of questions (like a baby's parents) I have it written out on an Infant Note.
Thriftylady 01:27 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have a good-bye routine I do each day with the kids. It is a high five and then a knucks and we say good-bye. If the parents don't "get it" I say something like "Hey so and so, do you think you could open the door for mommy?" Or "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." ONce we have already said good-bye there is no reason to stick around. It works for drop-off too: "So and so did you give mommy a high five and say goodbye?

For the ones who ask a lot of questions (like a baby's parents) I have it written out on an Infant Note.
I do the daily note the first two weeks for ALL new kids. Crazy part is yesterday mom wouldn't even take it from me, I had to put it in the bag.
Stephnrich 06:23 AM 04-22-2015
I have the same set up and had a mom that would just sit Criss cross on the ground for upwards of 20 minutes. Finally I put it in the newsletter about 5 minute or less drop off/pick ups, and that worked for me. I have a hard time being confrontational so I was glad that did it!
midaycare 06:45 AM 04-22-2015
This. I don't even have a chair for me, because parents will sit in "my" chair if I'm not in it. It also means no comfortable seating for me, but I survive.

Don't underestimate a dcm or dcd's willingness to sit on the floor, though. It happens more than you would think.
lilcupcakes09 07:34 AM 04-22-2015
Oh my gosh I had a mom that would come in every morning and sit right down on my couch.....and drag her good bye out for 10 mins most days!! It would set me crazy! Then when she finally got up to leave her 6 year old would jump up and run after here for more hugs or telling her don't leave. I would say "tell mom to have a good day at work", or "tell mom you will see her later"....finally she stopped doing it!
crazydaycarelady 08:21 AM 04-22-2015
I have had to tell parents before that pick-ups and drop-offs need to be limited to 10 minutes.
Thriftylady 08:32 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have had to tell parents before that pick-ups and drop-offs need to be limited to 10 minutes.
I may try that one! But, have you ever had to set a timer? LOL.
Thriftylady 11:07 AM 04-22-2015
I just ordered antiickypoo. I hate to say the pet smells are worse than I want to admit.
DaisyMamma 11:53 AM 04-28-2015
Not that it helps but my policy does state that pickups are 5 minutes or less.
I have a driveway bell. It goes off when n someone pulls in. Then you could get the coat ready or shoes, etc.
http://www.gadgetshack.com/all-categ...-slxoCI1nw_wcB
Thriftylady 11:55 AM 04-28-2015
Um my last post belonged on another thread lol wonder how that happened. I now have a note on the door saying drop offs and pickups must be limited to five minutes, more than that and they need to request a conference. Yesterday was shorter, hopefully it will continue to improve.
Tags:lingering parents
Reply Up