Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Separate Contract for State Assistance?
KristinsHomeCC 09:51 AM 08-03-2016
Hola amigos!

I am taking all the final steps into becoming partnered with the assistance program in my state (in FL it's called E.L.C. - Early Learning Coalition). It is a huge pain but it'll help me with a huge market of children (9 month waiting list, over 900 kids on waiting list at any time).

In fact, one of my daycare children just got accepted into it and she's been on the waiting list since December of last year, so it is perfect timing to start accepting it. It'll save her $500 a month and she pays me $600 - HUGE deal to a single mom!

So there are some strict rules regarding attendance, sick policies, holidays etc. They will only pay for 3 absent days per month - Anymore than that they need a doctors note and will pay for 2 extra days with doctors note. They pay all federal holidays. I'm sure it's all similar to other states program. I am wondering if any of you who accept the state assistance have a seperate contract for those who are on it.

For example, I would receive S.A. on Thursday- Thanksgiving. My child care is closed Wed, Thurs & Friday of Thanksgiving week. I would need to specify to the parents that they were responsible for paying me full price Wed & Friday in writing. I guess I could also just have a set handbook and then have either the private pay section or the S.A. section switched out as needed.

Idk, just want to hear thoughts and what others do for this
Annalee 09:58 AM 08-03-2016
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
Hola amigos!

I am taking all the final steps into becoming partnered with the assistance program in my state (in FL it's called E.L.C. - Early Learning Coalition). It is a huge pain but it'll help me with a huge market of children (9 month waiting list, over 900 kids on waiting list at any time).

In fact, one of my daycare children just got accepted into it and she's been on the waiting list since December of last year, so it is perfect timing to start accepting it. It'll save her $500 a month and she pays me $600 - HUGE deal to a single mom!

So there are some strict rules regarding attendance, sick policies, holidays etc. They will only pay for 3 absent days per month - Anymore than that they need a doctors note and will pay for 2 extra days with doctors note. They pay all federal holidays. I'm sure it's all similar to other states program. I am wondering if any of you who accept the state assistance have a seperate contract for those who are on it.

For example, I would receive S.A. on Thursday- Thanksgiving. My child care is closed Wed, Thurs & Friday of Thanksgiving week. I would need to specify to the parents that they were responsible for paying me full price Wed & Friday in writing. I guess I could also just have a set handbook and then have either the private pay section or the S.A. section switched out as needed.

I do not have state-assisted families at this time and prefer not to ever, but in the past, I made sure they understood, they were responsible for anything the state did not pay which was all my vacations/closings with the exceptions of federal holidays. It is written in my contract as well! I had an audit from my state program.....while it ended OK, the local office did not support the way I "charge"......so right now, I avoid clients on state assistance. Good luck to you
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 08-03-2016
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
Hola amigos!

I accept my state's assistance but the families using it sign the same contract as everyone else. I do however, provide a separate agreement sheet they must sign and agree to because MN state assistance does not pay the full amount that I charge.

I will PM you the sheet I use for this. Maybe you can edit/tweek it to fit your needs.
Leigh 12:22 PM 08-03-2016
I must charge all families the same rate, and use the same contract for all. In the payment section of my contract/handbook (it is all one document), I do have parents sign a statement that they understand that, regardless of whether they use assistance, that they are ultimately responsible for payment, and that anything not paid by assistance must be paid by them, and on time.

Assistance here will not pay for holidays or closures (if I were open on Christmas day, I still could not be paid by assistance or the food program). They will pay for 4 absences a month, and that's it. I have a family whose assistance award covers 100% of the hours their kids are scheduled to be in care, but they pay $300+ out of pocket per month because their kids are medically fragile and often hospitalized or attending doctor's appointments.
grandmom 03:01 PM 08-03-2016
Check with your program first. They may not allow you to charge for your closure days. I can't.
Reply Up