Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Sickness?
DCMomOf3 11:02 AM 10-28-2010
How sick do you have to be before you will close?
BentleysBands 11:07 AM 10-28-2010
when i cant move LOL...or have a kidney stone
safechner 11:08 AM 10-28-2010
I have been doing daycare for 9 years mark. I do get sick once or twice a year so I never closed for 9 years.
momma2girls 11:13 AM 10-28-2010
I have never closed to my sickness in over 7 yrs. now. I did have the H1N1 last yr. but it all happened on weekend, so I was saved!!
kidkair 11:15 AM 10-28-2010
I close when I have a fever, diarrhea, or am throwing up. I expect parents to not bring their kids with those conditions so I close when I have them. I close the following day as well so that I'm abiding by the 24 hours rule as well. I've only had to close twice for sickness and all my parents were very understanding and checked up on me to make sure I was feeling well enough to be open again before bringing their kids.
marniewon 11:20 AM 10-28-2010
I go by the same requirements that I demand of my dcp's. If my fever is over 100, if I am not well enough to participate in activities (lol), etc. I figure if I demand the parents keep kids home if they have a fever over 100, I should follow the same rule - as I can just as easily pass what I have to the kids as they can to each other.

Last month, after passing a nasty cold/flu around for weeks, I finally came down with it. I braved it out for the most part, but one day my temp went up to almost 100. I told parents at pickup that I wasn't closing, but that I didn't feel well at all, to let them make the decision whether to bring the kids the next day. As the evening wore on, my temp went higher and I felt sicker, so I contacted the parents to let them know that I was indeed closing the next day. Luckily I had given them a heads-up so they weren't scrambling at the last minute. I'm glad I did take off, and would do it again under the circumstances. I really did not want to keep that illness going around the dc for another few weeks, and taking that day off helped immensely.
Childminder 11:44 AM 10-28-2010
I've closed twice since 1998. I rarely do get ill, (knock on wood) and both times were because of stomach flu.
DanceMom 12:16 PM 10-28-2010
I think I have closed like once for my own illness - I never get too sick only with horrible colds.

If I did get sick I would close for anything like a high fever, strep, bronchitis, vomitting...pretty much the same as my sick policy for the dck's.
SilverSabre25 12:21 PM 10-28-2010
I'm lucky--with my husband's schedule he would only have to take off a half a day of work in order to be home for the whole daycare day. So, if I'm sick enough that I can't provide care, he stays home and does it. This has happened once so far (food poisoning).

In the event we were both miserable and too sick to work, we would close.
AmandasFCC 01:05 PM 10-28-2010
I close if I can't function. In March I worked sick for 3 days then finally on the night of the 3rd day I was laying on the couch shivering with my first fever in almost almost 20 years and decided to close for the rest of the week. Turned out I had bronchitis, a sinus infection and an ear infection all at once. No wonder I wanted to die
Crystal 01:19 PM 10-28-2010
I'd have to be so sick I couldn't walk. The only times I have closed in over 13 years is when I was hospitalized for Meningitis and when I was in a car accident.
TGT09 01:26 PM 10-28-2010
I had two bouts of vomiting in the first 9 months of opening and I closed for both. When I vomit, I'm pretty useless and can't imagine allowing someone else's child around me. I also closed once for an eye issue (both cornea's are eroding away)....I can't see and it feels like there is a knife twisting on my eyeball so yeah, I closed. I don't feel guilty for any of those nor should I have to.
SandeeAR 02:13 PM 10-28-2010
Unfortunately, 3 weeks after opening in January, I came down with H1N1. I had to close for two days and the weekend. The 18 mo. I had that day, got it and was out the next week for a few days, she then passed it to her Dad!

Only other time I closed was for a severe stomach bug that was going around with a high fever. I called the girls parents, told them she is already exposed, by then, my DH was home and could watch her. They chose to let her stay. I had to close the next day. She managed not to get it.

I have GERD, so if I closed each time I had vomiting or diarrhea, I would close each week !
momofboys 06:00 AM 10-29-2010
I have only closed when my father passed away (2 days) & also 1 day when we had a lice outbreak.
Live and Learn 08:30 AM 10-29-2010
I have only closed one day in 6 years for my own illness. I had a fever. for whatever reason I don't get sick very often. Having said that I have felt just crummy all week no fever but I have stayed open. Thank goodness it is Friday!
BentleysBands 08:39 AM 10-29-2010
WOW wtg guys!!!
DancingQueen 10:08 AM 10-29-2010
2 sick days this year (my first year since I re-opened)
Once when my back went out and one when I couldn't take my head away from the toiled
Tags:sick, sick provider children
Reply Up