Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's the little things.....
childcarebytori 08:25 PM 09-15-2011
It's the little things this week that have made a huge difference and remind me why I'm in the field I'm in.

1) One of my favorite families has hit a finiancial snag this week, so I'm allowing them to pay late (something I NEVER do). Today they come in with a card made by dcg3 that has a beautiful mess of different shades of blue (my favorite color) and a plate of oatmeal cookies. DCM says that she hopes I like oatmeal, it was the only kind of cookies they had at home, and that they are so appreciative of allowing them to pay late before apologizing profusely. I'm not an oatmeal cookie eater, but they were pretty darn good and the children loved them for snack

2) I'm in the process of interviewing for an open spot I have. I'm giving a potential family an interview and when we reach outside where my assistant has the kids playing, DCG age 2, comes running up to me and yelling "I love you, I love you!" before giving me a hug and running back off. Guess which family has signed on and guess which of my daycare children got an extra special secret treat that day?

3) I tucked my daycare kids in and left them with my assistant while I took my babies (4mo, 8mo, 12mo) off on a very long, very relaxing stroller ride through the neighborhood. The temp was hovering at 65 degrees and I felt so extremely lucky that I was able to take my babies on a ride this afternoon. They are down for their morning nap while the older kids enjoy outdoor play so I'm very happy that the temp was finally cool enough (normal temp right now is 90ish degrees) to be able to walk this afternoon. Babies were fed, changed and laid down for their nap after the walk and they went right to sleep with absolutely no fussing. Love it!

What were some other little things this week that have made a difference?
mom2many 09:02 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
It's the little things this week that have made a huge difference and remind me why I'm in the field I'm in.

1) One of my favorite families has hit a finiancial snag this week, so I'm allowing them to pay late (something I NEVER do). Today they come in with a card made by dcg3 that has a beautiful mess of different shades of blue (my favorite color) and a plate of oatmeal cookies. DCM says that she hopes I like oatmeal, it was the only kind of cookies they had at home, and that they are so appreciative of allowing them to pay late before apologizing profusely. I'm not an oatmeal cookie eater, but they were pretty darn good and the children loved them for snack

2) I'm in the process of interviewing for an open spot I have. I'm giving a potential family an interview and when we reach outside where my assistant has the kids playing, DCG age 2, comes running up to me and yelling "I love you, I love you!" before giving me a hug and running back off. Guess which family has signed on and guess which of my daycare children got an extra special secret treat that day?

3) I tucked my daycare kids in and left them with my assistant while I took my babies (4mo, 8mo, 12mo) off on a very long, very relaxing stroller ride through the neighborhood. The temp was hovering at 65 degrees and I felt so extremely lucky that I was able to take my babies on a ride this afternoon. They are down for their morning nap while the older kids enjoy outdoor play so I'm very happy that the temp was finally cool enough (normal temp right now is 90ish degrees) to be able to walk this afternoon. Babies were fed, changed and laid down for their nap after the walk and they went right to sleep with absolutely no fussing. Love it!

Awww, I absolutely LOVE this post! I think it is so easy to get caught up in negative and frustrating things and I praise you for posting something positive!

Sometimes having compassion speaks volumes and that is awesome that the family acknowledged and appreciated your willingness to accommodate them!

I also believe it's a total reflection upon who you are as a person and the job you are doing, when children express their feelings of love to you like that.

Enjoying a nice outdoor walk...total Bliss--Now that was icing on the cake!

I'd most definitely say those are the little things that make a "huge" difference! Thanks for helping me remember all of the little things that make this job a "huge" blessing in my life!
blessedmess8 09:38 PM 09-15-2011
Love this!! My neighbor brought us donuts the other morning. And I've done really well this week about staying on task and being productive during nap time so I've really gotten to enjoy MY family in the evenings.
laundrymom 03:01 AM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
Love this!! My neighbor brought us donuts the other morning. And I've done really well this week about staying on task and being productive during nap time so I've really gotten to enjoy MY family in the evenings.
Love this thread!!!
I too have been back on a modified Flylady routine and it's Friday morning, my sink is shiny, laundry folded and put away, waiting on nap blankets this afternoon. I even mowed last night so I didn't have to over the weekend. I plan on spending the morning in make believe land and the afternoon outside.
3kidzmama 04:21 AM 09-16-2011

Love this!!!! May I ask what stroller you use that holds three babies? I need something like that!!
blessedmess8 05:51 AM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Love this thread!!!
I too have been back on a modified Flylady routine and it's Friday morning, my sink is shiny, laundry folded and put away, waiting on nap blankets this afternoon. I even mowed last night so I didn't have to over the weekend. I plan on spending the morning in make believe land and the afternoon outside.
I LOVE flylady!!!
SilverSabre25 08:44 AM 09-16-2011
Oh I love this, how wonderful. What a wonderful way to remember to appreciate those little things in life.

I've had a frustrating morning so far, so this is very much appreciated for me!
childcarebytori 09:43 AM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
Love this!!!! May I ask what stroller you use that holds three babies? I need something like that!!
3kidzmama,

I have this triple stroller (Those are two of my 2's in the stroller, and my one of my infants who was 2mo in this photo). It's a Foundations Triple Stroller. Bought if off craigslist for $150
Attached: Triple Stroller.jpg (20.2 KB) 
beachgrl 09:49 AM 09-16-2011
This week hasnt been too bad, out two days pay because dcb didn't come as his dcm was home sick...has been a fun and not stressfulmweeknwith my two dcb's. I have a parent interested in a pt slot and mtng w them next week, have another who should be starting ft last week of sept and just got a call from a hispanic woman asking rates so who knows?

I Also had a big company in a local town where ppl from our area work call me and ask if I wanted to be added free of charge to their local business daycare provider listing they have where they can refer people to me via the website..uhhh, yah!
Today I am meeting w the food program person to see if I want to sign up for .that or not too...
Things are starting to look up, I had just started scoping out teaching jobs again bc I wasn't sure if I'd be able to have enough kids so hoping a cpl more come along or my drop ins decide to do pt or ft to keep their spot w others coming along

I just keep praying for things tonwork out because I love doing this and working from home!
3kidzmama 07:36 PM 09-16-2011
3kidzmama,

I have this triple stroller (Those are two of my 2's in the stroller, and my one of my infants who was 2mo in this photo). It's a Foundations Triple Stroller. Bought if off craigslist for $150
Love!!! I'm gonna have to find one of those!!
Tags:daycare experiences, love daycare
Reply Up