Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Adding Paid Holidays for 2012
SandeeAR 07:40 AM 10-25-2011
I have a question for those of you that get paid for holidays. How do you handle the part timers? I have 3 full time and 1 that only comes two days a week. Do they pay for all the holidays too?

Also, what if a Holiday falls on a weekend, like this year with Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Do you still get paid extra for them as extra money or only if they fall on "daycare days, m-f"?

Thanks.
cheerfuldom 07:44 AM 10-25-2011
for part timers, I still close but I do not require any paid holidays from them. They only pay when they are here (I only have one part timer right now, usually have two). Normally the moms just change days so I still get a chance to earn the same amount of money.
SilverSabre25 07:44 AM 10-25-2011
Part-timers:
Part-timers pay if the holiday or day off falls on a contracted day for that family. For example, I have a family that is contracted for W, Th, and F. They don't have to pay for Memorial Day or Labor Day because those are not days they would ordinarily be paying. Does that make sense?

Weekend Holidays:
If the holiday falls on a weekend and I don't take the "observed" day off (Friday before a Saturday holiday or Monday after a Sunday holiday) then I don't get paid, as families would not ordinarily be paying me for that day. If I do take the "observed" holiday off, then I would get paid as though it were a paid holiday.
MarinaVanessa 08:08 AM 10-25-2011
All of my clients have contracted hours (except drop-ins of course) so if a hoiliday falls on one of their days and I close then I get that holiday paid. If their contracted days don't fall on a holiday that I close then they are not affected.

For example PT family comes Monday, Wed, Fri and I close for a holiday on Friday then they only come 2 days that week and can't switch Friday for a Tues or Thurs. If however their scheduled days are Mon-Wednesday and I close Friday then they are not affected and they come their normal 3 days.
DCMom 10:30 AM 10-25-2011
All my part time kids come on set days. The paid holidays only affect them if they fall on a day that they normally attend. I have a dcm who told me when she enrolled, that she works T-W-Th because most school/daycare off days are Mondays/Fridays.

I always try to take of a Wednesday at least once a year...just for her

For holidays that fall on a weekend, I choose and alternate day either the week before or the week after in lieu of the day. This year I took the Friday before and Monday after.
lpperry 11:04 AM 10-25-2011
I have 4 part-timers. For holidays, if it falls on a day that they don't normally come, they don't pay. If it falls on a day that they do come, they do have to pay. That is the rule in my contract. However, if a holiday falls on their day, I always switch them to another day if I have the room (which I usually do). I always offer this--it's not the parents demanding. I also have part-timers with flexible schedules, so I switch them around if one family needs a different day for one week.

For full-timers, if the holiday falls on a weekend, I don't take a weekday off for the holiday. However, I might have worked that into my contract for Christmas, but instead, I take the week off between Christmas Eve and New years (paid).
wdmmom 11:15 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Part-timers:
Part-timers pay if the holiday or day off falls on a contracted day for that family. For example, I have a family that is contracted for W, Th, and F. They don't have to pay for Memorial Day or Labor Day because those are not days they would ordinarily be paying. Does that make sense?

Weekend Holidays:
If the holiday falls on a weekend and I don't take the "observed" day off (Friday before a Saturday holiday or Monday after a Sunday holiday) then I don't get paid, as families would not ordinarily be paying me for that day. If I do take the "observed" holiday off, then I would get paid as though it were a paid holiday.
This is what I do. They pay the same rate each week regardless of absence/holidays/etc.

If they are Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and it's the week of Thanksgiving, they can pay to add Monday and Tuesday but they will still pay for Thursday and Friday because it's holidays.

Same as if they were Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and it's Memorial Day weekend. They won't come Monday but you still get paid. They can add Thursday or Friday for additional money. They can not substitute days.
WImom 12:20 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Part-timers:

Weekend Holidays:
I do the same except for Christmas - if it falls on a Sunday or M-Th I also have the following day off as a paid holiday.
Tags:paid holidays
Reply Up