Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tearing My Hair Out
SilverSabre25 07:17 AM 04-03-2013
My DD is driving me up a wall, my dcbs are driving me up a wall, my toddler is clingy and my dcbaby is teething. The weather is still too cold to really spend all morning outside (esepcially because the aformentioned baby really hates the cold), and it's hard anyway when it feels like freaking 23 at 9 AM!

But I finally reached the end of my rope with DD being bossy (she's SO 5.5 right now).

I split up the big kids, and guess what? Peace! Guess we're going to have assigned activities and certain switching times for awhile. Isn't that fun. ARGH!
Country Kids 07:29 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
My DD is driving me up a wall, my dcbs are driving me up a wall, my toddler is clingy and my dcbaby is teething. The weather is still too cold to really spend all morning outside (esepcially because the aformentioned baby really hates the cold), and it's hard anyway when it feels like freaking 23 at 9 AM!

But I finally reached the end of my rope with DD being bossy (she's SO 5.5 right now).

I split up the big kids, and guess what? Peace! Guess we're going to have assigned activities and certain switching times for awhile. Isn't that fun. ARGH!
I pretty much have to split up my kids anymore. They are just a group that cannot handle group play! I just honestly don't get it, I don't. So pretty much I have stations set up to play at and we switch whe the timer goes off. They ONLY time they really can get along is when we are outside but we are having 20 degree differences every two days and either pouring down rain or extreme sunshing. So somedays we are out others not and those are the hardest days.
jojosmommy 11:29 AM 04-03-2013
I hear ya! My DS is 4 and he rules the roost (or so HE thinks). He is so bossy and unmanageable at times that my husband and I have considered dropping him at another daycare just so he settles down a bit. Ok, considered but not actually doing it.

And I love group work. I find that the kids do so much better split up. But it makes for twice or more the work for you. Ugh.
Heidi 11:32 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I pretty much have to split up my kids anymore. They are just a group that cannot handle group play! I just honestly don't get it, I don't. So pretty much I have stations set up to play at and we switch whe the timer goes off. They ONLY time they really can get along is when we are outside but we are having 20 degree differences every two days and either pouring down rain or extreme sunshing. So somedays we are out others not and those are the hardest days.
Good strategy!
Heidi 11:33 AM 04-03-2013
Sorry to hear that, Silver... I hope it's better tommorow.
SilverSabre25 11:36 AM 04-03-2013
The biggest issue for me with splitting them up is space, and my toddler, and the crawling infant. I'm seriously thinking of getting like 4 cheap tables and chairs at Ikea when I go soon and putting them out around my main playroom, so that the big kids have an "up" space to work, and then give them all worksheets or similar things when they aren't playing well together.

I'm also going to take one of nannyde's longstanding tidbits of advice and assign one big kid to play with DS (the toddler), and make that like a "station" lol. And I'll let the others pair up now and then, but all three big kids just can NOT play together without chaos and mayhem. And I hit my limit of chaos and mayhem this morning.

I'm also laying down the law about the running, the shooting noises, the pretending to poop (that was new, but omg so annoying!) and DD's bossing. She's gotten so unmanageable lately. Five and a half suuuuucks.

But it's interesting...even six months ago I would have been so stressed right now dealing with all their shenanigans, but I'm not angry today. Just, tired of the crap and absolutely adamant that they. will. STOP. the misbehaving.

Even though the boys are both shooting me dirty looks every two minutes or so
mema 12:10 PM 04-03-2013
Five and a half suuuuucks.
Just wait for 8, I mean 9, no 10. My dd-9 breaks out in tears occassionally (ok, like once a week) because everyone is always in charge of her, but she is in charge of no one. I am the boss of the house, dh is when I'm not here, and of course ds-12 thinks he can tell her what to do. And then you have teachers and coaches........oh boy! She thinks if she gets a bunny, it will all be better because then she will have someone to be in charge of. Ok, dear, go scoop the cat poo and be in charge of that!

Sorry, no advice just
CedarCreek 12:19 PM 04-03-2013
The biggest issue for me with splitting them up is space, and my toddler, and the crawling infant. I'm seriously thinking of getting like 4 cheap tables and chairs at Ikea when I go soon and putting them out around my main playroom, so that the big kids have an "up" space to work, and then give them all worksheets or similar things when they aren't playing well together.

I'm also going to take one of nannyde's longstanding tidbits of advice and assign one big kid to play with DS (the toddler), and make that like a "station" lol. And I'll let the others pair up now and then, but all three big kids just can NOT play together without chaos and mayhem. And I hit my limit of chaos and mayhem this morning.

I'm also laying down the law about the running, the shooting noises, the pretending to poop (that was new, but omg so annoying!) and DD's bossing. She's gotten so unmanageable lately. Five and a half suuuuucks.

But it's interesting...even six months ago I would have been so stressed right now dealing with all their shenanigans, but I'm not angry today. Just, tired of the crap and absolutely adamant that they. will. STOP. the misbehaving.

Even though the boys are both shooting me dirty looks every two minutes or so
Cannot stand the running and shooting noises either!

I had to split mine up today as well. I had my biter shadowing, the 2 Bigs playing dress up, and the other three playing trains.
Reply Up