Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SUNSCREEN - When Parent/Teacher Should Apply?
Aneta 08:27 AM 06-02-2016
Hi, What is the general rule on sunscrean?
Should parents apply in morning AND teacher again before going out? It is only one or the other? I am referrign to a day when NO water/sprinkler is involved.

Thanks
Thriftylady 08:41 AM 06-02-2016
I have gotten to the point where I provide and apply it. Last year, I tried to get parents to supply it and it was just a hassle. And as far as application, I have no proof the parent applied it, and if they get burned on my watch it is on me. So I figure if I apply myself, I KNOW it was done.
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 06-02-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have gotten to the point where I provide and apply it. Last year, I tried to get parents to supply it and it was just a hassle. And as far as application, I have no proof the parent applied it, and if they get burned on my watch it is on me. So I figure if I apply myself, I KNOW it was done.
What she said. Chap stick, bug spray, no tears soap, etc.

FYI, A quick hose down/clean up with no tears baby wash in a ** new ** garden sprayer hose attachment works like a charm for removing bug spray before going inside. It foams some and the kids love it. Happy Zika season.

Keep your receipts and add it to your expenses for tax season.
Kimskiddos 08:50 AM 06-02-2016
I ask my families 2 or 3 times each summer (in the newsletter) and also supply. They provide about 1/2 and I do the rest. Same with bug spray, we go through a lot of both.

I'm down in central Texas, on the front lines of all the nasty mosquito born virus' coming up from south America.
Controlled Chaos 08:52 AM 06-02-2016
Last year I had parents bring a bottle - it got to be a huge PITA keeping track, the grease caused the names to rub off, washing my hands between kids...ugh

This year I sent a letter home describing what kind I would provide, had them sign I could use it on their kids. I apply at 1st snack (20min before we go out) and during afternoon snack if we will go out again. I want to KNOW they have it on and some kids come so early it would need reapplied anyway.
childcaremom 08:56 AM 06-02-2016
My parents supply it for their child. They are also to arrive with the first layer on in case we are already outside.. I apply at snack, which is about 20-30 mins before we go out again.
daycarediva 09:36 AM 06-02-2016
I supply it, but parents are SUPPOSED to apply it before drop off as well since we are typically already outside.

I am not above sniffing a kid to see if it's on and then applying as needed as soon as they arrive while reminding the parent about THEIR responsibility.
sahm1225 11:31 AM 06-02-2016
I had a question for those that apply sun screen. Here, parents are supposed to do the first coat and then once we get outside we apply sunscreen again. I don't apply sunscreen inside because it's so greasy and I don't want it everywhere!

For those that apply inside, how do you keep the kids from
Getting it everywhere? And those that don't apply, do you just avoid going out when the sun is high so they dont get Sunbirned?
Thriftylady 11:36 AM 06-02-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I had a question for those that apply sun screen. Here, parents are supposed to do the first coat and then once we get outside we apply sunscreen again. I don't apply sunscreen inside because it's so greasy and I don't want it everywhere!

Getting it everywhere? And those that don't apply, do you just avoid going out when the sun is high so they dont get Sunbirned?
For me it depends what we are applying. The spray on I apply outside, the cream inside.
Controlled Chaos 11:36 AM 06-02-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:

I do it while they are sitting down at snack. It keeps them from running away lol. I use a really thick kind - Blue Lizard. Its not greasy like the spray ones. Part of why I started supplying it is I read so many things about the spray ones that I decided I just didn't want them around at all.
Baby Beluga 01:53 PM 06-02-2016
Parents supply sunscreen for their child and sign a waiver. I apply about 20 minutes before we go outside. I only allow lotion sunscreen, I don't like the spray kind.
sharlan 06:00 PM 06-02-2016
I go through a ton of sunscreen every summer. We go on a lot of outside outings. I provide all sunscreen. I use spray on the bodies (kids hold a towel over their faces), lotion on the face and lips.

We put it on right after breakfast. I do the kids one at a time on the back patio. Then, I give them a quick repeat when we get wherever we're going. I do one last coat after lunch. We're generally heading home by 2, so they don't need more.

I used to shower the kids down, wash their hair, and lotion them after water outings (beach and Raging Waters), but quit that last year. I did it for 30 years but found the parents I had last year started to expect it instead of appreciate it. It also saves me a lot on soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and laundry.
Febby 08:11 PM 06-02-2016
Parents provide; we apply. However, we tell them what kind to buy and then it simply becomes community sunscreen so there's no hassle with applying different sunscreens to each child. Only way they can get a different sunscreen is with a doctor note stating the child has an allergy to the kind we require.

As for applying, it's applied in the morning during circle time (15 minutes before going outside) and during afternoon snack (15-20 minutes before going outside). If a child arrives while we're outside, we apply.

And we always do it because too many parents are too unreliable.
happymom 10:14 AM 06-03-2016
My home daycare supplied sunscreen for all the kids. She would send a note stating what kind she used and I think most of us donated a bottle or two of the kind she liked best, but she did not require it.

My center daycare asks us to bring a bottle for each child enrolled and they apply it before going outside. My kid plays outside A LOT at his daycare center and has never been burned, so I think they do a good job!
Cat Herder 10:19 AM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I used to shower the kids down, wash their hair, and lotion them after water outings (beach and Raging Waters), but quit that last year. I did it for 30 years but found the parents I had last year started to expect it instead of appreciate it. It also saves me a lot on soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and laundry.
Here, too... except for the 30 years part. Not too far behind you, though.

That is why I went the garden sprayer route. Saves my play rugs/mats from the oily/stinky mess and cuts my labor 1/4.

They wear my rash guard/shoes & swim suit for playground. Apply/Hose down/Air dry all happens on the deck. Change into their street clothes for going home as they head back into the playroom. Works like a charm.

Not sure it would work with multiple trips out, per day, though. I do one 2 hour trip out per day (infant heavy group).
Annalee 10:22 AM 06-03-2016
my playground is completely shaded.....plus sunscreen is considered a med here so I would have to fill out a medication form if I applied....never have had a parent bring sunscreen nor have I ever offered to supply it....my handbook states no meds given so I guess that is why.
AmyKidsCo 11:21 AM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Me too. I use the Avon skin so soft with bug guard. I love that it's 2 products in one and smells good. The kiddos love that it turns them blue temporarily. I don't worry about washing it off, it's not greasy and I figure it's the parents' job.
Pepperth 11:25 AM 06-03-2016
I have the parents supply it, but I don't have many kids so its easy to keep track of. Where my son went before I opened, they charged a sunscreen fee at the beginning of summer and supplied. If a child has sensitive skin or needed a certain sunscreen, then the parents supplied it.

Most of my kids come early enough where we'll be inside for breakfast before we go out to play, so I apply the sunscreen myself,
LysesKids 12:25 PM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
my playground is completely shaded.....plus sunscreen is considered a med here so I would have to fill out a medication form if I applied....never have had a parent bring sunscreen nor have I ever offered to supply it....my handbook states no meds given so I guess that is why.
See my oversize deck is shaded over half of the day... only time it gets straight on sun is hottest part of the day, and I won't take babies out in that kind of heat, they would crispy in 5 minutes. Now they do wear little sun hats when we go out since most haven't gotten hair yet. I have a med form ready, but only in cases of life or death allergies (most don't get tested until after age 2 when they have left here), or in cases the meds absolutely must be given over 3 times daily. Only had to use the form once in 3 years
Annalee 12:35 PM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
See my oversize deck is shaded over half of the day... only time it gets straight on sun is hottest part of the day, and I won't take babies out in that kind of heat, they would crispy in 5 minutes. Now they do wear little sun hats when we go out since most haven't gotten hair yet. I have a med form ready, but only in cases of life or death allergies (most don't get tested until after age 2 when they have left here), or in cases the meds absolutely must be given over 3 times daily. Only had to use the form once in 3 years
I don't do meds of any kind at any time...
Tags:bug spray, mosquitos, sunscreen
Reply Up