Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Brand New Classroom, Brand Newborns
kb220 04:54 PM 08-11-2019
This is half a request for advice and half just curiosity,

My class will soon be moving up, and then I'll be in a room with a class of 8 newborns and (for the most part) new daycare parents. What would you make sure to do if you could start with a 'blank slate'? With both new kids and new parents?

My big thing is going to be putting my foot down about late pickups and no show/no call days right off the bat.

I'll have these kids for the next two years, so I'm anxious to start out on the right foot.
flying_babyb 06:01 PM 08-11-2019
I start with a brief letter about myself. I do a bit about me, a little bit about my education, a bit about my family,ect. Then I add what there child will learn and things they need to know.
I then ask the parents what I should know about their child. I do a form that says:
My name is______. I eat__________. I eat every________hours. I eat__________ounces. I am allergic to________.When Im upset I like_____________. I like to do____________. I do/do not take a pacifier. I dont like________. The people in my family are_________. I will be dropped off around_______. I will be picked up around___________. My family needs you to know________________________.

I then put the forms in a "Child information" binder. I put there emergency card on the back. I tell every teacher who may be in my room, and anyone who may sub where to find this. It prevents "OH i didnt know" syndrome. Makes the parents feel like you really care too. Get to know their names, a bit about them too.
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by kb220:
This is half a request for advice and half just curiosity,

My class will soon be moving up, and then I'll be in a room with a class of 8 newborns and (for the most part) new daycare parents. What would you make sure to do if you could start with a 'blank slate'? With both new kids and new parents?

My big thing is going to be putting my foot down about late pickups and no show/no call days right off the bat.

I'll have these kids for the next two years, so I'm anxious to start out on the right foot.
Are you in a center or home based?
Do you get to make the rules/enforce them?

I guess for me the biggest thing in regards to having newborns in care are parents that allow what we cannot in child care. ie: holding baby 24/7, allowing baby to sleep in swings or rock and plays or with blankets etc...

Those types of things create so many issues in child care that it's easiest and best to inform parents of these things before they become bad habits that you must struggle daily to over ride.

Other than that, a general respect and observance of the rules/policies is a must.
Unregistered 05:02 PM 08-12-2019
I like what black cat said! mabey a handout (that they sign) that says:
IN daycare we can:
List some things you can do for baby to help them sleep such as sleep sacks

We can't:
Things you cant do
Cat Herder 06:07 AM 08-13-2019
A "Preparing your infant for daycare" letter would help. Editing and adding your own experience would be helpful.

This is an excellent example of one by a provider in Minnesota. I apologize to the author as my autocorrect and Grammarly had a field day, so it is not verbatim.

http://www.kidzrule09.com/preparing-...childcare.html
Preparing infant for childcare:
Preparing your new baby for the transition to childcare is extremely important. The last thing anyone wants is a baby who is crying all day because the transition is just too much. Below are some tips for preparing your baby for childcare.

1. Let your baby nap in his or her crib.

2. Give your baby a bottle on a regular basis if breastfeeding.

3. Write things down for your childcare provider.

4. Don't use all your sick leave on maternity leave.

5. Expect your baby to be clingy and extra hungry in the evenings.

Tags:backbone, blackcat, enforcing policies, infant policy, late pickup, letter sample, newborn, policies - rights
Reply Up