Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Covid or Cold and WHY!!!

I have a two year old that started coughing with major congestion abs runny nose. His mother kept him home today.
I don't trust this. How am I suppose to know what to do? Anyone else experiencing kids with cold symptoms?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delferka View Post
I have a two year old that started coughing with major congestion abs runny nose. His mother kept him home today.
I don't trust this. How am I suppose to know what to do? Anyone else experiencing kids with cold symptoms?
The Fall Season is going to be difficult with the dryer air and coughs. My 19 year old always stops up this time of year and he is in trade school and he is so worried about being sent home....never runs a temp but??? we run a vaporizer so? I understand though as I worry about daycare issues like this, too.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

Here that requires a negative covid test + need to be symptom free for 24 hours before they return.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Daycare.com Member

There are some good clients that are worrying just like us; simply don't know what to do.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I'm confused. What do you mean "I don't trust this"?

Your state should be giving you guidance in what to exclude for in terms of Covid. You can always come up with your own policies as well. There are lots of resources out there in terms of what symptoms to look for (as long you follow the minimum requirements if state mandated to).

Here, a cough would automatically be out 10 days from onset and at least 24 hours symptom free (48 preferred).
A runny nose and congestion (with no cough) would also be out.
Just set some guidelines and stick to them. It's an odd time we're living in. But, we need to act in the best interest of the group as a whole, not just one family's wants or needs.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:52 AM

Here is the “decision tree” we are to follow to make the proper call

https://www.health.state.mn.us/disea...ls/exguide.pdf
Old 09-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Here, it would start at symptom free without medication for 48 hours before return.

Obviously, if fever or worsening of symptoms presents the doctor would/should order a test (Strep, Flu, Covid, Ear infection). *I would require a doctors visit, minimum.

If Strep positive they can come back 48 hours after antibiotics.

If flu A or B it would be symptom free without medication for 48 hours before return, only.

If COVID tested, it would either be 14 days watch for symptoms at home or symptom free without medication for 48 hours before return plus a negative test. If positive it is 14 days plus symptom free without medication for 48 hours before return.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
In my state, the guidelines are that if the child is Covid-19 positive or symptomatic and presumed to have it,
the child may not return to day care until he has been evaluated/tested by a health care provider and meets the criteria for discontinuing home isolation. If you haven't already, I would check to see if your state provides you with guidelines to follow.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

ALL my dck, myself, my hubby, and my teenage sons caught a cold at the beginning of the month. It was AWFUL but all common cold symptoms (no loss of taste/smell, no fever, no digestive issues) so I let them keep coming. But I know my families are really good and wouldn't bring them if they suspected Covid.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

Better to err on the side of caution now. Our local elementary school sent home 17 students with Covid symptoms this past week. More than likely they all have simple colds or viruses but it's going to be a crazy year trying to keep everybody healthy and happy. And we're extremely lucky to live in a small town, rural state, with very few Covid cases around here.
I hope parents are more understanding than ever and all the entitlement doesn't shine through. Yes, it'll be challenging and discouraging but parents will need to be proactive and compassionate.

Tags
cold, covid-19 - precautions, flu