Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking for Donations?
iheartkids 06:57 AM 08-26-2011
Do you ever ask parents to donate items? I suggested to my husband that I may ask them to bring a box of kleenex for the winter months like the schools do and my husband crinkled his nose at me . I've also thought about asking for paper? But whenever I'm actually face to face to a parent I feel stupid and I'm afraid the only person who will actually help with that stuff is my parent/family member.
MyAngels 07:00 AM 08-26-2011
I just supply all of the day-to-day things needed here, but I don't see any reason not to give parents a list of supplies to bring every now and again. I do ask families to donate any extra magazines/catalogs that they have, so we can use them for projects.
godiva83 07:04 AM 08-26-2011
Maybe if you can increase your rates to include these items?!
It is tempting to ask, but I think most will feel like their payment should cover these basic supplies- at least that is how my DCF's would feel.

What about doing a simple fundraiser? You could do a photo sale or craft sale?
I did a spring silent auction and had some really great black and white photos that I printed at Walmart 5x7 and 8x10 the parents loved them I also made sure there was more than one child in each picture so parents would out bid one another. We also did nameless artwork, canvases, Christmas ornaments, wreaths. I raised enough to get all my winter creative supplies ($275)
JaydensMommy 07:09 AM 08-26-2011
I agree, I wouldn't feel right asking them for supplies. You could just raise your rates a little bit. They will feel like their rates should include and cover all that unless you told them otherwise when they started.
mismatchedsocks 07:13 AM 08-26-2011
I have asked for donations like empty water bottles for science expirement or old clothes to use to smocks. I even asked for toilet paper rolls, papertowel rolls, and bottle tops.
I have never thought about asking for things like kleenex, BUT i do use wipes that the parents supply for runny noses and cleanups. They are thicker and do a much better job then the kleenex!
As for paper, are you looking for art paper? I think you could ask for scrap paper, or paper that parents may shred. But i wouldnt ask them to buy anything.

I had a family picnic last year. I got a ton of local businesses to donate items and gift certificates. Then I gave each family 2 tickets for showing up, 5 tickets for bringing a dish to pass. I didnt think they would ask how much tickets were to purchase, but ended up with $200 in cash from them buying tickets. I bought an outdoor climber and the parents loved to help with the donation! ( one raffle prize was a brand new pool stick, and a bottle of liquor....that got the most tickets! LOL)
MarinaVanessa 08:45 AM 08-26-2011
I ask for supplies but more like throw away things or things that they're getting rid of like toys, books, and old clothing. I won't ask for things like kleenex and such since I write them off anyway. I mark certain things especially for daycare and they are exclusively fpr the DC kids only so I can write the entire amount off. I'd feel like you and feel silly to ask for these supplies.
AnythingsPossible 08:46 AM 08-26-2011
While i generally provide supplies, I to have been tempted to ask for parents to donate a box of kleenex. Allergy season has hit hatrd here and i am going through a box of tissues every couple of days.
I think if you have helpful practical parents, it would go over well. I think you really have to judge the temperment of your parents in order to decide if it would go over well or not!
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 08-26-2011
Every single September and March each parent is required to supply me with a box of Kleenex brand anti-viral tissues.

I also buy them (in large quantities) but I ask the parents to help contribute due to the fact that we live in a state that has winter 9 months of the year and unless I completely exclude kids with runny noses, there is no financial way I could keep up with all the snot!

I could raise my rates to cover all the tissue but it is by far more cost effective for the parents to supply a box twice a year than pay a higher rate. I am not asking for a kidney....just two boxes of Kleenex.

FTR~ NOTone single parent has ever complained or questioned. Some actually bring bulk packs so...
CheekyChick 08:56 AM 08-26-2011
I don't ask for donations, but my parents always bring me things like: Diapers that they no longer use, old toys, books, etc. I've even received a really nice high chair.

I would just print up a letter stating that your daycare could always use donations of tissues, paper, craft supplies, etc. Most parents love to participate, so I can see you getting some of the things you need.
pfund2233 08:58 AM 08-26-2011
I have a cute little branched tree that sits near my front door that I decorate for the different seasons/holidays. It's my "Wishing Tree". It's got decorations with words of items that I wish I had more of. The parents love it and so do the kids. They just pluck an item off the tree they are going to purchase and bring the decoration back with the purchase. I told them by them helping me with this it helps keep their cost for care lower.

Some of the items on my Wishing Tree are:
Kleenex
Hand Soap
Computer Paper
Cleaning Wipes
Crayons
Glue

It changes with the seasons tho!!
CheekyChick 09:20 AM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by pfund2233:
I have a cute little branched tree that sits near my front door that I decorate for the different seasons/holidays. It's my "Wishing Tree". It's got decorations with words of items that I wish I had more of. The parents love it and so do the kids. They just pluck an item off the tree they are going to purchase and bring the decoration back with the purchase. I told them by them helping me with this it helps keep their cost for care lower.

Some of the items on my Wishing Tree are:
Kleenex
Hand Soap
Computer Paper
Cleaning Wipes
Crayons
Glue

It changes with the seasons tho!!
What a CUTE idea!!!
Tags:donate, donation
Reply Up