Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Question
momofboys 04:30 AM 07-07-2010
Do you give potential clients a sample contract/list of policies when they first come to meet you or do you wait until they want to actually enroll? I have an interview tonight with first-time parents. I am afraid they will be scared off if they see my policies, even though they really are not that lengthy (about 5 pages).
SunflowerMama 04:55 AM 07-07-2010
Every family that comes for an interview receives a folder with all my information (Parent's Handbook, sample curriculum, sample menu, daily schedule and all the forms necessary for enrollment). Inside I place my business card and on the front of my folder is a sticker with my logo.

Everyone has commented that they loved it and didn't get anything like this at any other interview around here. It shows them that I take my business very seriously and take pride in what I do.

I think it allows them to have all the information ahead of time and allows them as a family to review it all and ask any additional questions before considering enrollment.
tymaboy 04:58 AM 07-07-2010
I too hand it all out. That way they can look over it when they are not feeling so over whelmed.
Vesta 05:05 AM 07-07-2010
It depends on how attached you are to your paperwork.
If you give it after a first interview, you run the risk of never seeing it again.

I don't send paperwork home anymore without a deposit. They are always more than welcome to sit and read through my policy.
I've just had too many packets go out and not come back.
Pammie 05:38 AM 07-07-2010
Well, would you rather have them scared-off after the interview, or have to terminate them later for not following your policies?

I too put everything together in a folder for prospective clients when they come for an interview. My policy handbook - 11 pages, my contract - 2 pages, enrollment forms, monthly calendar and newsletter, list of references, as well as checklist for cubbie items.

We go over all of this information during the interview, this way there are no surprises for the parents, or for me - that anyone can later claim that they "didn't know" about a particular policy. I don't like surprises - and if a parent is put-off about the length of my handbook or contract, then my daycare isn't the right place for them
momma2girls 05:45 AM 07-07-2010
FOr those of you who have nice folders, etc. do you ask for these back?
Daycare Mommy 05:53 AM 07-07-2010
I give them a copy of the policy book to read through, but hold all the forms until they decide to go with us.
Pammie 06:50 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:

I don't ask for the folders back. I just stock up on them yearly at the back-to-school sales when I can pick them up for 6/$1. Between the folder and all of the copies of the paperwork that goes into them, I figure it's less than $3 for each set....and that's all deductible as business expenses.

But I too have had many families comment on the "professionalism" of my daycare having everything organized for them for the interview...so for me, it's worth the expense to start my business relationship with my clients on such a level.
SunflowerMama 08:14 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I don't. I just chalk it up to a business expense. They are just the regular 2-pocket folders with a slot for a business card.
professionalmom 09:41 AM 07-07-2010
I also do the folder with the contract, policies, forms, business cards, etc. However, during the interview, I also go over the main key points of my contract and the explanation of why I have that policy (i.e., no outside food without advance permission because I am on the food program and must provide the food to receive reimbursement AND because it's not fair to the other children - exception for babies under 1 year old). I have had a lot of comments about how nice it is to go over the contract and policies because there are other providers that say, "here you go" and just hand over the packet, which some clients did not like. I also explain to them that I WANT them to know what they are signing up for BEFORE they sign so there won't be any problems in the future and that it benefits both of us. Even though I have no obligation to make sure they have read the contract, I want them to know what they are agreeing to and signing to prevent future disputes.
momma2girls 10:03 AM 07-07-2010
I have a friend that uses this folder system, and it costs her so much for each packet, and it would sure suck, if they didn't choose you. She always complains about it- them finding cheaper care, etc. etc...... Oh well chalk it up to our business. I might buy alot of folders around school time and try this. I hand out everything when I have the interview now, it's just nice all inside something for them.
momofboys 11:52 AM 07-07-2010
Thanks for the input. I did end up printing everything out for them. I try to talk about all my policies during an interview but you always forget something. I think I will just give them the paperwork after our interview & let them know all information we discussed is documented in the forms & if they choose to select me they will then have everything they need.
misol 12:07 PM 07-07-2010
When I first started out (almost a year ago) I also gave out my parent packet to every prospective client. I had the 2 pocket folders with a slot for my business card. My parent packet includes a welcome letter, handbook (18 pages), contract (3 pages), forms (10 pages), and my business card. It started becoming too expensive - paper, ink, folders, and time.

Now I just have my handbook posted on my website. When I get a call I refer the parent to the website to review my policies BEFORE we set up the interview. Then, if they still want to interview, I address any questions or concerns they have about the policies in the face-to-face. If they don't have any questions, I go over the policies that I feel are most important (just in case they didn't actually read the handbook). Now, the only thing I give them after the interview is my business card. When they come back to enroll is when I give them the full parent packet. I haven't had this happen but if a parent were to ever request a folder I would give it to them. I just don't voluntarily hand them out to every prospective client anymore.
Lianne 12:15 PM 07-07-2010
I used to but I had several interviews last summer from people claiming to be heading back to work only to find their ad listed on the online classifieds, using my exact policies. Now, I have no problem sharing my policies and other forms. Heck, I put mine together with help from other providers. But, be honest with me and ask up front for help with your policies or to see my policies. I'd be more than happy helping a new provider out but I won't stand being lied to. So, now, I conduct my interviews and go over my policies then. When the family decides to use my services and signs the contract then I hand over a copy of my policies.
momma2girls 12:28 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
When I first started out (almost a year ago) I also gave out my parent packet to every prospective client. I had the 2 pocket folders with a slot for my business card. My parent packet includes a welcome letter, handbook (18 pages), contract (3 pages), forms (10 pages), and my business card. It started becoming too expensive - paper, ink, folders, and time.

Now I just have my handbook posted on my website. When I get a call I refer the parent to the website to review my policies BEFORE we set up the interview. Then, if they still want to interview, I address any questions or concerns they have about the policies in the face-to-face. If they don't have any questions, I go over the policies that I feel are most important (just in case they didn't actually read the handbook). Now, the only thing I give them after the interview is my business card. When they come back to enroll is when I give them the full parent packet. I haven't had this happen but if a parent were to ever request a folder I would give it to them. I just don't voluntarily hand them out to every prospective client anymore.
This is an awesome idea, if you have a website.
Tags:interview
Reply Up