Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Let Me Say...
PitterPatter 03:29 PM 08-25-2011
I actually have a client that follows at least 1 of my policies!! I am happy to report that a DCM called me this morn to report that her HUSBAND suggested she call to inform me that their son may not be well enough to attend daycare but they wanted to leave it up to me. I asked what the symptoms were and she said he has a really bad runny nose and feels a little warm. I tell her to take his temp but odds are he will have to be kept home. Then she says he had also vomited thru the night. The vomiting was the closer for me so not attending today! I am just shocked DCD actually stepped up and followed policy!

I figured I would share this good news since I bring enough bad situations. I don't think I have ever had a parent admit that their child is ill before even coming to daycare! So now my faith in parents is somewhat renewed! I thanked her repeatedly for being honest and upfront with me.
sharlan 03:33 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I actually have a client that follows at least 1 of my policies!! I am happy to report that a DCM called me this morn to report that her HUSBAND suggested she call to inform me that their son may not be well enough to attend daycare but they wanted to leave it up to me. I asked what the symptoms were and she said he has a really bad runny nose and feels a little warm. I tell her to take his temp but odds are he will have to be kept home. Then she says he had also vomited thru the night. The vomiting was the closer for me so not attending today! I am just shocked DCD actually stepped up and followed policy!

I figured I would share this good news since I bring enough bad situations. I don't think I have ever had a parent admit that their child is ill before even coming to daycare! So now my faith in parents is somewhat renewed! I thanked her repeatedly for being honest and upfront with me.
She shouldn't have even asked you. She should have called to say the little one wasn't coming today.
Zoe 03:35 PM 08-25-2011
Baby steps
PitterPatter 03:39 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
She shouldn't have even asked you. She should have called to say the little one wasn't coming today.
Yes that's how it should be but when ya have clients like I have (it's allergies) ya tend to be thankful for every little morsel of repect you get. I do anyway. She could have not said a word and dropped him. I have parents arrive with the kid looking ill or doped up and they say he/she is just tired I just woke them up. 1-2 hrs later I make the call and some have even admitted they didn't have any other choice they hoped he would get better. Another said she knew she was sick but doesn't have anyone else and the kid ended up staying until 5pm! So being that I have been stuck with a sick kid I was just so excited to have some honesty kwim?
cheerfuldom 08:03 PM 08-25-2011
it sounds like she mentioned the vomiting almost like it was an after thought. Why are parents not more alarmed when their kid is vomiting? Thats not a normal, healthy thing to be doing
Crazy8 08:21 PM 08-25-2011
congrats on your small victory!! I am glad I generally have parents who are good about this. Every once in a while I get the ones who claim everything is teething, allergies, etc. but more often than not I just get the basic call in the morning that the child won't be coming, they were up sick all night or have this or that illness. No asking if they can still bring them, etc. This board makes me appreciate what I've got!
godiva83 08:42 PM 08-25-2011
That's great-- I get the same thing.. Teething or allergies, drives me nuts I need to be more firm regarding sick policies.
LittleD 05:25 AM 08-26-2011
I have one parent who is great about keeping her kid home for a day. Anymore then that and she start complaining how she has to take all this time off work, and how she can't afford it. A fever of 103, sorry, you need to keep him home.
wdmmom 05:44 AM 08-26-2011
Yay! Gotta look at the positives...at least they called, at least they asked, and at least they didn't ask at the door!
PitterPatter 07:54 AM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Yay! Gotta look at the positives...at least they called, at least they asked, and at least they didn't ask at the door!
Exactly what I was thinking. I would love to be able to EXPECT 100% cooperation from all clients but 5+ years in I have come to accept certain things and deal with them as I go. So anything that comes easy I am gratful for.
Tags:call in sick, husband, policies
Reply Up