Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training
KDC 09:14 AM 09-23-2011
So... I potty trained my son (just turned 2 end of May), and apparently the DCM's took notice. The next day, one of them brought her DCB to me in underwear. She bent down to his level and said 'Remember, if you pee it will go all down your legs and everywhere, so go to the potty.' I said, oh great... he's going on the potty now? She said, um, he hasn't really tried yet, but he insisted on wearing underwear, and walked out. I tried to get him on the potty, and he screamed. Um... NO, I immediately put a diaper on DCB and informed the parent I would need them to work with him for at least a weekend to get him used the potty prior to them bring in underwear, AND if he was not at least 80% trained, he would need to have at least pull-up on. This is reasonable, correct?

Now two other parents are feeling they also need to 'train' their children which will make it 4 total children training at the same time. Yikes! At least I don't have any babies this year =)
Christian Mother 10:03 AM 09-23-2011
Do you have anything in your parent hand book on potty training? I tell parents I will not start potty training til the parents have successful started the process. I recommend the weekend of fully dedication to it. I request a full bag of pull ups and a full bag of undies. I train military style...nothing for the first week no undies no pull ups...commando. I have wood floors and tile and the bathroom is located right next to the play room so clean up is very easy for me. We don't use the little potties but full potties. There will be a couple accidents but if the children are scared to sit on the potty and scream then right back into diapers until they master being comfortable with the potty. That can be after every diaper change walking to the potty and just sitting on it even just for a little bit. Always using praise!! Baby steps But I always place the training on the parents bc it really needs to be initiated by the parents otherwise there going to have a lot of problems. I potty trained one of my little guys and the parents tried as much as they could possibly do but the parents worked during the weekend they had a hard time focusing on potty training with him. When he was with me here I would never have a accident and even getting him to poop in the potty often but he would have a lot of accidents at home and it frustrated the parents. It just takes a lot of patience and a lot of praise so they are comfortable.
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 09-23-2011
I suggest reading Nan's blog about potty training. It will be very helpful when dealing with parents who are wanting you to do all the work.

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...tm#comment-169
meganlavonnesmommy 05:49 AM 09-24-2011
My contract required them to be accident free for at least one week before they can be in underwear. Its a sanitary issue.
Tags:potty training, potty training advice, potty training policy
Reply Up