Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers Are So Disrespected!!
lilcupcakes09 06:19 AM 06-15-2012
As an in home provider for the past 3 years, I have heard about this but never really encountered it myself. Yesterday I took all my dck's to the local park to play before lunch. A mom was there with her little girl who just turned 2 days before, she was discussing with another mom about daycare......they were discussing whether or not she was going to switch the girl from in-home care to a preschool. In her words, "I'm torn between taking her from her current daycare lady to put her in preschool, but I want her to be somewhere where she isn't just sitting around all day at someone's house". REALLY!!! I'm glad you think that is all that is done within a day!
EchoMom 06:37 AM 06-15-2012
Maybe that is what she's doing at the current in home. Not everyone has such great professionalism and programs as the providers here do. My niece, a SA, was at a place last summer where the lady would not let them come in the house, not even for water. All the SAers had to stay outside and play all day long. This summer she's staying with me and helping out with the toddlers and babies and loving it!
cheerfuldom 06:50 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Maybe that is what she's doing at the current in home. Not everyone has such great professionalism and programs as the providers here do. My niece, a SA, was at a place last summer where the lady would not let them come in the house, not even for water. All the SAers had to stay outside and play all day long. This summer she's staying with me and helping out with the toddlers and babies and loving it!
exactly!

unfortunately, there are a lot of providers that just let kids watch TV all day. I saw one on CL recently whose "playroom" was a GIANT TV, a couch and half a dozen toys. Thats it. no other toys, nothing on the walls, nothing.
Kiki 07:00 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
exactly!

unfortunately, there are a lot of providers that just let kids watch TV all day. I saw one on CL recently whose "playroom" was a GIANT TV, a couch and half a dozen toys. Thats it. no other toys, nothing on the walls, nothing.
Sadly this. Part of my day care area here is my families front room, but it's only used for nap time, dancing time, and sometimes the older kids will go down there during free play. I would never advertise it as a 'play room' though.

The mom could be unaware of everything the girl does in her current providers home, but, there is also that chance that she is just sitting around at the home all day. For her child's case, I sure hope not, to think of all the kids that are in a 'day care' but are really just sitting around watching TV all day makes me sad. I feel bad when we run out of time and aren't able to get some kind of an art project done for the day, I couldn't imagine what I would feel like if we sat around all day long.

To the point of the OP though-there are also those jerk parents out there that really do think we all just sit around during the day doing nothing but eating chocolate and enjoying the good life.
Breezy 07:04 AM 06-15-2012
exactly!

That's like my play room. Minus the half a dozen toys. We have a million billion toys on rotation. But the tv is never really on. I feel bad I don't have stuff on the walls but I want to keep it kind of homey for us. We are moving though so I will have more rooms to set up as play rooms. So excited to decorate!!!
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
To the point of the OP though-there are also those jerk parents out there that really do think we all just sit around during the day doing nothing but eating chocolate and enjoying the good life.
...Hey!! I DO sit around all day enjoying the good life!

I color, I paint, I read funny stories, I snuggle and get hugs and kisses, I crawl through tunnels, jump rope, lay in the grass and climb trees.

I act silly, make goofy faces and sing like a drunken sailor and tease and tickle my day friends!

I make yummy food and get treats on special days. I dig for buried treasure, make sand castles, puddle jump and make mud pies. I dress up, wear crowns and newspaper hats, I get my hair fixed by 3 & 4year olds and told I am beautiful multiple times a day!

I don't know about you, but I totally live and enjoy the good life everyday!
Breezy 07:36 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I color, I paint, I read funny stories, I snuggle and get hugs and kisses, I crawl through tunnels, jump rope, lay in the grass and climb trees.

I act silly, make goofy faces and sing like a drunken sailor and tease and tickle my day friends!

I make yummy food and get treats on special days. I dig for buried treasure, make sand castles, puddle jump and make mud pies. I dress up, wear crowns and newspaper hats, I get my hair fixed by 3 & 4year olds and told I am beautiful multiple times a day!

Love!!!
Kiki 08:31 AM 06-15-2012

Hahah yes, so very true!
countrymom 09:19 AM 06-15-2012
this is a two way street. One way is that, there are providers who do nothing all day. The other way, is that even thou the mom is saying the girl is not doing anything, she probably has no idea what is going on. My kids play all day, we may not do art or cirriculum everyday, but so what. These are parents who have no idea what goes on all day, they don't see that their child learns to share, learns to eat with utensils, learns how to play with other kids....
jojosmommy 10:36 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
this is a two way street. One way is that, there are providers who do nothing all day. The other way, is that even thou the mom is saying the girl is not doing anything, she probably has no idea what is going on. My kids play all day, we may not do art or cirriculum everyday, but so what. These are parents who have no idea what goes on all day, they don't see that their child learns to share, learns to eat with utensils, learns how to play with other kids....
I agree with this. I think there are a lot of parents who no matter how much we tell them about their child's day they either don't care or don't get it. I have one parent who LOVES to hear about what they did that day, and another one who doesn't even give me or his kids the time of day. I am sure he thinks his kids just sit around and watch tv all day.
Countrygal 10:59 AM 06-15-2012
exactly!

I have personally experienced MANY of these in our area. In fact, I have never been able to find one that actually had a program that was an in-home daycare prior to this year. That's one reason I opened one. Now I've met a few who have programs, but the vast majority do not. Most of the centers do, but not the in-home ones.
My3cents 11:17 AM 06-15-2012
The two way street is that many parents do nothing but put the child in the TV room with the TV on all day to entertain them. They take them to daycare even when they are not working and they leave them there from open to close,stop at Donald's for supper and take them home to put them to bed.

People don't know what they don't know-

Sounds like this women was just running at the mouth--- UGH A parent should do what is the best for the child. I feel school systems are not letting kids be kids and $ is what moves the push for early learning, early early learning. Parents love it because they don't have to pay to send the child to daycare they can just do pre-school or whatever program is out there for free. I need to jump off my box now before I boing back up again. Sore subject with me.

If this lady felt that is all her child was doing, why would she continue to send her child there until it was time to make a choice?

I am sure there are bad daycares out there but I think most of them are loving caring people, that have the kids best interest at heart. We don't get paid enough to put up with all that we do-

ugh-
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:38 AM 06-15-2012
exactly!

I have a huge tv in my playroom (still my house and my family room when the day is done) , and half a dozen boxes of toys (they go on rotation), and nothing on my walls, ( I have no drywall up yet, just poly wrap). And not one of my daycare families have ever complained, once!

If the provider has a teaching degree then by all means teach preschool. But if not then she is providing a safe place for her kids to hang out and play.

If she wants her child to learn preschool stuff, put her in a preschool.
WImom 11:42 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
As an in home provider for the past 3 years, I have heard about this but never really encountered it myself. Yesterday I took all my dck's to the local park to play before lunch. A mom was there with her little girl who just turned 2 days before, she was discussing with another mom about daycare......they were discussing whether or not she was going to switch the girl from in-home care to a preschool. In her words, "I'm torn between taking her from her current daycare lady to put her in preschool, but I want her to be somewhere where she isn't just sitting around all day at someone's house". REALLY!!! I'm glad you think that is all that is done within a day!
I've gotten alot of my kids from other daycares that do just sit around and the parents wants preschool learning so they see my set up and daily schedule and sign them up here.

Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
I have a huge tv in my playroom (still my house and my family room when the day is done) , and half a dozen boxes of toys (they go on rotation), and nothing on my walls, ( I have no drywall up yet, just poly wrap). And not one of my daycare families have ever complained, once!

If the provider has a teaching degree then by all means teach preschool. But if not then she is providing a safe place for her kids to hang out and play.

If she wants her child to learn preschool stuff, put her in a preschool.
Not all of us have a teaching degree but teach preschool. I for one don't have a college degree but all the kids here are ready for K5 and we don't sit around at all.
DCMom 12:12 PM 06-15-2012

Exactly!

We went to the park to day (Only 10 kids, a light day!) We were walking single file with our walking rope, my dd leading and me bringing up the rear with the wagon containing lunches, water, blanket, sand toys, snacks, etc. people would literally stop on the walking path and stare.

"I'm torn between taking her from her current daycare lady to put her in preschool, but I want her to be somewhere where she isn't just sitting around all day at someone's house" You know what? If that's truly how it is, then that's on her ~ if that is the provider she chose and that's how the provider runs her business, then how can she complain about it now? Chances are she has NO CLUE what her child does everyday...especially at 2!
cheerfuldom 01:32 PM 06-15-2012
Sorry if I offended about the TV remark. Maybe I should post that ad I saw......it was a giant finished basement that was completely empty. It is possible that she had all the other toys and supplies somewhere else....the picture itself was not very appealing in my opinion. And there are a lot of daycares who have little toys and only a TV because they kids watch TV almost all day. I realize that not every daycare that has a TV uses it all the time.
daycare 01:37 PM 06-15-2012
I say to each their own....It's all about what a parent is looking for.

I know some daycare providers that cater to mostly under 2's and they are not anything other than babysitters. They are very sweet and good providers, but it's just what they offer.

Then there are providers like me that only take 2-5 and we do preschool, field trips and lots of other cool stuff.

There are providers that only do before and after school kids- Ahh lets just call them nuts......lol JK But you know what I mean.

DOn't take it personal...I would have given her one of my business cards.
Michael 02:21 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
I think you missed an opportunity to pick up a new client.
Kiki 02:32 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
I think you missed an opportunity to pick up a new client.

Tags:parents - disrespect
Reply Up