Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opinions on Contracted Hours, Please
Puddleduck 04:11 AM 01-13-2016
I currently have it set up that my hours are 7:30-5:00 and although I have a rough idea of when each family will pick up, there are no guarantees. I find this leads to chaos and confusion for the children and I'm planning on switching to contracted hours. My dilemma is that I've been doing it this way for a long long time and this is what my current families are used to. They really appreciate the flexibility in pick up times. Do I sit down with them and change to contracted hours, or do I keep on letting them do what they're doing and just use contracted hours with every new family that signs up with me? I'd appreciate your opinions! Thank you!
childcaremom 04:22 AM 01-13-2016
I would suggest using the fee scale. Earlier pick ups = cheaper tuition fees. That way clients are encouraged to pick up earlier.

I don't use that, myself, so hopefully someone else will chime in with how it works.

What I do with my clients, is have them write in the latest pick up time they expect to do (with my approval) and then text if they will be arriving earlier so I can get the child ready. it works for me but it sounds like that might not work for you? For instance, I have a teacher who has 5 as her pick up time, which she would need if she had a staff meeting. She is usually here at 4ish, texts when she is on her way.
Blackcat31 05:27 AM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
I currently have it set up that my hours are 7:30-5:00 and although I have a rough idea of when each family will pick up, there are no guarantees. I find this leads to chaos and confusion for the children and I'm planning on switching to contracted hours. My dilemma is that I've been doing it this way for a long long time and this is what my current families are used to. They really appreciate the flexibility in pick up times. Do I sit down with them and change to contracted hours, or do I keep on letting them do what they're doing and just use contracted hours with every new family that signs up with me? I'd appreciate your opinions! Thank you!
I use contracted hours and can no longer wrap my head around why some providers do not. lol!

However, I usually introduce new families to new payment/rate policies but wanted all my families on contracted hours so I could have better control in when I work and when I am off work. I own a separate child care house so I certainly didn't want to be at work any earlier or longer than I really needed to be...kwim?

I wrote a letter telling parents that rather than raise rates across the board, I was instead implementing a rate structure that would allow the parent to control their child care costs. Basically, I "sold" it to them something that benefited THEM.

Now I know EXACTLY when I need to be here and when I can leave. Thus allowing me to schedule appointments and other personal things outside of work verses having to find a substitute or having to close.

I now make MORE money and work LESS hours.
People will find a way to do X if it will save them money.
If they just pay by the day, then they want their money's worth and won't waste using it.
I think it's the secret to "marketing" and sales really......
Thriftylady 06:33 AM 01-13-2016
Love my contracted hours! I used to do it the other way, and found that some parents are more than happy to leave their kids open to close. Some here do use the sliding fee scale as PP mentioned. I don't, I just charge a rate based on hours.
Reply Up