Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do U Know Its Time?
BentleysBands 05:15 AM 12-13-2010
to quit??

or just in a funk and cant get out of it?

I have been doing inhome daycare for almost 25yrs ... 2 wks ago i finally quit my sewing business as i was just so tire of being strapped down,etc....

Now, I'm feeling like i could just drop daycare....financially we cant since i quit sewing. plus to be honest, i would sleep all day and thats not good either LOL

i just cant get out of this funky feeling. i dont wanna do ANYthing , crafts,preschool,etc....I'm so tired of bending over backwards for others, being used, EXPECTED to do things, parents comments when i need days off, excuses from parents, LIES, questioning things, dealing w/grandparents () and the list goes on....

i'm burnt out!! but this is ALL i've ever known and done and i have NO desire to work outside of the home.

what do YOU do to help get over this hump?

christmas vaca for me is coming up and i cant wait!!! maybe that will help me ! i sure hope so
boysx5 05:27 AM 12-13-2010
sounds like a break is in order I have gotten this way over the years and sometimes I have to write down the pros cons and that also helps
momofsix 05:36 AM 12-13-2010
Sorry you're in a slump ((()))! I think we ALL feel this way at times. The best thing would be a little break, so hopefully you get one over the holidays. This time of year is always especially hard for me too, (Dec thru Feb) I think I have a little SAD. Sometimes it helps me to have a day, even when the kids are here, that we just chill out...throw our routines and curriculums out the window for a day and just read books or watch videos, or just let them play. Feels like a minivacation! (But know your group first, I had one group that I did this with and it was horrible, the kids could not function without their schedule!)
If you really are thinking about quitting, that is ok...just make sure it is what you would really want to do! We've heard more than one on this board say they quit,, got rid of everything, and then decided to start again but had to start all over! As pp said, listing the pros and cons might be a really good idea for you.
Hope you're feeling better soon!
ps who says sleeping all day isn't good...not me!
momofboys 05:51 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
to quit??

I have been doing inhome daycare for almost 25yrs ... 2 wks ago i finally quit my sewing business as i was just so tire of being strapped down,etc....

Now, I'm feeling like i could just drop daycare....financially we cant since i quit sewing. plus to be honest, i would sleep all day and thats not good either LOL

i just cant get out of this funky feeling. i dont wanna do ANYthing , crafts,preschool,etc....I'm so tired of bending over backwards for others, being used, EXPECTED to do things, parents comments when i need days off, excuses from parents, LIES, questioning things, dealing w/grandparents () and the list goes on....

i'm burnt out!! but this is ALL i've ever known and done and i have NO desire to work outside of the home.

christmas vaca for me is coming up and i cant wait!!! maybe that will help me ! i sure hope so
Sorry you are in a funk! Can you do some NEW things, try out some different totally out-of-the-box things? Not sure WHAT but just switch things around, the order of how you do things with the kids? Add some new games/activities? Remind yourself of all you have to be thankful for. Sometimes when I remember others who are much less fortunate (homeless, ill people, etc) I snap out of my level of depression or complaining & realize that I am so well-off compared to many. Or could you possibly take a few days off? I hope you have several over Christmas. Hugs, I too experience feelings similar to yours & I think it's totally normal.
meli829 06:05 AM 12-13-2010
I feel the same way today and have been for a few days. I've had all but one of my families lie to me about their kids being sick and now my daughter is sick (6 months) my husband and I am coming down with it. We have all had their various illnesses and now they only have runny noses, so I am going around every 5 minutes wiping noses! Dcb has been having major diaper blowouts EVERY day since he started a month ago and I'm really sick of it. I've had to give him baths for some they were so bad and have to change his clothes ALL the time. I'm tired all the time because I'm pregnant, and the house work is suffering big time because I don't have energy at the end of the day to do much, and cooking is another story. I feel like the only pro left if getting to stay home with DD but even then I hardly have time with her during the day because I have to tend to the other kids. I'm hoping it's just a funk but who knows. I don't even have time off for the holidays either.
countrymom 07:29 AM 12-13-2010
I think you need a vacation, but it has to do something with the weather, I hate cold weather, the kids are inside all day, I feel like some children never leave only to have to deal with my own.
nikia 07:45 AM 12-13-2010
I'm sorry you are in a slump. I am feeling the same way so I don't have any advice. Can you go back to sewing and just do that instead of daycare?
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 12-13-2010
YES!!!! Vacations are the cure all elixir for many ailments!! Take a vacation...rest relax and enjoy yourself..maybe even plan a day trip somewhere or for a weekend somewhere. Sometimes that is all it takes to come back refreshed. I also use the first of the year to go over all my policies and to reiterate that I am NOT going to be a push over about things and it always goes good for a few months of the New Year....then I look forward to summer vacation! Hang in there! This too shall pass...
kathiemarie 07:46 AM 12-13-2010
When I feel like that I take a day off. I have 5 pd personel days a year. (even if I didn't get pd. I would still take a day off if I got in a bad funk.) I think that my parents would rather me take off a day (mental health) than be grump (not saying you are but I can be. ) And if they do have a problem? Well that to da** bad. Take care of yourself no one else will.
MommyMuffin 08:58 AM 12-13-2010
Sorry you feel this way. I feel that way too and I just started a month ago.
My plan is to just suck it up until my babies are in school (5 yrs...(I have a child on the way) or wait until hubby gets a good raise and then I will be done.
I would love to just be with my children all day and then I would take a nap when they nap!
When my kids are grown I think I will just take on a part time office job. So thats the plan....but in the meantime...I'm pretty miserable. To be honest I'm pretty depressed.

Good luck, hopefully tomorrow will be better and know others feel the same way you do to.
jen 10:42 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Sorry you feel this way. I feel that way too and I just started a month ago.
My plan is to just suck it up until my babies are in school (5 yrs...(I have a child on the way) or wait until hubby gets a good raise and then I will be done.
I would love to just be with my children all day and then I would take a nap when they nap!
When my kids are grown I think I will just take on a part time office job. So thats the plan....but in the meantime...I'm pretty miserable. To be honest I'm pretty depressed.

Good luck, hopefully tomorrow will be better and know others feel the same way you do to.
Awww, thats sad! It can be hard at first, but it can get better too

Can I ask what part you are struggling with? We may be able to help make this a more pleasant 5 years! That is a long time to do something that you aren't enjoying.
jen 10:45 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
to quit??

I think we all go through this from time to time. I have a case of burn out myself, but I think its because I'm almost done with school and I'm nearing the end. I've always been able to talk myself out of a slump, but knowing that this is it, somehow makes it harder.

I hope your vacation helps. If not, trying moving stuff around, making your policies more provider friendly, anything to shake things up and make your life easier.
MyAngels 11:52 AM 12-13-2010
Whenever I get to feeling this way I start looking for another job. I've even taken it to the point of going on interviews. It doesn't take me long to realize that I have absolutely no desire to deal with the BS that goes along with working for someone else, and unfortunately I can't seem to find another business that I can remain my own boss and make the kind of money I do now. I guess it's kind of a reality check for me, but I always come back with a renewed sense of purpose and professionalism. I suppose the upside of doing this is you might actually find another job that you would want to do .
kidkair 12:27 PM 12-13-2010
I was getting burned out and took a vacation. The vacation only helped for a week or two. I started thinking I was suffering from SAD and got a BLU therapy lite. After a couple weeks of the Blu light I felt so much better. I also had my doctor check my vitamin D levels and found that they were low so I started taking suppliments daily right before my blu light arrived. I use a little travel size one (link) for 1/2 hour every morning as I eat my breakfast.
MommyMuffin 02:39 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Awww, thats sad! It can be hard at first, but it can get better too

Can I ask what part you are struggling with? We may be able to help make this a more pleasant 5 years! That is a long time to do something that you aren't enjoying.
I am struggling with boredom and lonliness. I feel like I am not accomplishing anything. I thought we would do crafts and play games but my 2.5 yos do not do crafts or play games.

Like today: I put out butcher paper, jumbo crayons, glue sticks, pom poms, stickers. And the kids just sat there. I started to draw something and then show them how to use the glue sticks and put on pom poms but all they did was scribble one line and smear the glue stick all over the paper over and over and then they said "I'm done."

All this work and they dont even play. Its frustrating.

I dont expect much but scribble with different colors...put stickers on everywhere...put them on each other...and I try to show them but they just dont want anything to do with it.
jen 03:07 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I am struggling with boredom and lonliness. I feel like I am not accomplishing anything. I thought we would do crafts and play games but my 2.5 yos do not do crafts or play games.

Like today: I put out butcher paper, jumbo crayons, glue sticks, pom poms, stickers. And the kids just sat there. I started to draw something and then show them how to use the glue sticks and put on pom poms but all they did was scribble one line and smear the glue stick all over the paper over and over and then they said "I'm done."

All this work and they dont even play. Its frustrating.

I dont expect much but scribble with different colors...put stickers on everywhere...put them on each other...and I try to show them but they just dont want anything to do with it.
Well, that is definetly something we can help with! So, as to not hijack the thread I'll start a new thread for games and crafts for the under two crowd...you'll be having fun and feeling more productive in no time!
Tags:job change, overwhelmed, quit
Reply Up