Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reminder Letter For Sick Policy
mickey2 06:17 AM 01-15-2011
I posted a few days ago regarding a sick 22 month old dcg whos mother continuously brings the little girl in sick. She comes 2 times a day for 2 hours in the am and again in the afternoon for another 2 hours. Yesterday morning when she brought dcg she smelled very strongly of vicks rub, had a constant runny nose that was like a tap and watery eyes. No matter how many times I wiped her nose it was useless as 5 seconds later it was the same. I thought maybe teething? She had no fever but then mom probably medicated her. In the afternoon girl came in, no fever at first but then fever started an hour later. She was clearly not feeling well at all and was very cranky.

Mom comes to pick girl up at 4 and I tell mom. "She's really not feeling well and she has a fever" Mom says "Oh gee again? I GAVE her advil?" As if she could not believe the kid should have a fever because the advil should have made everything okay! I was clearly upset and I told mom that if she has a fever for any reason "teething" included I am unable to take her until she is fever free for 24 hours. I have other children in my care and I do not want anything going around and around for weeks and that it would be better for her to take one or two days off than for me to have to close for 2 weeks because it is going around my own family. Mom left upset. I could tell as she did not speak to me at all and she is usually very chatty.

I saw a post on here a little while back where someone posted a "reminder letter" I really liked the wording of this very much and I would love to use it to give to my daycare parents. They all do know my policies but seem to "forget" so they need a letter like this. I have looked for it but I can not find it. Does anyone know where I can find it? Or can the poster please send it to me? I would really appreciate it!
dEHmom 06:34 AM 01-15-2011
do you remember who the poster was? was this the thread? https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25486

There was a few I posted on your last thread, if any of those are similar you can adjust it to the wording you want.

Not only is this a matter of the fever being a virus that is going around, it is also a problem because I know many children who when they have a fever have to be monitored VERY CLOSELY because of seizures. Fevers are not a matter of just being hot, there are risks associated with it. If it's a flu bug, if the children have diarrhea/vomitting they can dehydrate very quickly. It's just not worth the liability. The mom could argue that YOU gave tylenol, or didn't call soon enough, if something errrr happened.
mickey2 06:58 AM 01-15-2011
Thank you Baybee! This was not the one I saw. The one I saw said something like this......"as a reminder of my sick policies" or something similar and then went on to state them. The wording was great and I liked it. I wish I could put things down on paper like some of you ladies. I am in a constant state of brain fog when it comes to writing things up.
dEHmom 07:01 AM 01-15-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
Thank you Baybee! This was not the one I saw. The one I saw said something like this......"as a reminder of my sick policies" or something similar and then went on to state them. The wording was great and I liked it. I wish I could put things down on paper like some of you ladies. I am in a constant state of brain fog when it comes to writing things up.
To be honest, anytime I've seen anything on here I've liked, I've asked permission from the poster, and then copied and pasted it into either my contract or a new file, and labelled accordingly. That way I know it's in there. I know have like 7 different forms, 5 different notices either for handouts, or for posting, etc.

I read a lot of these threads, and I might recall which one (I have photographic memory) if you had any more info on what might've been in the thread.

Is this it? Posted in "Does It Bother You" by missnikki

Dear (parent's name), June 10, 2010

This letter is to serve as a reminder of our policy on sick children at daycare. Your signed acknowledgement is required in order for (child's name) to continue attending our program.

Unfortunately, we feel that this measure is necessary to ensure the safety and health of all the children in our care, our staff, and your own child.

The 2010 Policy Handbook (page 4) states:
“ PROCEDURES FOR SICK CHILDREN
Any child showing signs of illness while at the program may have parents called to pick up the child. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN OUR PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED. “

This policy is a state regulation, and is the minimum requirement to be in compliance with California State law. We also require that these guidelines apply WITHOUT the use of fever/ pain reducer/ cold medications for at least 24 hours.

Lastly, this signed acknowledgement will serve as notice that failure to follow our sick child policy will result in refusal of care until a signed physician's release is submitted.

___________________________ _________________
PARENT SIGNATURE DATE

A copy of this letter will be given to you. If you would like to attach a response to keep in your family file, please submit it in writing to (provider's name) within one week.

Sincerely,

(your name)
mickey2 08:03 AM 01-15-2011
Thanks Baybee for finding this! I think this is it & Thanks missniiki for the letter.
mickey2 08:08 AM 01-15-2011
I have been working on this since yesterday morning. I think I have it tweaked and ready to print out! This is what I have come up with and going to give to each parent!!

I just added the last line from missnikkis letter. Thanks everyone!

Sick Policy

For the protection of all of the children in my care as well as the health of your own child and my family, this is a reminder of my sick policy. In order to protect the group as a whole, I ask that parents assist me by keeping sick children at home.

In the event that a child becomes sick while here the family will be notified and prompt pick up arrangements will be made.

If a child is sick, unable to play outdoors, and/or unable to participate in regular daily activities, alternate arrangements for care must be made.

Children with infectious illnesses can not attend.

When child may not attend daycare

Fever 99.9 degrees and higher
this includes the night before/morning of daycare ~ No fever for 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication.
If you had to give your child medicine the night before then that still means they can not come to daycare the next morning.

Rash ~ Unexplained rash ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating your child is not contagious.

Vomiting or/and Diarrhea ~ All symptoms must be gone and no Vomiting or Diarrhea for 24 hours

Strep Throat ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics for 24 hours and be without a fever without medication for it.

Flu/Bronchitis/Pneumonia ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating it is ok to come back to daycare. This usually takes about 2-3 days before they can come back to daycare. Must be on antibiotics and no fever for at least 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication.

Ear Infection ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics and no fever for 24 hours before returning.

Conjunctivitis (red eyes with yellow discharge)/Pink Eye ~ Consult doctor/Need a note.Child must be on eye drops/antibiotics for 24 hours.

Head Lice ~ Usually takes 24 hours to treat head and house ~ When all nits have been removed and child is cleared from the doctor. Need a note.

Common Cold Policy

Children suffering from a common cold will be assessed on an individual basis.
Factors of consideration include the developmental level of your child in congruence with my ability to limit the spread of germs.
The younger your child, the more difficult it is to keep the spread of germs down. For example: hand to face contact, mouthing of toys, uncontrolled nasal discharge, uncovered sneezing and coughing etc.

(Also when caring for an ill child, the ability to provide high quality care to all of the other children is jeopardized)

A child may return when he or she is free from symptoms and no longer infectious. The child should also be well enough to actively participate throughout the day. In any case of serious or unexplainable illness, a doctor’s medical clearance may be required prior to admission back into care.

If you have any questions concerning this policy and whether your child should attend, please call me before bringing your child.

PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN MY PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR ANY OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED.

dEHmom 08:15 AM 01-15-2011
Sick Policy

For the protection of all of the children in my care as well as the health of your own child and my family, this is a reminder of my sick policy. In order to protect the group as a whole, I ask that parents assist me by keeping sick children at home.

In the event that a child becomes sick while here the family will be notified and prompt pick up arrangements will be made.
this is a long sentence. maybe state while in my care, you will be notified immediately, and arrangements for prompt pick up should be made?
If a child is sick, unable to play outdoors, and/or unable to participate in regular daily activities, alternate arrangements for care must be made.

Children with infectious illnesses can not attend.

When a child may not attend daycare

Fever 99.9 degrees and higher
this includes the night before/morning of daycare ~ No fever for 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication. If you had to give your child medicine the night before then that still means they can not come to daycare the next morning.A child must be symptom free for 24 hours, without the use of a fever reducer, before they may return to care

Rash ~ Unexplained rash ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating your child is not contagious.

Vomiting or/and Diarrhea ~ All symptoms must be gone and no Vomiting or Diarrhea for 24 hours

Strep Throat ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics for 24 hours and be without a fever without medication for it.

Flu/Bronchitis/Pneumonia ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating it is ok to come back to daycare. This usually takes about 2-3 days before they can come back to daycare. Must be on antibiotics and no fever for at least 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication.

Ear Infection ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics and no fever for 24 hours before returning.

Conjunctivitis (red eyes with yellow discharge)/Pink Eye ~ Consult doctor/Need a note.Child must be on eye drops/antibiotics for 24 hours.

Head Lice ~ Usually takes 24 hours to treat head and house ~ When all nits have been removed and child is cleared from the doctor. Need a note.

Common Cold Policy

Children suffering from a common cold will be assessed on an individual basis.
Factors of consideration include the developmental level of your child in congruence with my ability to limit the spread of germs.
The younger your child, the more difficult it is to keep the spread of germs down eg hand to face contact, mouthing of toys, uncontrolled nasal discharge, uncovered sneezing and coughing etc.

(Also when caring for an ill child, the ability to provide high quality care to all of the other children is jeopardized)

A child may return when he or she is free from symptoms and no longer infectious. The child should also be well enough to actively participate throughout the day. In any case of serious or unexplainable illness, a doctor’s medical clearance may be required prior to admission back into care.

If you have any questions concerning this policy and whether your child should attend, please call me before bringing your child.

PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN MY PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR ANY OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED.
Tags:sick policy, sick policy samples
Reply Up