Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Change of Heart?
JeepGirl6 11:12 AM 03-07-2011
Last week was just one of those weeks for me where I felt like this was not for me anymore. Well as some of you have already probably read before about 3 months ago I applied to 3 hospitals around me ( I also have my Medical Assisting Degree) and when positions got offered to me I turned them down because I felt bad for my day care parents and well I am making more money doing my day care than what they had to offer.

I really want to pay off all of my credit cards with the extra money that I am making from my day care...BUT..here's the but.. I was so stressed out last week about my day care that I applied to a position again at the Childrens Hospital in my area...They called me today for an interview...I missed the call so they left a voicemail..it's full time, benefits, retirement, 401k all of that..NOTHING I have right now and that is something me and my boyfriend have been stressing out about because we don't have health insurance or anything for retirement...( another reason why I think he is putting off marriage because he wants us to have insurance)

I have not called them back yet...I really did not think they would call me back or even this soon...I don't know what to do, I know where my heart is and that is wanting to get back into the medical field...but I am just so afriad to do this to the parents AGAIN ( I turned down the offer 3 months ago because of the money I am making doing my daycare is more and the upset parents)

I was planning on going back to school for my RN in August, but I really don't want to go to school for another 4 years, so I was hoping to get into the hospital so I am at least where I want to be for now and then later if I really want to go for nursing then I will go, but at this time all I can think about is I went to college 1 month after graduating High School (2004) 4.5 years later and I graduated January 2010, so do I really want to go back right now, No.

The position is for a Pediatric Urology Surgical office...I have never worked in this speciality before so even if I don't like it, I am getting my foot in the door and can transfer to any other Medical Assistant position in the hospital after 9 months...

I am just so confused right now..now even sure what do...Any Advice????
Sunny Day 11:15 AM 03-07-2011
honestly, it sounds like you want to do it, so you should. People can find another daycare provider! Don't rearrange your life (or not rearrange it ) because you're worried about upsetting the parents! Good luck and you shouldn't at all feel bad, it's your life!
MyAngels 11:16 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
Last week was just one of those weeks for me where I felt like this was not for me anymore. Well as some of you have already probably read before about 3 months ago I applied to 3 hospitals around me ( I also have my Medical Assisting Degree) and when positions got offered to me I turned them down because I felt bad for my day care parents and well I am making more money doing my day care than what they had to offer.

I really want to pay off all of my credit cards with the extra money that I am making from my day care...BUT..here's the but.. I was so stressed out last week about my day care that I applied to a position again at the Childrens Hospital in my area...They called me today for an interview...I missed the call so they left a voicemail..it's full time, benefits, retirement, 401k all of that..NOTHING I have right now and that is something me and my boyfriend have been stressing out about because we don't have health insurance or anything for retirement...( another reason why I think he is putting off marriage because he wants us to have insurance)

I have not called them back yet...I really did not think they would call me back or even this soon...I don't know what to do, I know where my heart is and that is wanting to get back into the medical field...but I am just so afriad to do this to the parents AGAIN ( I turned down the offer 3 months ago because of the money I am making doing my daycare is more and the upset parents)

I was planning on going back to school for my RN in August, but I really don't want to go to school for another 4 years, so I was hoping to get into the hospital so I am at least where I want to be for now and then later if I really want to go for nursing then I will go, but at this time all I can think about is I went to college 1 month after graduating High School (2004) 4.5 years later and I graduated January 2010, so do I really want to go back right now, No.

The position is for a Pediatric Urology Surgical office...I have never worked in this speciality before so even if I don't like it, I am getting my foot in the door and can transfer to any other Medical Assistant position in the hospital after 9 months...

I'd say go with your heart. If it doesn't work out you can always re-open your daycare.
jen 11:16 AM 03-07-2011

My advice is to go to the interview. Give it your best shot and see what happens; you can always turn it down. Plus, if you don't, you'll always wonder. Do they happen to have tuition reimbursement if you do go back?
DCMomOf3 11:23 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'd say go with your heart. If it doesn't work out you can always re-open your daycare.
I agree. And don't ever stay in the business for fear of upsetting the daycare parents. That is not the right reason to stay in this business. hospitals are where your heart is, that is where you should be. You may make less take-home but the perks and benefits probably out-weigh the difference.
JeepGirl6 11:26 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
My advice is to go to the interview. Give it your best shot and see what happens; you can always turn it down. Plus, if you don't, you'll always wonder. Do they happen to have tuition reimbursement if you do go back?
Yes, they offer Tuition reimbursement if I go back
ammama 11:30 AM 03-07-2011
I would do it - don't put the daycare families before your own. I agree with the other poster - you can always start the daycare back up if it doesn't work out.
jen 11:39 AM 03-07-2011
Yes, they offer Tuition reimbursement if I go back
I think you should go and check it out!

Congrats by the way!!!
JeepGirl6 12:10 PM 03-07-2011
So get this....My boyfriend just found out that last week was his last week for unemployment ...Also....A position that my boyfriend applied for last week( he has applied to about 20 positions in the past 3 months, finally getting a call from one) just called him for an interview...the same day I just got called for an interview....I hope that means something...This job for him is actually right behind our house within walking distance, it would be SOO perfect.. It's $15.10 an hour, a union job, full benefits and everything...His interview is tomorrow...so now it has me thinking...if he gets the insurance/benefits, should I quit my daycare? I am so up in the air about this whole thing.....What is really bothering me is I planned on paying off all our bills this summer with the extra income I am bringing in, I wasn't planning on the hospital calling me back right away...

I think I will just go for the interview...Do you think it is unprofessional to ask how much they will pay with my experience and qualifications over the phone when setting up the interview? I have never asked this before, but that is really what it comes down to is how much they are willing to pay me...

Should I hire someone to run my day care for me out of my home?
DCMomOf3 12:16 PM 03-07-2011
I do think it is not a good idea to talk money before or during the interview unless they bring it up, and even then don't try to fix into an amount. Get them to love you first so you have some leverage when it comes to talking terms.

You are asking a lot of loaded questions only you can answer. My advice is to set up the interview and go. then sleep on it. the answers will come to you, we can't make them for you.
JeepGirl6 02:25 PM 03-07-2011
So I finally had a chance to call to schedule an interview with that lady. It is a doctors office in the childrens hospital but not affilated with the hospital so they have their own insurance (not hospital insurance) so that was one downfall....hospital insurance is so good...It is a Monday through Friday position 8:30-5:00...

She gave me the directions and such and at the end of the call I had the guts to ask with my experience and qualifications how much the hourly pay would be and she said I would start out at $10.00 an hour...which is not enough for us to live on at all...I had to turn the position down 3 months ago because the $12.05 wasn't enough...So yea I am going to call her back tomorrow and tell her that I have to cancel the interview because I can't work for the $10.00...

Maybe this means something, I am praying that my boyfriend gets that job tomorrow when he has his interview....I will just keep my day care and let a couple children go so I am not so stressed and go through nursing school...Everything happens for a reason as my grandma always says
JeepGirl6 09:48 AM 03-10-2011
My boyfriend had that interview two days ago...They called him this morning and told him that he got the job.. Yah!!!!!!! Now we will have insurance when we get married, something we really worried about I feel like this was really meant to be...Thats all he has been talking about lately is not having a job because no one would call him for an interview and what we would do without insurance and retirement...he was getting really bummed out and then thought about going back to school but didn't know what for... I am so happy and proud of him!!
SandeeAR 09:52 AM 03-10-2011
Congrats! Sounds like it is all working out for you.
Tags:job change
Reply Up