Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Does It Bother Me SO MUCH....
caligirl 07:23 AM 10-10-2011
when my first drop off of the morning keeps getting here 5 minutes early. I have ALWAYS been such a timed person....... I am getting so fed up with my first child getting dropped off early......day after day.....

This morning, I just glanced at the clock, said to myself 'oh good, I have 5 more minutes, I can vacuum the playroom'......no sooner had I said that, then I see the car pull up in my driveway...it was 6:54....I OPEN AT 7:00........grrrrrrrrrrrr my front window curtains are open so she see's me.........the front door was open (not the screen, but the door).....I went to unlock the screen and said 'mama mama mama, you are FIVE minutes EARLY again! I was just going to vacuum knowing I still had 5 minutes'.......I get the usual 'sorryyyyy' I said 'well, you would NOT believe what I can get done in 5 minutes, and today was the vacuum'......she said 'you can still vacuum.' I said 'uh, NO I can't. I won't be able to vacuum now'. She then said 'well I could always wait here for 5 min'......now you KNOW I am not going to tell her 'yes, do that' because that would irritate me even more.......the point is, I don't even want to see her car pull up until 7:00......why oh why does this get under my skin SO badly. I'm in such a mood now!!
mac60 07:33 AM 10-10-2011
I totally understand. I always opened at 6:30, had a family ask if they could start at 6:15 due to moving and now other parent needed to drop off. I said yes. Well, 6:15 quickly turned into 6:05, 6:07, always before 6:15. So not only do I not get any extra for getting up and opening early by 15 min, the 15 minutes quickly turned into 20/25 min early. Ugg. That opening half hour earlier makes a big difference in my day, I know have to get up 1/2 hour earlier, and then no one else comes till 7:30. ugg again. My biggest mistake was not putting a dollar amount on opening early.....harsh lesson learned. They don't get it. They don't understand, or they simply don't care. If they started work 10 or 15 min early each day, they would get paid that extra pay, for some reason, they don't think we are worthy of it. ugg a third time.
2ndFamilyDC 07:38 AM 10-10-2011
Oh annoying big time. I do not currently have that problem but have in the past. There is so much we can do in 5 minutes. Vacuum, throw a load of clothes in the washer, wash up dishes that our family members left for us in the sink over night. 5 Minutes might not seem like much to a parent but to us it is a big chunk of time. Keep your drapes closed and door locked til 7:00 AM sharp. Tell her that if your drapes are not open your not open yet.
B Lou 07:41 AM 10-10-2011
Ok. I don't want to step on any toes here, but I have had days where as I sent my husband off to work and sat down to enjoy my coffee and 1 hour of piece and quiet, have a parent show up 45 min. early. So I guess the 5 min early wouldn't be a big deal to me. I could see 15 min ealy but really 5 min. I guess I would have turned on the cartoons for 5 min and vaccumed the floor.

I'm not trying to be rude and really don't want to offend anyone. But really I can't believe we're complaining about 5 min.
2ndFamilyDC 07:46 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by B Lou:
Ok. I don't want to step on any toes here, but I have had days where as I sent my husband off to work and sat down to enjoy my coffee and 1 hour of piece and quiet, have a parent show up 45 min. early. So I guess the 5 min early wouldn't be a big deal to me. I could see 15 min ealy but really 5 min. I guess I would have turned on the cartoons for 5 min and vaccumed the floor.

I'm not trying to be rude and really don't want to offend anyone. But really I can't believe we're complaining about 5 min.
Well I think if you give a parent 5 minutes then it turns into 8 then 12 then 20. Being taken advantage of is being taken advantage of. For some I guess it is not a big deal but to others it is. To me it is.
Kaddidle Care 07:49 AM 10-10-2011
I would have pretended not to notice them and vacuumed anyway. Open at your stated time and if they knock ignore them.

Those 5 minutes per day add up - if they need you early, make them pay for it even if it's an extra $5.00 per week.

B Lou, I hope you are charging for that extra time. If not, you are being treaded on.
sharlan 07:50 AM 10-10-2011

I don't really see the issue, either. Turn on the cartoons and vacuum. There's no point in stressing yourself out and ruining your day.
awestbrook713 07:55 AM 10-10-2011
I would say parents showing up early doesn't get to me as much as the family that when the father dropped off would be here around 5:45 and a mom that would drop off around 6:30. I would constantly have to ask who was dropping off because I don't like getting up at 5:20 if I don't have to. It would just give me time to sit and get mad about the disrespect I felt the parents were showing me. They now txt me or I txt them the night before so I know what time I need to be up and I am a happier person.
daycare 07:55 AM 10-10-2011
I know how hard it is to be on time with kids, so I allow for a 5 min grace period, however, she could sit and wait in her car if she's early.
B Lou 07:58 AM 10-10-2011
Well in my contract I give them the 5 min. lead way, but after that I charge for every 15 min. early or late. But again really 5 min.. What do we expect for them to do sit. on the corner until exact time? I mean even when I had to clock in at the grocery store they gave a 5 min lead way without the penalty.
caligirl 08:04 AM 10-10-2011

Not stepping on my toes. Like I said, I don't know why it bugs me, but it does. It probably goes WAY WAY back to when I was a medical receptionist and I'd get to work to have patients at the door waiting for me to unlock...and they would go to my window wanting me to help them before I was ready..computer wasn't on, coffee wasn't on for the doc....etc.......
so it's just a thing with me I guess. I am very scheduled and watch the clock......... now, if he weren't my first kid of the morning, I wouldn't care one bit. It's just that I need that last 5 minutes before a 10.5 hour day
B Lou 08:09 AM 10-10-2011
Well then I guess if it bothers you so much then charge her $1.00 for every min. their early. Again sorry if I offended you.
caligirl 08:10 AM 10-10-2011
Well then I guess if it bothers you so much then charge her $1.00 for every min. their early. Again sorry if I offended you.
LOL I'm not offended. Like I said, it's just me. I just needed to vent
Cat Herder 08:12 AM 10-10-2011
OP, Do you have a sign in/sign out sheet?

Also, I added some tags at the bottom left to show you that you are not alone in this.

MANY providers are equally annoyed by this.
Unregistered 08:16 AM 10-10-2011
You can get a little sign that says OPEN & CLOSED. Worked wonders for me years ago! And I agree with you, those 5 minutes is yours!
Next thing you know winter will come and it will be 10 minutes!

I suggest you do the OPEN & CLOSED sign and see if it helps. And even if your door is open (you can get one of those suction cups with a hook) keep the sign to CLOSED. And tell DCM you will turn the sign to OPEN when it is 7am!
Live and Learn 08:16 AM 10-10-2011
5 minutes a day 250 days a year adds up to 20 hours a year unpaid.
caligirl 08:21 AM 10-10-2011
Stores open at a specific time.....preschools I believe open at a specific time......etc..... I was at JoAnn's 5 min. before they opened on Saturday, I just sat in my car waiting for 10am before getting out of my car. I doubt they would open the doors 5 minutes early just for me.........I just feel that since this is a home, they just don't get it.
Kaddidle Care 08:34 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Cha-Ching!
2ndFamilyDC 08:34 AM 10-10-2011
Yep it is that first kid to arrive, you don't want them to come early, nor do you want them to be really late (cuz you could have slept in then)
Nellie 08:57 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:
Yep it is that first kid to arrive, you don't want them to come early, nor do you want them to be really late (cuz you could have slept in then)
So true. I really don't want families early because I'm normally hopping out of the shower 10 mins before open, but annoyed when they are late.

I live out in the country and you really can't see the house from the road, but I can see a little section of it. About 10 to 7 I kept seeing a car drive past slowly. Looked alot like daycare mom's car. Found out that she normally circles anywhere from 10 mins to 1 min. Some days it doesn't take as long to get in the car other days it is a long fight. Kind of felt bad that she is driving aimlessly, but I didn't say anything....
MyAngels 08:59 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Taken a step further - 20 hours = 1200 minutes x $1.00 per minute fee for early arrivals = a nice little vacation for you .
daycare 09:01 AM 10-10-2011
some one posted on here awhile back about a pin pad door lock that will not open until the time you have set for it to open for them....

Funny you mention this, I had one kid 20 min late, no call and another family 15 min early, no call.

Both will get friendly reminders "warnings" next time the early arival family gets charged.
caligirl 09:01 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Taken a step further - 20 hours = 1200 minutes x $1.00 per minute fee for early arrivals = a nice little vacation for you .
Now THAT I'd like!! Vacation money!!!!
DCMom 09:30 AM 10-10-2011
I have a separate daycare area, so I don't even unlock the door until I am open.

What bugs me even more is when families arrive late, really late with no call. I have two families that are scheduled to be here at 6:45 (when I open). Lately (the last month) neither of them have arrived before 7:30. So, have gotten into the habit of going downstairs at 6:45, turn on the lights, unlock the door and go back upstairs to read the paper, have coffee, throw in some laundry, whatever until someone.

This morning I was running a bit late and didn't get downstairs until 6:50. Dcm glaring at me through the locked door. Apparently she had decided to arrive at her scheduled time...when I opened the door she started in on how she was now going to be late for a meeting, yada, yada, yada. I just turned and looked at her straight in the eye and said, OH!? Your hours haven't changed?!? I thought they had since you haven't been here before 7:30 for the last month.

She turned and walked out the door without another word.

Sometimes you just gotta put it back on them. If they still break the rules, start charging.
Unregistered 09:37 AM 10-10-2011
I suggest that you set "your" open time five minutes before actually opening so that you have wiggle room. Five minutes doesn't bother me. I have families that travel, so to ask them to get it right on the nose is hard. but.....when I worked in a center and I was paid for only open time it would irk me to no end to get to work and have them lined up, not allowing me time to turn on the lights, start the coffee, get ready and have them walk in with me and watch me do all that. I could get there early but would not be paid for that time. I see your point, but I personally get irritated when you know a parent is done work and how long it takes for them to get to your care,and you have the last child waiting to go home. UGH!

Try the sign idea....seems like a good way to solve the problem. I would be afraid of me running over the opening time to turn the sign, doing the morning busy work and have a parent waiting on me.

I would just let the five minutes go........anything other then that I would address. Nip things when they occur instead of letting them fester is always the best way to handle situations too.
wahmof3 09:44 AM 10-10-2011
This bothers me too. Its amazing what 5 minutes does for me! I do like the open/close sign on the door. My problem is I have 1 dcf that thinks (they are contracted with me from 7:45-4:30) that because my business hours are 6:45-4:30- they can come whenever they want to in that time frame!

I am glad I am able to care for children & be home for my own, but I honestly think these dcp think we sit around all day a wait on them and we have no other life.
kendallina 09:49 AM 10-10-2011
It annoys me too. Yeh, I know it's only 5 minutes and it seems a little silly to even worry about it, but still. It's YOUR time.

My preschool starts at 9:00 sharp and drop off time is 8:50-9:00. Parents know when they enroll that I stick to that time and it even says in my handbook (and I say to the parent) that they are welcome to wait in their car until 8:50, that I will not open the door before then.

A couple of weeks ago I had a parent (who's been here for a year) just walk in at 8:46. I let her do it because I was a little shocked. The next day she came early again and I made sure I had the door locked. She knocked and when I opened the door, I just stood in front of it and said, "you're early" with a smile on my face. She stammered, "ohh....I don't know how that happened, we're usually so late. Uh...I don't know. I have a meeting a 9:00 today..." I let her in.

LOl...I guess that was enough because she hasn't been early since.
caligirl 10:15 AM 10-10-2011
Well, she knew I wasn't happy. I said it nicely when I told her she was 5 minutes early. When she got to work this is the text she sent me:

Sorry to have ruined your morning vacuum plans...I'll watch the clock more closely. Hope the rest of your day goes good!

to which I responded:

I am just rushing around in the morning while watching the clock and trying to get everything ready by 7, you would not believe what all I can do in just 5 minutes. I had just looked at the clock and said 'oh good I have time to vacuum when you pulled up'.

She obviously knew I wasn't a happy camper
C'est la vie. 10:28 AM 10-10-2011
How can anyone time their drop off by the minute? I don't understand. Is it ruraly that you live, so you never have changes in traffic?

It doesn't matter if I leave my house at the exact same time every day, I still get to work within 10 minutes. Certain not within 5 minutes.

I don't want to offend, but the onus is on you to shut the door and windows and open your door at 7. If you're letting her come in 5 minutes anyway, just because she's gotten there 5 minutes early, then thats YOU not her.

I know I get out the door as soon as I can just in case I run in to traffic on the way. My kids DCP's are my co-workers, so they know I'll stay to help him settle. I'd rather be there early and settling my kids so that there is no freak outs with drop off, than get there bang on and risk being late with my OWN classroom.

I always leave 15 extra minutes for drop off so that I'm not a "drop and run" parent that doesn't read the bulletin board or sign in properly.

Honestly if I met hostility from a caregiver because I'm prompt or over prepared, I'd be ticked off. Obviously you just open at 7, but that means you don't OPEN till 7. When you let them in then get angry that's you being a martyr. Don't let them in, don't get angry. If you let her come in every day you don't have a right to get angry. It's just passive aggressive.
MamaBear 10:39 AM 10-10-2011
I love the idea of the "Open & Closed" signs. I'm going to have to make that for my daycare. I have one mom who knocks early and it bugs me too.
Unregistered 10:49 AM 10-10-2011
For all of the people who think that 5 minutes isn't a big deal, just remember that it might only be 5 minutes now, but it can quickly become 10 minutes early/late. Then it can get worse from there.

Those 5 minutes matter. They are the OP's 5 minutes to use as she sees fit. She has set hours and the parent agreed to those hours so why should the OP have to give her more of her time because the dcm doesn't have the timing worked out. That is the parent's problem, not the OP's.

When we let things like that slide, we are telling the parents, even if we aren't conscious of it, that our time isn't as important as their time.

OP, I'm glad that you addressed this with the dcm! I hope that it turns out well.
nannyde 10:53 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by C'est la vie.:
How can anyone time their drop off by the minute? I don't understand. Is it ruraly that you live, so you never have changes in traffic?

It doesn't matter if I leave my house at the exact same time every day, I still get to work within 10 minutes. Certain not within 5 minutes.

I don't want to offend, but the onus is on you to shut the door and windows and open your door at 7. If you're letting her come in 5 minutes anyway, just because she's gotten there 5 minutes early, then thats YOU not her.

I know I get out the door as soon as I can just in case I run in to traffic on the way. My kids DCP's are my co-workers, so they know I'll stay to help him settle. I'd rather be there early and settling my kids so that there is no freak outs with drop off, than get there bang on and risk being late with my OWN classroom.

I always leave 15 extra minutes for drop off so that I'm not a "drop and run" parent that doesn't read the bulletin board or sign in properly.

Honestly if I met hostility from a caregiver because I'm prompt or over prepared, I'd be ticked off. Obviously you just open at 7, but that means you don't OPEN till 7. When you let them in then get angry that's you being a martyr. Don't let them in, don't get angry. If you let her come in every day you don't have a right to get angry. It's just passive aggressive.
When you allow a five minute early arrival you will find that the parents are there five minutes early every day. Not being able to get it down to the minute doesn't happen when they are allowed to drop off early. You would be SHOCKED at how promt to the minute people are when they are allowed an extra five minutes.

Also... five minutes turns to seven... because what's the diff of two minutes? Seven turns to ten... and ten to fifteen.

That happens in the first WEEK of allowing five minutes extra.

I wouldn't be happy with a parent that left a fifteen minute window for dropping off. I don't want to do fifteen minute arrivals and departures per kid. That would mean that I would do TWO hours of my day JUST doing arrivals.

Can you imagine?

I've been doing this for eighteen years and haven't met a parent yet who needed fifteen minutes to drop their kid off in the morning. After the first couple of weeks there isn't enough to talk about to even warrant a fifteen minute "conference" or adjustment.

If I had to do fifteen minutes per kid per day I would quit this job. I litterally couldn't do it. Two hours a day in parent conference/interviewing/bonding/adjusting/transitioning per day would be impossible with MY skill set. I need all drop and run parents. Do a minute or two of updating and then scoot off to work. If you come fifteen minutes early get out of the car and take your kid for a nice fifteen minute walk. He'll dig it and you will still have plenty of time to get to work.
Unregistered 10:59 AM 10-10-2011
DCP need to learn they can not be given "SPECIAL" rules to follow.

I tell my DCP in an interview I have a few STRICT rules and I will not budge on these;

1. I get paid on Fridays....Don't even ask and I won't have to tell you what I am telling you right now. "I get paid on Fridays in advance". There are NO excuses.

2. I open at 7:00am, not 6:58am, I close at 5:30pm, not 5:31pm. Then I have them open their cell phone and I open mine and we check to make sure we have the same time.

3. I tell them I respect you and your child and in return I ask that you respect me and my home.

4. I live on communication, lots of communication.

5. I tell them I will correct your child in front of you, if you don't and if needed I will send them to time out and you (parent) too!

6. I DO NOT give any special rules to you. ALL parents follow the same rules. Then I go on to ask them if any one at work has ever gotten special rules and how did it make them feel. I tell them with following rule...we have a loving family and the most important person is "There Child".

I rarely have to many issues. I put a newsletter out every 2 months and I list any silly things the parents do. They get a kick out of finding what they did wrong.

I am strict with my parents....but every parent would tell you how much they love me.

Do I ever have to remind them of a rule....YEP....do they get upset?....NOPE....it's called....RESPECT.
jojosmommy 11:05 AM 10-10-2011
It puts me in a terrible mood when peeople are early at drop off and or late at pick up and not b/c 5 min really matters that much but it's the respect part of it that drives me nuts.

And NO I wouldnt want them hanging around inside the house while I got something done either. Drop off and GO already!
Former Teacher 11:09 AM 10-10-2011
At my former center my hours were 6:30-2:30. I would get there between 6:15-6:20 just so I would have some time to myself before the rush. I had this one parent who everyday would be there right at 6:20. So I would write my time in as 6:20. My former director couldn't understand why I would have overtime each pay period when I was only scheduled 8 hours a day. I had explained to her that B would be there every day 10 mins before opening. Well we put a stop to that. She told the parent that licensing forbids care before 6:30 and if she was to arrive early, she would have to wait. I was then to keep the door locked until 6:30. She was totally fine with that.

I had another parent who was waiting for me at 6:15 when I pulled in. She saw me getting out of the car so she proceeded to get out of car all huffy and hissy. I said "um we aren't open yet". She said "what?" I said "we don't open up until 6:30". She said angrily "I thought ya'll opened up at 6:00!!!!!" I said cheerfully "no we open up at 6:30...when you see the lights on in front that means the door is unlocked and we are open!" SHE WAS NOT HAPPY

I could go on and on about the stories of parents arriving early and arriving late. The thing is: if you let them do it once, they will continue to do it all the time. As my mother is fond of saying: Take advantage of me once, shame on you. Take advantage of me twice, shame on me.
wdmmom 11:21 AM 10-10-2011
Do not open the curtains or the door until 7am on the dot according to the clocks in your house!!!

Put a sign on the door at pick up stating the hours of operation and that the door WILL NOT be open til 7am!

And if she starts hanging out in your driveway, tell her she can't. She can go sit at the end of the block and wait until 7am just like everyone else!

Don't let this 5 minutes ruin your day!!!

Just think...if this is happening every day, it's a matter of 21.66 hours additional per year! That could potentially be a difference of A LOT of money!!!
C'est la vie. 11:23 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
When you allow a five minute early arrival you will find that the parents are there five minutes early every day. Not being able to get it down to the minute doesn't happen when they are allowed to drop off early. You would be SHOCKED at how promt to the minute people are when they are allowed an extra five minutes.

Also... five minutes turns to seven... because what's the diff of two minutes? Seven turns to ten... and ten to fifteen.

That happens in the first WEEK of allowing five minutes extra.

I wouldn't be happy with a parent that left a fifteen minute window for dropping off. I don't want to do fifteen minute arrivals and departures per kid. That would mean that I would do TWO hours of my day JUST doing arrivals.

Can you imagine?

I've been doing this for eighteen years and haven't met a parent yet who needed fifteen minutes to drop their kid off in the morning. After the first couple of weeks there isn't enough to talk about to even warrant a fifteen minute "conference" or adjustment.

If I had to do fifteen minutes per kid per day I would quit this job. I litterally couldn't do it. Two hours a day in parent conference/interviewing/bonding/adjusting/transitioning per day would be impossible with MY skill set. I need all drop and run parents. Do a minute or two of updating and then scoot off to work. If you come fifteen minutes early get out of the car and take your kid for a nice fifteen minute walk. He'll dig it and you will still have plenty of time to get to work.
I absolutely agree that parents will come earlier and earlier if allowed. I'm pointing out that you DON'T let them in or it's your problem. If you're closed you're closed. If you're closed, letting them come in and getting mad.. you're passive aggressive.

Also, in our group care facility we really dislike the drop and runs because we're a large busy centre. Parents can't take 5 seconds to sign in and check their childrens cubbies. I also work at the centre, so if I only allowed 5 minutes to drop off both of my children to their separate rooms, i'd never get to my own room on time. I bring my kids in, sit them down for breakfast with the teachers, check to make sure they have everything they need in their cubbies, help them get their inside shoes on, then usually end up helping the staff in their rooms out by moving children or getting another child settled. I need way more than 15 minutes. And all this is if the staff doesn't have ! something they want to communicate with me or need a hand with a temper tantrum. So though you don't need 15 minutes with each parent.. my kids teachers need me for 5 minutes each usually. When drop off takes me 2 minutes per child then thats just a bonus! It gives me a chance to go pee before my shift without my daughter trying to watch. Woohoo.

I really prefer having a chance to touch base and share information with parents and hear what they have to tell me . "Johnny had a doctors appointment", "Billy was up late last night" etc. But many kids are dropped off with zero consideration for the child and their mood. It's 'breeze in, drop your crying child in their cubby, forget to sign them in and make sure they have warm enough clothing for the day and breeze out without so much as getting off their phone to say goodbye to their kids.' That's what many of our parents do. The great ones help settle their kids so that their not left as crying bundles of toddler slobber.
Kaddidle Care 11:24 AM 10-10-2011
That's what I did way back when. I watched a little girl for my neighbors who were across the street.

They knew that when I opened the blinds that I was ready for them to bring her over.

Truth be told - you're better off running the vacuum AFTER they've all gone home. At least you will have a few hours of clean.
C'est la vie. 11:32 AM 10-10-2011
I must live in a different world than some day care providers. Seriously, you'd consider telling your parents to park down the street instead of 5 minutes in front of your house? That's just odd.
My drive to work can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes depending on traffic. If I was told not to show up a minute earlier I'd be pretty irritated. So that's why I might end up earlier than expected.

When I opened at 6:30 at my old centre I just didn't unlock the doors. If a parent had to be at work by 7:00 and had arrived 10 minutes earlier than expected they could just wait until the doors were opened. No skin off my back if they had 10 minutes to play in the car with their child. 10 minutes to decompress and tickle your kid is a good thing.

If a parent wanted to drop and run early.. i just didn't allow it then there was nothing to complain about.
Unregistered 12:06 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I have a separate daycare area, so I don't even unlock the door until I am open.

What bugs me even more is when families arrive late, really late with no call. I have two families that are scheduled to be here at 6:45 (when I open). Lately (the last month) neither of them have arrived before 7:30. So, have gotten into the habit of going downstairs at 6:45, turn on the lights, unlock the door and go back upstairs to read the paper, have coffee, throw in some laundry, whatever until someone.

This morning I was running a bit late and didn't get downstairs until 6:50. Dcm glaring at me through the locked door. Apparently she had decided to arrive at her scheduled time...when I opened the door she started in on how she was now going to be late for a meeting, yada, yada, yada. I just turned and looked at her straight in the eye and said, OH!? Your hours haven't changed?!? I thought they had since you haven't been here before 7:30 for the last month.

She turned and walked out the door without another word.

Sometimes you just gotta put it back on them. If they still break the rules, start charging.
I have done this just lately also, then informed her I would no longer be open at 6:30 unless she told me the night before. I even asked if she wanted to see her sign ins for the last several months lol! She has not been here before 7:15 even once in forever. SO, now I don't go downstairs until 7am............
cheerfuldom 12:09 PM 10-10-2011
Don't open the door till 7, period. If you don't want them in the driveway, tell them your business (therefore the whole property) is not available until 7. I refuse to open my doors and then have a fee for late pickups. This has not been an issue at all for at least 6 months since I got tough
daycare 12:29 PM 10-10-2011
Ok so does anyone have a standard letter that they give out at times when this happens?

I know that some parents won't care, but I have parents that will take appropriate actions if reminded of why I need them to be on time.
Country Kids 01:07 PM 10-10-2011
All my parents show up on time thankfully! Once again, I charge by the hour so every minute they are early or later is money in my pocket. They also all use their cell phones to clock in so they will put it down to the minute=ex.7:12 AM because that is what the clock on the cell phone says.
MyAngels 01:31 PM 10-10-2011
Seriously, you'd consider telling your parents to park down the street instead of 5 minutes in front of your house?
There are plenty of reasons you might not want someone waiting in your driveway. I have a single lane driveway that widens at the back, where all of our cars are parked. Many times someone in my own family is trying to leave for work or school before my daycare families begin arriving promptly at 7:00 a.m., so having some parked in the driveway waiting on my opening time would be a problem.
wdmmom 01:34 PM 10-10-2011
I must live in a different world than some day care providers. Seriously, you'd consider telling your parents to park down the street instead of 5 minutes in front of your house? That's just odd.
My drive to work can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes depending on traffic. If I was told not to show up a minute earlier I'd be pretty irritated. So that's why I might end up earlier than expected.

When I opened at 6:30 at my old centre I just didn't unlock the doors. If a parent had to be at work by 7:00 and had arrived 10 minutes earlier than expected they could just wait until the doors were opened. No skin off my back if they had 10 minutes to play in the car with their child. 10 minutes to decompress and tickle your kid is a good thing.

If a parent wanted to drop and run early.. i just didn't allow it then there was nothing to complain about.
Yep, I'd tell them to park elsewhere or drive around. On my property = I'm liable. Insurance finds out I wasn't open yet, it's gonna raise some eyebrows.

I'd be willing to bet this DCM doesn't have to be to work until 730am, is showing up at 650-655am and it's only a 10 minute commute. This gives her time to get gas, grab a coffee, have a morning smoke, whatever.

A 10 minute drive to work would equal a contracted drop off time of 710-715am. Get gas WITH your kid, get your coffee WITH your kid, etc.

Many parents do it daily. What I'm asking isn't impossible!
Christian Mother 01:44 PM 10-10-2011
My first arrives either just before 6:15am or just a little after but she is really good about message me the night before or that morning to let me know if she is going to be late. Today she came just a couple min. early and I was totally fine with that. My door was locked, lights out, and alarm on...but I don't have any problems with 5 min early arrivals. I try to get everything done that weekend before the kids arrive and if I miss something I just carry on while they get dropped off. I put the news on so the children will go into the play room to start getting toys out or I'll put on cartoons if I need them to be out from under my feet for a few min. I just work around them. If I've noticed in the past 2 wks consistency in a early drop off or late pick up I will let that parent know I think it is time to redo our contract and find out if new hrs need to be contracted if not then I will expect to be paid for the news hrs or min. I understand and parents don't like late fees but one thing I am big time is overtime...if I am working more then what we contracted I expect to be paid for it. So I will charge an extra $5. That will hold the parents accountable for there time management. Sometimes it can't be helped that there going to be late and i do take that into effect but if it is something planned and they know they will be late they understand I will charge.
caligirl 01:46 PM 10-10-2011
Well this mom lives 2 blocks away. Her school starts at 8:30. WITH traffic it takes her 15 minutes to get to school. She said a few weeks ago when this first started, and I made a comment "wow, you are a little early, I wasn't expecting you for a another 5 minutes' that if she didn't get to this particular stop light by 7:15 then she'd be stuck there for 5 minutes......well, the stop light she is talking about is a mile away...it only takes her 3-5 minutes to get there....no reason to get to my door before 7am.
And I am only complaining because this has happened many, many times over my DC years. This isn't the first time. I changed my hours two different times to accommodate a parent....I opened at 6:30 for them instead of 7:00...they slowly started creeping in earlier and earlier until one morning I heard my doorbell at 6am, after I had just gotten out of the shower. I went to the door just because I didn't want to wake up the rest of my family....said 'you do know what time it is right?' and told her she was now 1/2 hour early and I was not ready for her child......she said 'oh, I can just sit in the playroom with her until you are ready'......to that I said 'no. please just wait in your car. I need this half hour to myself'.......what I wanted to say was 'if you have 30 min to kill here at my house, why don't you do it at home?'

I just think parent's haven't a clue. I don't think they are doing this on purpose (at least I HOPE not), I just don't think they get it.
caligirl 01:51 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
My first arrives either just before 6:15am or just a little after but she is really good about message me the night before or that morning to let me know if she is going to be late. Today she came just a couple min. early and I was totally fine with that. My door was locked, lights out, and alarm on...but I don't have any problems with 5 min early arrivals. I try to get everything done that weekend before the kids arrive and if I miss something I just carry on while they get dropped off. .
I am going to talk to her tonight. Ask her if she needs to start dropping off at 6:55 instead of 7:00.......that if that's what she needs then she just needs to let me know so that I am prepared for it. But that if she needs to drop off at 6:55, I don't want it to start getting earlier and earlier.....a minute here and a minute there.....a minute earlier each day.... 5 minutes, I can deal with IF it's been per-arranged
Christian Mother 02:04 PM 10-10-2011
Try approaching her with that for now on there will be no more drop off earlier then 7am. Let her know that you will not be opening your doors earlier than 7am. She can knock or ring the bell but you scheduled those hrs specifically for her and if she needs to renegotiate hrs you will be happy to talk about it with her but put a $$ amount to it. Or tell her if you open early for her then she needs to pick up early to make up for the extra time allowed. Nan tells it good when she says that if you put a $$ amount on extra time the parents will stop doing it. If you don't stop it right away the parents will continue. That is why I put a stop to mine right away. Bc I knew that if I didn't then pick ups and drop off would be all over the place and that is when things before unprofessional. I am a schedule person like you and nothing drives me more nutz then when someone is early or late.
Crystal 02:25 PM 10-10-2011
to Mom at early arrival " Oh my, your early. Good thing I had already taken a dump and put my clothes on"

She'll get the hint.
daycare 02:27 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
to Mom at early arrival " Oh my, your early. Good thing I had already taken a dump and put my clothes on"

She'll get the hint.
lmao water just came out my nose......
Christian Mother 02:30 PM 10-10-2011
Oh my gosh..that was my laugh of the day!! LOL!!!
NiNi.R. 02:55 PM 10-10-2011
I went through the same thing. I started locking my doors until 2 minutes before my opening time. If they came early they waited until I got to the door.

My daughter's preschool has a system where they place a decorative flag out. If the flag isn't there you aren't allowed to come in yet.
Hunni Bee 05:59 PM 10-10-2011
I was opening for my center for a while (did I mention I HATE opening??). We open at 6:30. I came in at 6 to do some tidying up in my classroom. We had two parents at the time who would get there at 5:50 sometimes just to hang around in the parking lot and shoot the breeze with each other...no life, but whatever....it was winter so it was still pitch dark outside. Neither of them had to be at work til after 7.

So they got there at 6:10 and noticed lights on upstairs. I purposely did not turn on the lights downstairs because I didn't want them to have any notion that they could get in before 6:30.

They proceeded to ring the bell, bang on the door and yell my name!! I called my director who said not to let them in. They laid on the doorbell and banged like mad women until 6:29 when I came sauntering down to their door and greeted them like I hadnt noticed them kicking the door in.
Unregistered 06:40 PM 10-10-2011
I've been to a store, a hair salon, a library, etc. a few minutes before their opening time and - guess what? Not one rushed over to open the door for me early just because I was there and trying to open the door. Simple solution? Don't open the door. Yes. Except - I feel so RUDE not answering the door to my home when someone is there, and expected, bringing their child for care, even if they're early. That is one of the problems of having a business in my home - especially a business of caring for and loving the children. Is it a business? Is it my home? How do I merge the two? Questions I deal with over and over again.
caligirl 06:32 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've been to a store, a hair salon, a library, etc. a few minutes before their opening time and - guess what? Not one rushed over to open the door for me early just because I was there and trying to open the door. Simple solution? Don't open the door. Yes. Except - I feel so RUDE not answering the door to my home when someone is there, and expected, bringing their child for care, even if they're early. That is one of the problems of having a business in my home - especially a business of caring for and loving the children. Is it a business? Is it my home? How do I merge the two? Questions I deal with over and over again.
Well there you go. That is EXACTLY how I think. E-X-A-C-T-L-Y I get angry, but at the same time, I feel rude not answering......

Anyway.....when she picked up yesterday she asked if I ever got to vacuum. I said 'of course not'.....she said 'well he would have sat quietly on the chair and watched you'......I said 'nope. Once you left, I was working, no time to clean'......then we talked about it. I asked her why she needed to drop off before 7 the past few weeks......She said that she needed to get to that light by 7:10....I said 'well, last time you told me 7:15'.......she said 'well, it's gotten worse'........so I said 'ok, so you need to drop him off at 6:55 in order to get to work at a certain time right?'.....she said 'yes'......I said 'ok then, here is the deal.....you can drop him off at 6:55 but not a minute eariler. My brain doesn't computer anything before 7am.....I see that clock and in my mind I don't start taking care of anyone until the clock strikes 7:00.....so if you honestly need to drop him off 5 minutes early, I will try and get used to that......BUT, don't be here at 6:54 because I'm going to be rushing around now as it is"..
learn-n-grow 06:38 AM 10-11-2011
I feel the exact same way. I'm glad I am not alone! There is a lot that can be done in that time and people don't understand that. Another problem I have is when they drop off late and don't call. If I knew you were gonna be late, I could have tried to squeeze in some laundry or something. Just give common courtesy to let me know you plan to be early or late so I'm not just sitting around...
Unregistered 07:15 AM 10-11-2011
I think it's the whining about things like this that gets this board the reputation it gets. Seriously, people...5 MINUTES. Let them sit in the driveway. Don't answer the door. Go about your business until it's the time you say you'll open. Just don't whine about them being there 5 minutes early if you're going to answer the door. I have a mom with a baby that shows up early all the time. She stands out on the deck. When it gets to be 7:45, I answer the door. She doesn't seem to get it, but I don't say a word about it and neither does she. Her little guy loves my wind chime so they stand and listen to it and he watches it move. Do I care that they stand out there? Heck no. When it gets cold out, am I going to rush to the door to let her in. Heck no. Eventually, she'll learn and until then, I guess she's getting a few last minutes of quality time with her kid.
SilverSabre25 07:48 AM 10-11-2011
I'm glad you got to talk to her and found out that there was a reason for her earliness. Really, I've BTDT with needing to hit a certain stop light by a certain time in order to get where I'm going on time. For me it was in high school--two minutes, two measly minutes made all the difference between sailing down the highway and getting to school at a nice, early 7:20 (school started at 7:45), and getting stuck in rush hour traffic and not getting to school until 7:35 or 7:40--and my first period class was CLEAR at the other end of my very long high school--totally opposite from the parking lot. If I was late, I got a parking spot even further back making the walk even longer...oh yes, you bet your butt I got out of there before that magic time every day.

Unregistered, I'm glad you don't have a problem with people arriving early--but I'm willing to bet that you DO have an issue with something, somewhere, somehow, that some of us may find silly and trivial. Just because you don't care, doesn't make someone who does care, wrong. It's just different. Embrace differences, and remember that yours is NOT the only opinion that counts. I would insert a flower-holding-smiley here to show that I'm trying to be nice, but we don't have one of those. :P
caligirl 07:58 AM 10-11-2011
I think it's the whining about things like this that gets this board the reputation it gets. .
Whining? I think I'm complaining, not whining. Children whine. I'm not a child. And I did say 'I don't know why' it bugs me so much. It just does.
2ndFamilyDC 08:08 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Unregistered, I'm glad you don't have a problem with people arriving early--but I'm willing to bet that you DO have an issue with something, somewhere, somehow, that some of us may find silly and trivial. Just because you don't care, doesn't make someone who does care, wrong. It's just different. Embrace differences, and remember that yours is NOT the only opinion that counts. I would insert a flower-holding-smiley here to show that I'm trying to be nice, but we don't have one of those. :P
Oh I love this...........so perfectly well said.
2ndFamilyDC 08:12 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
Whining? I think I'm complaining, not whining. Children whine. I'm not a child. And I did say 'I don't know why' it bugs me so much. It just does.
I thought this board was for us daycare providers to come together to talk, share, vent, complain about things that bug us. Everyone is intitled to their own opinions. If we cannot talk to others in our profession about things that bug us, figuring they will of course understand where we are coming from then this forum is not what I hoped it would be.

Caligirl......I did not take what you said as whining. Call it complaining if you will, but I for one appreciated your honesty because I get annoyed by the same thing.
cheerfuldom 08:26 AM 10-11-2011
I would imagine that the parents that arrive super early and hang out in the parking lot are using the car seat as a babysitter. There is less "kid on my time" when you can add an extra 30 minutes of time where your kid is physically restrained and you don't have to supervise or correct in any way. I am seeing more and more parents using a car seat inside the home even. Strap the wild toddler in and put on cartoons.
wahmof3 10:55 AM 10-11-2011
Like I said before I totally agree with the disrespect of early arrivial. The only time I can justify it is when there is bad weather & then a quick text to say Im bringing dcc early goes along way with me!

With that said- what if you contracted xx hours with dcf & they take it upon themselves to mark your contract typically they will use xx hours you agreed upon but then they put in your contract they can come & go anytime within your open hours?????
Crystal 12:54 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Like I said before I totally agree with the disrespect of early arrivial. The only time I can justify it is when there is bad weather & then a quick text to say Im bringing dcc early goes along way with me!

With that said- what if you contracted xx hours with dcf & they take it upon themselves to mark your contract typically they will use xx hours you agreed upon but then they put in your contract they can come & go anytime within your open hours?????
If they took upon themselves to change the contract they wouldn't recieve a space in my program. That is the ultimate disrespect and I'd stop it before it went any further.
nannyde 12:56 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by wahmof3:

that would never happen

They would be given a fresh spankin new contract and a do over or they would be gone.
caligirl 01:06 PM 10-11-2011
And again, to those who don't understand my pet peeve.....my issue was with the first child arriving in the morning. The children that arrive later aren't always on the minute....in fact, they tend to arrive within a 15 minute window, which I couldn't care less about....it's that very first drop off of the morning, before my doors are 'officially open' that I was referring to
caligirl 01:07 PM 10-11-2011

That would never happen

ha ha! Agreed!!!
Unregistered 01:25 PM 10-11-2011
Yes, dear, you ARE whining. You can do something about it, but you haven't so you have nothing to complain about. That means you are WHINING. You could choose to ignore her until 7, as I suggested, but instead you chose to let her in and then come here so you have something new to WHINE about.
wahmof3 01:54 PM 10-11-2011

that would never happen

They would be given a fresh spankin new contract and a do over or they would be gone.
Working on that as we speak
Blackcat31 02:00 PM 10-11-2011
Yes, dear, you ARE whining. You can do something about it, but you haven't so you have nothing to complain about. That means you are WHINING. You could choose to ignore her until 7, as I suggested, but instead you chose to let her in and then come here so you have something new to WHINE about.
Nothing to do with WHAT you said (we are all entitled to our opinions), just that you could find a more constructive and supportive way to say it.

Just sayin.
caligirl 02:02 PM 10-11-2011
Wow. Thanks mom!
Kaddidle Care 02:21 PM 10-11-2011
Did anyone notice it's a full moon?
daycare 02:26 PM 10-11-2011
Wow. Thanks mom!
would you like some cheese with that whine!@! lol Its that time of the month.... I have not seen one in while, but looks like its troll season....
Kaddidle Care 02:37 PM 10-11-2011
I'm not allowed to say that anymore on this forum. Snickers....
2ndFamilyDC 02:40 PM 10-11-2011

I think your being very disrespectful to this person. Your continuing to badger her. This forum is for everyone to come to and be treated with respect. If you don't get her point then just back out of this thread and move on.
caligirl 02:42 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
would you like some cheese with that whine!@! lol Its that time of the month.... I have not seen one in while, but looks like its troll season....
LOL I was actually cracking up at her response!!
caligirl 02:45 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Did anyone notice it's a full moon?
I think it is !!
Crystal 02:46 PM 10-11-2011
well, geez, sounds like you're whining about her whining. Don't you have anything more important to "fuss about"
2ndFamilyDC 02:49 PM 10-11-2011
I just had to go check my webster dictionary on this, here is the real definitions of whining and complaining.

Whine – to utter a high pitched sound, as in pain or fear.

Complain – to express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment
snowball 04:27 PM 10-11-2011
The funny thing is....if a daycare provider opened her door 5 minutes late it would be unprofessional and 5 minutes WOULD be a big deal.
I just would not answer the door.
daycare 04:31 PM 10-11-2011
OMG yes you are soooo right,.,... great point you have..
Unregistered 04:33 PM 10-11-2011
For pete's sake people, I started out nice, but was called out even though my post was in agreement with several other people's posts. You think I shouldn't defend myself and just take it. NO, I don't think so. I have the right to my opinion just like you do and just because mine was worded a little differently, you attack.
snowball 04:46 PM 10-11-2011
For pete's sake people, I started out nice, but was called out even though my post was in agreement with several other people's posts. You think I shouldn't defend myself and just take it. NO, I don't think so. I have the right to my opinion just like you do and just because mine was worded a little differently, you attack.
I was nice too. I was just pointing out the double standard.
wahmof3 04:49 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by snowball:
the funny thing is....if a daycare provider opened her door 5 minutes late it would be unprofessional and 5 minutes would be a big deal.
I just would not answer the door.
amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
daycare 04:50 PM 10-11-2011
This may sound sharp, but you reap what you sow.
sharlan 05:05 PM 10-11-2011
IMHO, this would be a non issue for me. If parents show up 5 mins early and catch me in my bathrobe, oh, well, no biggie. Now, if they show up 5 mins after closing, that's a big deal.

For the OP, the 5 mins is a big deal, she's entitled to that.

The joy of this profession, whether it be babysitter or provider, we operate under our rules, as long as we follow state guidelines. If parents don't like it, then they can make other arrangements.
Meyou 05:07 AM 10-12-2011
I don't unlock the front door, turn on the playroom lights or open the curtains before 7:30am. If they're out there early and want to come in I have no way to know that.
Cat Herder 09:48 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I don't unlock the front door, turn on the playroom lights or open the curtains before 7:30am. If they're out there early and want to come in I have no way to know that.
Same.....then I do my rain dance and keep my fingers crossed for hail....

Just kidding....

My clients rates include $1 per minute early/late arrival fee based on their arrival times (driveway alarm)....so I meet them at the door grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
Mamma wants some new sweaters this season....

It is up to me whether or not I cut them a break depending on if it is a rare occurance or becoming a pattern. Early or Late times are also noted on the sign in sheet in red ink. Sometimes perceived peer pressure also helps keep folks in check.
Blackcat31 10:02 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Early or Late times are also noted on the sign in sheet in red ink. Sometimes perceived peer pressure also helps keep folks in check.
Ha, I do that do too!

I also do it for forms that need to be returned by a certain date and find the habitually late parents are a lot faster at complying when their names are highlighted.....
CheekyChick 11:13 AM 10-12-2011
I have to agree with you... 5 mintues before I open, I am usually half dressed and curling my hair. I HATE when parents show up early. It's one of my pet peeves, I guess.
Tags:early, early arrival, early arrival - policy, early arrival fee
Reply Up