Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Broken Books
Sunchimes 02:26 PM 03-20-2012
How do you mend a broken book? (Did anyone else want to break into song when they read that sentence?)

I have a great board book that is a favorite of all the kids. One of the little ones stood it on it's end, then leaned on it and broke the spine. I really hate to throw it away, but I can't figure out how to repair it. I'm pretty sure a glue gun wouldn't hold. Any other suggestions.

PS. I won't throw it away. I could probably just take it apart and use the pages alone. It isn't a story, just pictures of things, colors, animals, etc. But I'd still rather it was whole.
Country Kids 02:30 PM 03-20-2012
Don't know how to mend the broken book but I do know how to drive myself insane all afternoon with the song going through my head! Oh, well its a great song.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 03-20-2012
I use clear tape like packing tape. I usually add the tape BEFORE I put the books out. Adding the tape is just my way of reinforcing the spines of the books. I don't know if it actually helps but I like to think it does.

....and great, now I can't get that song out of my head either. Good thing I like it!
daycare 02:35 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use clear tape like packing tape. I usually add the tape BEFORE I put the books out. Adding the tape is just my way of reinforcing the spines of the books. I don't know if it actually helps but I like to think it does.

....and great, now I can't get that song out of my head either. Good thing I like it!
what song is that... I love songs....
Country Kids 02:37 PM 03-20-2012
It "How do you mend a broken heart" by the BeeGees.
daycare 02:41 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
It "How do you mend a broken heart" by the BeeGees.
lol OMG I thought that there was really a song called how to mend a broken book...hahhahahah ok you can laugh too.....

thanks for explaining for me.......(drum beat...)
Blackcat31 02:44 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
what song is that... I love songs....
I remember the Bee Gees version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZInWGC5L2T8

I think it was originally put out by Al Green
Country Kids 02:45 PM 03-20-2012
I quickly was telling my daughter about this thread and she just gives me this look-.

I just know she is going to have me committed one day because she just doesn't understand the humor behind these conversations I have with you guys.
daycare 02:47 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I quickly was telling my daughter about this thread and she just gives me this look-.

I just know she is going to have me committed one day because she just doesn't understand the humor behind these conversations I have with you guys.
its ok some times I am LOL and my husband will ask what is so funny...When I tell him he looks at me like I am crazy....
Sunchimes 06:16 PM 03-20-2012
I'm sorry for the earworm. I didn't think most of you were old enough to get it.

Tape wouldn't work--and wouldn't have helped in this case. The cover was bent backwards so far that it snapped the pages away from the spine. Maybe I'll just try some gorilla glue and see what happens.
Blackcat31 08:37 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm sorry for the earworm. I didn't think most of you were old enough to get it.
Oh, totally old enough! I am a big fan of the Bee Gees! DH makes fun of me but I don't care! LOL!!

Tape wouldn't work--and wouldn't have helped in this case. The cover was bent backwards so far that it snapped the pages away from the spine. Maybe I'll just try some gorilla glue and see what happens.

Yeah, the way it is broken I would think glue is your only hope. I hate when books get ruined.

I answered in bold
Meyou 02:54 AM 03-21-2012
If you can't repair it you could get a little binder and use those sheet protectors to keep each page safe. I hate when books get hurt.
Tags:book, book - fixing
Reply Up